Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a union rep

Options
  • 15-11-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I have been approached by a colleague at work about becoming one of the union reps in my workplace.

Is there a thread on Boards where union reps can discuss common problems and issues? I have not seen one but if there is one, I would be grateful to be directed to it.

If there isn't one, maybe it is time there was.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Not a single response, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd be very careful about accepting, it's something that can quickly mark you as a trouble-maker and hold your career back. I'm sure it's illegal to discriminate between employees on such a basis but I'd imagine another reason would be found to promote someone else over the union rep.

Thanks for that, but I actually don't mind being a bit of a stirrer - in my organisation it probably helps to be known that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'd be very careful about accepting, it's something that can quickly mark you as a trouble-maker and hold your career back. I'm sure it's illegal to discriminate between employees on such a basis but I'd imagine another reason would be found to promote someone else over the union rep.

As the OP said, in some organisations it can also be of benefit for promotions.

Is there a thread on Boards where union reps can discuss common problems and issues? I have not seen one but if there is one, I would be grateful to be directed to it.

I dont think an online forum would be as beneficial as meeting other reps. These will be your experienced goto people for advice rather than relying on advice from a public forum (and even the paid officials). Even if you were getting advice from genuine reps on a forum, a phone conversation will probably yield better results than a quick reply on a keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd suggest that you meet each of the other reps in your workplace to find out what the role entails there then talk to the organiser (or whatever their title is) of that particular Union in your region/sector. That should give you a reasonable idea of Union's view of the work involved.

I've never really seen Unions reps discuss problems online in this fashion. Due to the HR issues and workplace politics involved I'd say that it's generally best if they keep their communication within their own advice and legal structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I did the rep-thing for three years (overseas), and it was the best management training I've ever had: I had to support bollox's who 120% deserved to be fired, but their managed had F***D up the process, so they couldn't be. Frustrating as.

In some organisations, yes, it is a career-enhancing step.

Even if your organisation isn't one of those, it can also open up routes into careers you may never have thought of, and help you develop knowledge and skills in areas outside your day-to-day job. And it gives you a better understanding of industrial processes, for when you come across them later in your career.

OP, I'll happily support any threads you start here - but I haven't seen too many boardsies say they're reps, so they may be rather quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

OP, I'll happily support any threads you start here - but I haven't seen too many boardsies say they're reps, so they may be rather quiet.
    I'd have thought it might be difficult to discuss issues here on a public forum, without breaching confidentiality.

OP might be better off talking to the union to see if they have, or would set up, a private forum for reps to engage with each other.

I cannot see any reason why union people on a pseudonymous forum like this cannot discuss matters of common concern. Each poster would surely know if he/she is saying something that would identify an individual, and refrain from such a posting.

Also, many union reps (including me) have problems with our union leadership, and we may not want to discuss that on an actual union website.

I cannot see any reason why union people on a pseudonymous forum like this cannot discuss matters of common concern. Each poster would surely know if he/she is saying something that would identify an individual, and refrain from such a posting.

Also, many union reps (including me) have problems with our union leadership, and we may not want to discuss that on an actual union website.

If I found out my union rep was discussing my personal issue on a 'pseudonymous forum', I'd be more than a bit pissed off. If those posts were ever made public its not too difficult to assign identities to the poster and any individual referenced in the post.

As an ex union rep here's my advice, go to branch and other union meetings. Get to know other union reps who will be of more benefit that the useless full time officials we had. The more serious the issue, the more likely I was to contact the full time official and get them to do something.

• Advertisement

No no no, I do NOT mean we would discuss individual issues. This would be about collective issues, and it would also be about the common experiences/gripes of being a union rep.

As for the old mantra of "go to branch meetings", I find this simply is not good enough in 2012. For one thing, branch meetings are few and far between, and for another, they are usually dominated by the in-group of the day.

That is why there is a real need for union matters to be discussed online, a need which as far as I can see is not currently being met.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jenniferalan

Op what trade union are u a member of?

I am in Impact (or Limited Impact as I prefer to call it!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

As an ex-SIPTU shop steward in a job I did many years ago, I would say only go for the position of union representative if you enjoy the head melt of getting your àrse kicked from both sides- from the employees you're asked to represent, to the management you're supposed to present to

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Those of us in the Union in my workplace have been directed by Management to have a Union Rep because senior management would like to have someone to talk through stuff on a bi-annual (or so basis). I appear to be the only one with any interest in doing the 'job' but I have no clue, apart from representing my colleagues, what the role entails. Any help??

I am reluctant to take it on as my personal circumstances are changing over the next few months and not sure I'll be able to give it the time it needs/deserves.

Is it better to have a reluctant Rep than no rep at all??

It is always better to have a rep. However, you should get advice from your actual union about how to do the job. Contact your union's HQ about this.

lang wrote: »
    Is it better to have a reluctant Rep than no rep at all??

Yes.

But for your own sake, if your company culture is one of conflict then dont do it unless you are really interested.

If you have a progressive management or relaxed atmosphere then one advantage of being a union rep is future promotion prospects - lets say your competing for promotion, at least management will know who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Thanks for the replies. Turns out that there is already a Union Rep in the job (The person was not in when the issue was being discussed the other day) so I don't have to be a reluctant Rep afterall. It is something that I think I'd be interested in doing sometime in the future though.

Advertisement