Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

djPSB wrote: »

Sh1t players.

So nothing whatsoever to do with the manager?

Benzino wrote: »

Means nothing. There are plenty of internationals out there not good enough to challenge for the top 4.

The fact is, we never replaced the midfield of Alonso, Masch and Gerrard. We haven't had a solid LB in years, and the same can be said for wing positions also. And since Torres left, we haven't replaced him with and out and out goal-scorer (Suarez is not a replacement for Torres).

Add to that Reina is not performing to his high standards for some time, and our over-reliance on young players (Sterling, Suso, Allen, Shelvey and Borini), we simply do not have the squad to challenge for the top 4. Should we be doing better? Yes, but not by much imo with our squad.

Look at the teams ahead of us please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rodgers does however have the benefit of 1) a fit Agger and 2) a £15m pound player who can cover for Lucas

Sorry even if Rodgers got a Fit Agger, there's no denying that he's been costing us goals. Same with Skrtel.

And Allen? Kenny has Adam. It's not Rodger's fault that Kenny bought a player that can't defend.
    We've prettying played everyone once in the league. Comparing season to date with the same time period last year in order to establish whether or not there has been an improvement is the only fair thing. Comparing to Kenny's last batch of games when our league campaign was over is idiotic.

It's only idiotic when it doesn't suit you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

We have shipped 26 Goals this season. Last 19 Games for Kenny saw us conceding 25.

So what were you saying again?

In your opinion? Well, I beg to differ. You seem to forget, unlike Kenny, Rodgers didn't get a Ton of Transfer Funds, to actually change anything of note.

So what your saying is, KK's results over the second half of the season got him the sack, and Brendan took over the same team, made it a little worse and we are somehow playing better and improving?

We had the 3rd best defence in the league last year, pick out stats all you want to dress things up.

Its actually cringey the lengths that people are going to in an effort to defend Rodgers.

Lads, nice fella and all as he is, he doesn't deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Walcott .. sure why not :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Walcott on absolute fire in the Newcastle game. I don't think we've a hope of getting him now unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sorry even if Rodgers got a Fit Agger, there's no denying that he's been costing us goals. Same with Skrtel.

And Allen? Kenny has Adam. It's not Rodger's fault that Kenny bought a player that can't defend.

It's only idiotic when it doesn't suit you.

Kenny also had Henderson and bought Coates as cover at centre back.

Can we all just agree now that anything less than a win tomorrow is not acceptable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Its hard to believe that Sturridge and Ince could be joining us for more than what it would cost for Ba and Walcott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Leiva wrote: »
    Are you for real?

We have some seasoned internationals starting week in week out, and have by far the best squad of those around or dismal league position.

No excuses. Rodgers is not getting the best out of his current crop.
    I think we are overrating our attacking options to be honest. Suarez is obviously class, but after that we don't really have anyone you could have a decent amount of confidence in to deliver consistently.

I think we are overrating our attacking options to be honest. Suarez is obviously class, but after that we don't really have anyone you could have a decent amount of confidence in to deliver consistently.

If that's true maybe we shouldn't have bought the totally unproven Borini? Or gotten rid of Bellamy, Kuyt, Maxi and Carroll?

Regardless, it's Rodgers fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Its actually cringey the lengths that people are going to in an effort to defend Rodgers.

Lads, nice fella and all as he is, he doesn't deserve it.

I find it cringey how posters revel when LFC lose so they can blow smoke out of their own arse and point the finger at Rogers.

What people were expecting from Liverpool this season is beyond me and this thread is just becoming tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

mav79 wrote: »
    Its hard to believe that Sturridge and Ince could be joining us for more than what it would cost for Ba and Walcott.

Yeah but the first two want to join. Not sure the latter two would be all that interested now.

That said you never know until you try.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

If that's true maybe we shouldn't have bought the totally unproven Borini? Or gotten rid of Bellamy, Kuyt, Maxi and Carroll?

I was of the understanding that Bellamy, Kuyt, and Maxi all left out of their own accord and that Rodgers stated he would've liked to keep alll three?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Totally disagree about Rafa's final season. That season it was still a shock when we lost, Rafa & the players seemed genuinely ****ing jinxed. Freak games. Freak decisions. Freak season. But throughout it, he and the players seemed convinced they could rescue it & came pretty ****ing close a few times.

Since then however, I agree. There seems to be a resignation that it's ok for us to lose games. Not helped by Hodgson talking us down so much (a draw against Everton would've been Utopia), Dalglish not being as critical as he should have been on a few occasions last season, and Rodgers seeming to think that we've been brilliant more often than not this season.

The rot started that season imho amongst some of the players, with that rot then carrying on (and was added to by newer players) and getting worse as each following season came and went. It is not a knock on Rafa because I have no doubts at all that the man was hurting a hell of a lot more about the results than many of those that he trusted to go out onto the pitch.

It is easy to blame freak decisions and freak games, but we seem to have being doing that all of last season as well as with various decisions this season.

We lost only 2 league games during the 08/09 season

followed by

11 league losses during the 09/10 season

14 league losses during the 10/11 season

14 league losses during the 11/12 season

It is not too hard to see where the collapse started, and then where it just got worse as more losses appeared and more draws appeared.

This season we are on 6 league losses at the halfway point, so that in theory has us on course for 12 losses.

We can blame freak events, beachballs, refs, the FA or anything else that takes our fancy, but since the 2009/10 season losing in and around a third of the league games we play has become the norm. At some point we have to start looking beyond the external excuses and at the decline as a whole in order to really grasp how massive a job the rebuilding process is at this point.

We have been writing off season after season of late, when what we needed was a clear and concise plan, be it a three year plan, a five year plan etc., that took into account that the start of any process would be rough.

Do we have such a plan right now? Effed if I know, because we have had as much by way of disharmony behind the scenes as on the pitch for a time now, but this season sees us again with a new manager that is trying to plug up the massive hole that was waiting at the club when he arrived.

The few things I am sure of is that this January will show the current owners as being good on their words from September 1st or as bullsh1tters. They will either back the man they hired to a reasonable degree or be seen as effectively handing him his metaphorical tanto to commit football seppuku.

I am also pretty sure that we have a man at the helm who gives a damn about the club, and who is buying into what the club means to many. That in itself will buy him time with me, just as it had me willing to accept the idea last May of Kenny getting another year. It is the very same thing lacking in Hodgson that saw me against him early doors.

Wish I had more to look forward to from my club in the short term, but right now it seems a case of digging in and just roaring on the shirt when at games, or sitting and hoping when watching the team on a screen.

Rodgers needs this transfer window and the next at the very least to put out a team that is pretty much his own (assuming we don't have the collapse to beat all between now and the summer). In order to do that he needs two things in particular. The first is the aforementioned backing from the owners, the second is for us supporters to dream small in the short term, and by dream small I don't mean accept mediocracy, but rather be fuelled by realistic short term expectations over bouts of scepticism and impatience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Alan have you come up with a realistic replacement yet? Someone who you think can lead Liverpool back to glory?

I'd genuinely love to hear as everyone knows you want Rodgers gone but who can we get that will replace him and in your opinion dramatically improve us?

Also can I just say I think your opinion on Pulis is an interesting one. I'm surprised you weren't happy when we hired Hodgson as he had miraculously saved Fulham and turned them into a top half premier league team, of course that didn't go so well for Liverpool.

murpho999 wrote: »

I find it cringey how posters revel when LFC lose so they can blow smoke out of their own arse and point the finger at Rogers.

What people were expecting from Liverpool this season is beyond me and this thread is just becoming tiresome.

No one is revelling in it.

I expected us to at least maintain a top 8 finish in the league, but realistically to improve our league position as I felt Kenny underperformed in the league last season.

That's what everyone expected at the time. That's why we were changing manager.

It's only since we've been so ****e this season that people have started saying that things were always going to get worse. Total goalpost moving bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Rodgers does however have the benefit of 1) a fit Agger and 2) a £15m pound player who can cover for Lucas

We've pretty much played everyone once in the league. Comparing season to date with the same time period last year in order to establish whether or not there has been an improvement is the only fair thing. Comparing to Kenny's last batch of games when our league campaign was over is idiotic.

Last batch of games? We were muck from January onwards - half the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Read back over the thread, I've already answered this frankly idiotic point.

Oh sorry, yeah our league campaign was over by Jan :rolleyes: So when does
    Look at the teams ahead of us please. Thanks.

Like I said, we should be doing better than we are, however I believe we a mid-table club, and the fact we have finished around 7th for 3 years on the go now supports this. The league table doesn't lie.

I find it unbelievable that some people are not willing to give the man 2 transfer windows to sort out the many issues this squad of players have. There are major issues in this squad, issues that cannot be rectified in 1 or 2 transfer windows.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    They will either back the man they hired to a reasonable degree or be seen as effectively handing him his metaphorical tanto to commit football seppuku.

This is my favourite sentence to be posted on boards :D

tok9 wrote: »
    Alan have you come up with a realistic replacement yet? Someone who you think can lead Liverpool back to glory?

I'd genuinely love to hear as everyone knows you want Rodgers gone but who can we get that will replace him and in your opinion dramatically improve us?

Also can I just say I think your opinion on Pulis is an interesting one. I'm surprised you weren't happy when we hired Hodgson as he had miraculously saved Fulham and turned them into a top half premier league team, of course that didn't go so well for Liverpool.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Pulis at Liverpool. He's not good enough. Like Hodgson. But both are better than Rodgers currently. That's how ****ed up his appointment is proving to have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

daithijjj wrote: »
    So what your saying is, KK's results over the second half of the season got him the sack, and Brendan took over the same team, made it a little worse and we are somehow playing better and improving?

We had the 3rd best defence in the league last year, pick out stats all you want to dress things up.

Why do you guys keep tip-toeing the issue here? Is it because he's a Legend? Kenny got the sacked not only because of bad league performance, it's also because he spent TON OF MONEY on top of that.

Players that are of the absolute **** that we will be taking huge losses just by selling them, that is if anyone in their right mind would buy them.

Now take those huge financial outlay as well as the poor league performance, it is no surprise that KK got the boot.

Now can you understand that?

Believe me, if Rodgers spent the same amount of money that KK did and we're performing like it is right now, he'll get the sack too.

Heck, I'll be the same as you guys. I'll be asking for his head.

Our Owners may not know much about the Game, but they are far from idiotic. They know they can't expect much from Rodgers considering they didn't give him a Ton of funds. Not to mention, the Last Transfer Day Disaster, leaving us with 1 Senior Striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

mav79 wrote: »

I know, it saddens me greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Other than Bellamy (who was on the decline anyway), none of the options you mentioned performed at anything above a mid table level.

Oh sorry, yeah our league campaign was over by Jan :rolleyes: So when does

It was over by ****ing October this year mate. But yea, we're "improving".

Last batch of games? We were muck from January onwards - half the season.

As opposed to from August onwards this season. Got ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

anybody still not want Walcott?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

murpho999 wrote: »

All i see is people who hold their opinions regardless of a win or a loss.

Brendan wants us to have consistency :pac:

I find it unbelievable that some people are not willing to give the man 2 transfer windows to sort out the many issues this squad of players have. There are major issues in this squad, issues that cannot be rectified in 1 or 2 transfer windows.

Did you think Hodgson should have been given more time?

When it's so obvious that the wrong decision was made, we should terminate immediately.

Get in a caretaker till the end of the season & get onto Benitez.

**** it's depressing that both Benitez & AVB were overlooked for this ****ing David Brent character in the summer :(

SlickRic wrote: »
    anybody still not want Walcott?

Rodgers? FSG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Walcott has pretty much sorted out his issues with Arsenal as far as I know. Was there really that much chance of him leaving I wonder?

Get a caretaker in? Mr Alan stop blowing smoke, or stop smoking whatever you're inhaling.

We've pretty much played everyone once in the league. Comparing season to date with the same time period last year in order to establish whether or not there has been an improvement is the only fair thing. Comparing to Kenny's last batch of games when our league campaign was over is idiotic.

Our collapse in league form started in January last season. Are you trying to say that from the 1st January our league campaign was over?

We won one league game in January, none in February, one in March, two in April, and one in May.

The only true way to see if there is an improvement is to see how the points stack up come the end of May 2013 and compare them to how they stacked up at the end of May 2012, but until then it is no more foolish to compare Kenny's last 19 games to Rodger's first 19 than it is to compare Kenny's first 19.

By comparing first 19 to first 19, you are comparing starts with the club. Fair enough imho.

By comparing last 19 to first 19 you are looking to see what has improved or disimproved in the short term. Again a fair enough thing to do imho.

Kenny was sacked, imho, because the team collapsed in the league under his leadership, and they collapsed badly from the turn of the year. We could argue the rights and wrongs of that all night (but that would be pointless as I am pretty sure that last May both of us were in accord on the idea of him getting a further 12 months). Surely the very least Rodgers should get is a full season to see if his end results improves upon where Kenny left off?

Win tomorrow (something I'm not confident of), then we are only 5 points from 5th. Definitely doable if we sign the right players in Jan.

We are pretty much on par with Kenny's last 6 months. It's not good enough, of course, but neither was it for Kenny.

• Advertisement

We are pretty much on par with Kenny's last 6 months. It's not good enough, of course, but neither was it for Kenny.

