Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4g auction today.

• 15-11-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi all. I have a quick question. The recently auctioned lots of frequency for the 4g. When the service actually becomes available in 2013 if it is available in my area will it make any difference to the connection speed or speed of data transfer. I have read 800mhz and other frequencies were auctioned. So is there a better frequency to choose from when the service becomes available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

Knowing it's Ireland, its gonna take afew yrs before we see 4g up and running. Government gonna make over €800m + auctioning the bandwith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,530 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

rob180 wrote: »
    Knowing it's Ireland, its gonna take afew yrs before we see 4g up and running. Government gonna make over €800m + auctioning the bandwith.

Why say this when the phone companies who have paid the money have said they will roll out 4g next year?

The fact that the auction has no happened has got 'Ireland' out of the way and the networks will be very keen to roll out 4g to recoup their investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Shazer01 wrote: »
    I have read 800mhz and other frequencies were auctioned. So is there a better frequency to choose from when the service becomes available?

From what I understand, the lower frequencies are better and are stronger over longer distances. Three didn't pick up any 800 Mhz in the auction though.

4G might make some difference to you but it's more likely to if you have 4G equipment. It should tend to strengthen 3G as pressure is likely to be taken off that spectrum with the introduction of 4G

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Shazer01

Jev/N wrote: »

From what I understand, the lower frequencies are better and are stronger over longer distances. Three didn't pick up any 800 Mhz in the auction though.

4G might make some difference to you but it's more likely to if you have 4G equipment. It should tend to strengthen 3G as pressure is likely to be taken off that spectrum with the introduction of 4G

Thank you very much. Exactly what I wanted to know. I'm with meteor 3g which in my area are excellent. I bought a huawei e586 on Ebay. Put old Sim card and Put it in the e586 I now get speeds of10 megs and higher. 4g should be good as well. Using the old huawei device supplied by meteor usually gave me 3 or 4 megs.
    Just thought I'd mention it.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement