Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with hardware supplies store

Options
  • 15-11-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some advice on this - not sure if I have the right to request compensation.

My wife and I are flooring our attic, just with plywood. My wife went to a hardware store which is located about 15 minutes from our house. She asked if the plywood could be delivered the next day between 10 and 11am, and was advised that this is possible. Based on this information she placed a purchase and paid for the goods in full on the spot.

We contacted our handyman who had agreed to the work and he advised he would come to the house before 10am and take the delivery and get to work. My wife and I had to go to our jobs so the handyman had to be there to take the delivery.

The plywood wasn't delivered until after 4pm, our handyman had waited half the day for the delivery. The driver rang my wife and advised he was there, she advised not to leave the product and it was returned back to the store.

I rang the store and spoke to the boss, who has offered to deliver tomorrow morning or give our money back so no issues in that respect. My query is about my handyman, who wishes to be paid for his time. As the sale was made on the agreement of a specific time (and I would understand if it was an hour or two out of this timeframe) do I have any grounds to request compensation for my handyman's time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You could try and ask, but I doubt there is anything legally you can actually do, otherwise every chancer would be trying it if they heard a shop compensated like this.

I would be pessimistic and expect deliveries like this to be late, so if I was relying on it I would have overstressed the need for it to be on time, and tell them the guy would be there waiting who is paid by the hour. They might have given you priority then, as they probably just thought you had somebody living there at home all day.

If the handyman had any cop on he would have rang you and could have gone to get it himself if it was 15mins away, or you could have rang the company to tell them the importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LuvSpudz

rubadub wrote: »
    You could try and ask, but I doubt there is anything legally you can actually do, otherwise every chancer would be trying it if they heard a shop compensated like this.
    Just contacted the consumer rights people who have advised the specific timescale agreement not being honoured is a breach of contract and as such I am entitled to my money back, which they have offered, but consumer law doesn't cover compensation like this, would have to go down the route of a lawyer if I wanted to take it further.
    I would be pessimistic and expect deliveries like this to be late, so if I was relying on it I would have overstressed the need for it to be on time, and tell them the guy would be there waiting who is paid by the hour. They might have given you priority then, as they probably just thought you had somebody living there at home all day.
    To my knowledge they were advised we would have a worker there (my wife made the purchase and isn't home from work yet!) and as I had stated an hour or two out I would almost expect, but to be a full six hours late when 15 minutes away.... the owner did mention suppliers to me today but that is his concern not mine, the time should not have been agreed if it couldn't be met, and we could have easily changed everything to Friday, including the handyman.
    If the handyman had any cop on he would have rang you and could have gone to get it himself if it was 15mins away, or you could have rang the company to tell them the importance.
    I agree he should have rang us, I haven't been speaking to him personally yet (this has literally all just happened today!) so I don't know the full story there.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LuvSpudz

Wife is home, time for an update!

It was the boss himself who took over the sale and advised my wife without any suggestion from her that the delivery would be 10 - 11am! My handyman was then advised of this and we arranged things accordingly. I now have several words to describe this man and his operation which would get the mods on my case :D

My wife then agreed to this and she did indeed state that neither of us would be there, that the worker who would be carrying out the task would be waiting for the delivery.

Regarding the handyman himself, he came in his car with just the tools needed for the job and couldn't have brought the metres of plywood using this (well not easily). He did attempt to call my wife but she couldn't answer due to the nature of her work.

Advertisement