Let's not forget we did claim a trophy in that time, and narrowly missed out on another. Can't see us winning one this season, 'though I'd dearly love to be proved wrong.

That bit remains to be seen. So far there has only been a small improvement, in terms of points gained, on the form that finished the second half of last season.

The second half of this season would have to see a further improvement on the first half in order for this season to be any sort of improvement on last season.

At present we have the same potential cup wise as last season, in that we have the potential to reach two finals, but it is in the league where true proigress will be measured, and the end of May is the only time when we will get that true picture.

To be honest, sick talking about it. I'll come back in a few weeks when we're still ****ing ****e & Rodgers is huffing & puffing bull**** as usual and you'll be more in agreement then.

Ps. No one answered whether it not we can all agree that anything less than a win tomorrow is unacceptable....are we trying not commit to anything that won't allow pretend Rodgers is the messiah, regardless of tomorrows result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

It was absolutely disgusting looking at the players last season not give a flying fück and watch us lose games without them batting an eyelid after all Kenny had done for them during the season.

I said it at the time that some of them should hold their heads in shame.

That same attitude unfortunately is still there just below the surface by the looks of it, and it scares me to say that only a bottom four position might frighten it out of a couple of them, as losing seems all too comfortable for a few of them.

Face the facts lads...a loss tomorrow and it could really be squeaky bum time. Cause I really done see any steel in this manger or team.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

mike65 wrote: »
    Walcott has pretty much sorted out his issues with Arsenal as far as I know. Was there really that much chance of him leaving I wonder?

Get a caretaker in? Mr Alan stop blowing smoke, or stop smoking whatever you're inhaling.

Not saying he isn't staying because he seemed to be enjoying himself tonight, but he did a lap of the emirates after the game went to every corner of the stadium

If he is going why would he come to liverpool especially now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Last 19 games of the season 0.94 ppg. First 19 this year 1.32. A dramatic improvement I think you will agree. Sure Rodgers has only been poor for the frst batch of games this year. ;)

skydish79 wrote: »
    If he is going why would he come to liverpool especially now

No. Not unless he'd fall for Rodgers bull****.

Did you think Hodgson should have been given more time?

When it's so obvious that the wrong decision was made, we should terminate immediately.

Get in a caretaker till the end of the season & get onto Benitez.

**** it's depressing that both Benitez & AVB were overlooked for this ****ing David Brent character in the summer :(

Nope, couldn't believe they hired Hodgson. Although, lets not forget it was H&G, the same clowns who sacked Rafa.

I can't think of one good thing Hodgson did for the club, perhaps Meireles?

I think you are doing Rodgers a dis-service by comparing him to Hodgson tbh.

I can understand why they overlooked Benitez, they didn't want to put themselves into a position where they could have to sack 2 club legends in a row. Rightly or wrongly, I don't think Benitez was ever going to be approached (I would like to think he would be in the future if it is ever warranted). I'm a fan of AVB also.

Rodgers wasn't my first choice, I'm sure that is the same for every LFC fan, but the least we can do is give him 2 transfer windows to help turn things around. The squad simply isn't good enough.

Oscorp wrote: »
    Let's not forget we did claim a trophy in that time, and narrowly missed out on another. Can't see us winning one this season, 'though I'd dearly love to be proved wrong.

I'd be surprised if we won a cup this year, but I probably would have said the same thing last year too. Here's hoping! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rodgers? FSG?

hopefully they can pull off a miracle if Theo somehow leaves.

plenty in here scoffed at the thought of Theo joining though.

Nope, couldn't believe they hired Hodgson. Although, lets not forget it was H&G, the same clowns who sacked Rafa.

I can't think of one good thing Hodgson did for the club, perhaps Meireles?

I think you are doing Rodgers a dis-service by comparing him to Hodgson tbh.

I can understand why they overlooked Benitez, they didn't want to put themselves into a position where they could have to sack 2 club legends in a row. Rightly or wrongly, I don't think Benitez was ever going to be approached (I would like to think he would be in the future if it is ever warranted). I'm a fan of AVB also.

Rodgers wasn't my first choice, I'm sure that is the same for every LFC fan, but the least we can do is give him 2 transfer windows to help turn things around. The squad simply isn't good enough.

Hodgson is currently a better manager than Rodgers. Genuinely I don't think anyone can argue that. People defending Rodgers are doing so only based on what he might become. Incredible gamble.

SlickRic wrote: »

hopefully they can pull off a miracle if Theo somehow leaves.

plenty in here scoffed at the thought of Theo joining though.

Not surprising. Not foreign enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

When does The Rodgers Promissory note expire?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement