Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would you parachute into Tipp to represent us at Cabinet?

Options
  • 15-11-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭

Who would you parachute into Tipp to represent us at Cabinet.

In the next General Election the two present constituencies of Tipperary North and Tipperary South currently returning 3 TD's each will be joined to form one 5 seat constituency.

South Tipperary have not had a representative at the Cabinet Table for 50 or 60 years with the exception of a four and a half month period when C.J. Haughy was Taoiseach.

I think that Fine Gael would do well to find a person of immediate cabinet potential to represent them in the constituency.

Bye the way I have great respect for Alan Kelly and I do hope he takes a seat for Labour at the next election.

I wonder if Fiona O'Malley or Liz O'Donnell would be interested in getting back into politics through the Tipperary route. Tipperary needs a strong voice in Government.

Any ideas?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You're thinking of the UK where people get parachuted into areas despite knowing zero about the place

The Dubs rejected those two and you want them to arrive in Tipp and get our votes?

Why would we vote for Dublins rejects?

How about a Tipperary person to represent Tipp....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You're thinking of the UK where people get parachuted into areas despite knowing zero about the place

The Dubs rejected those two and you want them to arrive in Tipp and get our votes?

Why would we vote for Dublins rejects?

How about a Tipperary person to represent Tipp....

Great to see a Tipp person represent Tipp I would agree.

I remember Sile DeValera representing Clare from a distance, I am sure there are other examples, parachuting is not new in Irish politics. The most important thing is that we get the best person to represent us. Maybe other posters here can give examples, as far as I know in the past, many TD's in Dublin did not always live in the area they represented.

A person of the highest political integrity and a genuine drive to serve the State would not take much time to ascertain the needs of a County like Tipperary for the most part it has a very good road structure and a low density population.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Never mind parachuting people in,I would pack the one's we have already into a hotair balloon,and send them off on their way,like politicial chinese lanterns.I am surprised the hide and seek game Michael Lowery played with a newspaper reporter and ran into someone elses house is not talked about more.It can be found on youtube...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Michael Lowry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Xenophile wrote: »
    Great to see a Tipp person represent Tipp I would agree.

I remember Sile DeValera representing Clare from a distance, I am sure there are other examples, parachuting is not new in Irish politics. The most important thing is that we get the best person to represent us. Maybe other posters here can give examples, as far as I know in the past, many TD's in Dublin did not always live in the area they represented.

A person of the highest political integrity and a genuine drive to serve the State would not take much time to ascertain the needs of a County like Tipperary for the most part it has a very good road structure and a low density population.

Are you honestly that naive? The current incumbants are little more than glorified county councillers. While i appreciate seamus healy's mandate he's completely irrelevant to me. i cant think of anyone i know voting for him. matty is an opportunist-look at the waffle around the 'wildlife' bill a few years back. Hayes while popular locally isn't really capable of a cabinet position.

Every td's primary objective is re-election, not just our ones. There is ZERO chance of a parachuted candidate never mind a td. I dont castigate the td's-they just play the game in which they find themselves. The people give them a mandate-unfortunately. I'd love to see a case where the most capable people serve in ministries. Look at stephen donnelley. He's been talking complete sense since he entered the dail and is one of the few to have a grasp of the economic situation. yet he'll NEVER serve in cabinet. Instead our political system gives us the likes of phil hogan, enda kenny, brian cowan etc.... all serving in strategic positions:rolleyes:

I presume your post relates to a cabinet member? If so, voting for matty or healy is a complete waste. Cabinet members are picked on a number of criteria: capability, marginal seat/geography, closeness to the taoiseach etc. FG will nearly always hold a seat in south tipp, they'll never get two. kenny doesn't need to ingreciate himself to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

If I was asked who would be the last people to come out of enforced retirement for that gig,it would have to be those two.
    They and their stupid party and leaders of same, to a man and woman were everything that is bad to the bone about Irish politics and grabbed and held on to power for their own personal self interests starting from Des o Malley and ending with Ciaran Cannon who is still playing musical chairs for power and I cant bring myself to mention the ones in between these chancers.Liz o Donnell was possibly the laziest TD, and this trait probably affected her much anticapated TV career, around Leinster house and as for Fiona,I can only remember her getting a lot of publicty dressing up in stupid outfits like Blackadderbut powerfull jobs were still thrown at them.
    Thing is we all want to get away fron parish pump politics but the reason most people want a minister in their constiuency is that they have the power then to throw money at their constiuents.

digzy wrote: »

I presume your post relates to a cabinet member?

Yes see my opening post.

tipptom wrote: »
    .Liz o Donnell was possibly the laziest TD, and this trait probably affected her much anticapated TV career, around Leinster house and as for Fiona,I can only remember her getting a lot of publicty dressing up ..........
    Thing is we all want to get away fron parish pump politics but the reason most people want a minister in their constiuency is that they have the power then to throw money at their constiuents.

Liz O'Donnell has a very good political brain, I have never seen or heard of anyone accusing her of being lazy.

Fiona O'Malley is the one TD. I remember who fought a tireless campaign against the introduction of the now proven fiasco of electronic voting machines.

Bye the way the spelling in your post shows a lot of laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Xenophile wrote: »
    Liz O'Donnell has a very good political brain, I have never seen or heard of anyone accusing her of being lazy.

Fiona O'Malley is the one TD. I remember who fought a tireless campaign against the introduction of the now proven fiasco of electronic voting machines.

Bye the way the spelling in your post shows a lot of laziness.
    So because you, going by your post being such a smartarse have never heard it,thats it then.Interesting that you bring up two failed PDs of all past and present partys.

By the way,(Fiona o malley is one TD.),what does that mean.Notice my spelling is BY not BYE.

Advertisement