Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Why do you guys keep tip-toeing the issue here? Is it because he's a Legend? Kenny got the sacked not only because of bad league performance, it's also because he spent TON OF MONEY on top of that.

Players that are of the absolute **** that we will be taking huge losses just by selling them, that is if anyone in their right mind would buy them.

Now take those huge financial outlay as well as the poor league performance, it is no surprise that KK got the boot.

Now can you understand that?

Believe me, if Rodgers spent the same amount of money that KK did and we're performing like it is right now, he'll get the sack too.

Heck, I'll be the same as you guys. I'll be asking for his head.

Our Owners may not know much about the Game, but they are far from idiotic. They know they can't expect much from Rodgers considering they didn't give him a Ton of funds. Not to mention, the Last Transfer Day Disaster, leaving us with 1 Senior Striker.

There isnt any flirting around any issue. Have you anything negative to say about Rodgers yourself or are you just going to deflect?, why is a man with no previous for anything got such a hold on you?.

What i find strange is pro Rodgers posters talking about systems when the man himself in an interview said he had no particular system. Ye have listened to so much guff and wind from the club that ye seem to think there is some higher entity with a grand plan. The actual fact (as hard as it is to say, and it is) is that its the blind leading the blind.

You think its an easy position to hold these views?, would you rather i was a United fan trolling the thread with these views so i could be reported and fked out?.

If theres one thing ive learned in life, its that only true 'friends' tell you things you dont want to hear. If ye dont want to hear it, grand, just dont engage with it or put people on ignore. What definitely wont be happening is silencing of those views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Id have a lot more time for rodgers at the moment if he just stopped bull****ting every interview be it pre or post match. The harshest word hes used to date i can recall is dissapointed. Hes went on to say gerrard has been fanatastic lately a while ago before he started scoring again i could not believe it, me, you and the guy around the corner knew he was poor for ages but there he was praising him. His persistence with shelvey lately is equally bemusing.

We are unfortunately no better or worse then we were when kenny left us, only thing that has changed is the wage bill is reduced and we're a much younger team. As for the "emotional" cup runs, well we're through to the last 32 after ten games in the europa and we havent kicked a ball in the fa cup so in my eyes the cup runs can be as "emotional" this season as they were last.

Im more then happy to see him get 18 months atleast like kenny did, but at times im banging my head off the wall regarding the club.

Would take years off your life these days supporting liverpool :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

And why the eff would Rafa come in here?

He's living the dream. World Class Players and Unlimited Funds.

With the way our Fans has been moaning, if he couldn't turn it around, he'd get the boot in 6 mos? A Pat in the back for Old Time's Sake?

At least with Chelsea he can at least expect a very hefty payday.

No.

AVB? :D

Sorry, but no sane manager would want to touch Liverpool. There's too much baggage. Too much history. Too much Fan Expectations. And that's just for starters.

Then you look at the Players you'd be inheriting then look at the Funds that you'll be working with... You shake your head and then say, Nah.

Sorry, but the only Managers we can attract are up-and-comers like Rodgers, Martinez, etc.

And why the eff would Rafa come in here?

He's living the dream. World Class Players and Unlimited Funds.

With the way our Fans has been moaning, if he couldn't turn it around, he'd get the boot in 6 mos? A Pat in the back for Old Time's Sake?

At least with Chelsea he can at least expect a very hefty payday.

No.

AVB? :D

Sorry, but no sane manager would want to touch Liverpool. There's too much baggage. Too much history. Too much Fan Expectations. And that's just for starters.

Then you look at the Players you'd be inheriting then look at the Funds that you'll be working with... You shake your head and then say, Nah.

Sorry, but the only Managers we can attract are up-and-comers like Rodgers, Martinez, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Wrong!

We coulda/shoulda taken Rafa in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

mike65 wrote: »
    Walcott has pretty much sorted out his issues with Arsenal as far as I know.

Has he? The journos seem to think it's still very much up in the air.

Either way he won't be coming to Liverpool. He either resigns with Arsenal or he's off on a Bosman to Man U or Man City in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Rafa would come back. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Has he? The journos seem to think it's still very much up in the air.

Either way he won't be coming to Liverpool. He either resigns with Arsenal or he's off on a Bosman to Man U or Man City in the Summer.

He wants first team football as a striker, I doubt he goes to City or United if that's really what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Leiva wrote: »
    Wrong!

We coulda/shoulda taken Rafa in the summer.

I don't think it would have worked if he did come...FSG are really pulling the strings now and it is obvious that whoever is in charge will not get sufficient support or control. Just look at the Being Liverpool and Dempsey affair. FSG just want a yes man. Rafa would never be that kind of guy.

Chelsea threw money at him and he said yes, who wouldn't in all fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Rodgers took the job knowing the wage bill had to be cut and there would be very little funds for new players. Only Rafa knows if he would have taken the job under the same circumstances. I doubt their wages would be the same as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

How does anybody know rafa would have returned?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rafa would come back. Fact.

Not unless FSG copped the hell on. No way they would give him sufficient funds. I really would like to see him back if BR goes belly up (I am willing to give him the full season) but not sure how much control he would have over the team. FSG haven't covered themselves in glory yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

What was Rodgers net spend in the summer?

And what did we get with that?

Kess73 wrote: »
    Our collapse in league form started in January last season. Are you trying to say that from the 1st January our league campaign was over?

We won one league game in January, none in February, one in March, two in April, and one in May.

The only true way to see if there is an improvement is to see how the points stack up come the end of May 2013 and compare them to how they stacked up at the end of May 2012, but until then it is no more foolish to compare Kenny's last 19 games to Rodger's first 19 than it is to compare Kenny's first 19.

By comparing first 19 to first 19, you are comparing starts with the club. Fair enough imho.

By comparing last 19 to first 19 you are looking to see what has improved or disimproved in the short term. Again a fair enough thing to do imho.

Kenny was sacked, imho, because the team collapsed in the league under his leadership, and they collapsed badly from the turn of the year. We could argue the rights and wrongs of that all night (but that would be pointless as I am pretty sure that last May both of us were in accord on the idea of him getting a further 12 months). Surely the very least Rodgers should get is a full season to see if his end results improves upon where Kenny left off?

I dont think anyone denies we had a bad second half of the season in the league. But people cant honestly be saying that the two cup runs had no effect on it either. Sure just look at the state of Newcastle this year, they had nothing but league football to play last year in the second half of the season. We had a double header with the Champions of England and put them out of the cup in January, we put United and Everton out of the FA cup etc.

Sure, we had unacceptable league results but there was a form of excuse in the fact that we had a team full of players who never won anything, wanted a medal and took their eye off the ball. It remains the case that we still had realistic challenge for 4th up until the middle of April, after the Arsenal game it was all about keeping fit for the cup semi final etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Walcott did well for Arsenal today. Wonder he doesnt start more games for them, Be interesting to see if he gets a new contract there

Walcott did well for Arsenal today. Wonder he doesnt start more games for them, Be interesting to see if he gets a new contract there

Walcott is playing for a new contract there, its amazing how many players are possessed when the $ is on the line, once they sign the majority revert to type. Seen it happen so many times. Clearly, he would be welcomed at LFC right now regardless, doubt it was ever on the cards to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Forget about Walcott. Lets be honest- why on earth would he come to us at this stage. Supporting Liverpool as a kid will not be a major factor, if any. I know he wants to pay up top all the time but i'd be amazed if he took the step down (lets face it- its a step down) even if we pay him a few grand more a week. I reckon Arsenal will offer him close to 100k a week and he'll end up taking that or going to United/City/whoever if they offer him crazy money (regardless of what position he plays in there). Besides, how much more than Arsenal would we pay him? 10k or 20k maybe. He's be mad to leave them for us, his stock has really climbed in the past few months, most of the time i see him he's very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Jayob10 wrote: »
    You seem to place a ridiculous amount of emphasis on bullsh*t media interviews after games. They are pure fluff.

Kenny not being critical? For all you know he could have been reading the riot act in the dressing room. Likewise Rodgers.

What we do know is that Rodgers is having to include players that he sees as having no future at the club (not only in the squad) in the first XI. Thats the reality.

And again theres this insistence that folk are showing blind faith in Rodgers, and hailing him as the messiah. Not one person is doing that. Results have been not good enough so far.

But some people have more sense to judge things over the course of a season or 2. Those expecting a run at the top 4 overnight are in dreamland.

People need to stop harping on about Rafa and Kenny and the like and deal with the here and now.

All you ever hear on this thread is b*tching about how we could have had Rafa/ Kenny got the shaft unfairly/ Rodgers is a spoofer etc. etc.

Theres no actual debate at all, no talk from the dissenters about how he is getting it wrong other than hearsay (being the next David Brent and the like). Its pure nonsense.

Granted there are a few sheep who will follow those with the more forceful opinions and have no mind of their own. There are those who think they can see the future and see no upturn with Rodgers at the helm, and then there are a few who simply do no know how it will pan out, but are sensible enough to give the man time rather than sack our 4th manager in as many years. You never know he may just surprise everyone.

Either way, change the f*cking record. Every post is sounding the same.

Perhaps we should start looking at some of these powder puff players (World class in the eyes of most of our fans) who have shafted the previous 3 managers also I might add, when the going got tough.

Theres a disbelief that the likes of Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard etc.... are not enough to see us right. Maybe this needs examining a bit more. Gerrard aside, the rest of them have won damn all despite being in the top wage bracket. And these are only the players we deem NOT to be the problem.

Throw in some of the shameful spending in the last 15-20 years (by a club which has not got deep pockets) and you will see its not an overnight fix.

Amen to the above. Articulating the problems far better than I can.

Alot of our players are vastly overrated, world class in the eyes of our own fans only.

All the talk of Agger being one of the best defenders in the world, the lad has barely strung 10 games together for us.

Lucas Leiva gets better and better the more games he misses. Good player, but needs to put 2 or 3 seasons of consistent form together until he can justify the hype given to him by Liverpool fans.

Martin Skrtel, had a terrific season last year. This year he is back to his usual error prone rash performances. A smart move would have been to cash in on him when his stock was at its highest, and half the fee would have bought someone with more potential.

Reina, apparently still a world class keeper despite costing us countless goals in the last 2 years. Only at Liverpool would this carry on continue to attract hero status, and the player remain untouchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Amen to the above. Articulating the problems far better than I can.

Alot of our players are vastly overrated, world class in the eyes of our own fans only.

All the talk of Agger being one of the best defenders in the world, the lad has barely strung 10 games together for us.

Lucas Leiva gets better and better the more games he misses. Good player, but needs to put 2 or 3 seasons of consistent form together until he can justify the hype given to him by Liverpool fans.

Martin Skrtel, had a terrific season last year. This year he is back to his usual error prone rash performances. A smart move would have been to cash in on him when his stock was at its highest, and half the fee would have bought someone with more potential.

Reina, apparently still a world class keeper despite costing us countless goals in the last 2 years. Only at Liverpool would this carry on continue to attract hero status, and the player remain untouchable.

I agree Agger, Skrtel and Reina have all been poor this season, but i wouldn't criticise Lucas at all, he's only getting back after a LONG time out. His class will tell.

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »
    There isnt any flirting around any issue. Have you anything negative to say about Rodgers yourself or are you just going to deflect?, why is a man with no previous for anything got such a hold on you?.

What i find strange is pro Rodgers posters talking about systems when the man himself in an interview said he had no particular system. Ye have listened to so much guff and wind from the club that ye seem to think there is some higher entity with a grand plan. The actual fact (as hard as it is to say, and it is) is that its the blind leading the blind.

You think its an easy position to hold these views?, would you rather i was a United fan trolling the thread with these views so i could be reported and fked out?.

If theres one thing ive learned in life, its that only true 'friends' tell you things you dont want to hear. If ye dont want to hear it, grand, just dont engage with it or put people on ignore. What definitely wont be happening is silencing of those views.

I have said Negative Things about Rodgers, if you don't believe me then go look at my posts.

No mate, you misunderstand me. I'm not Pro-Rodgers, I'm Pro-Liverpool.

Coming this season, I knew it is not going to be easy, we are going to have a new Manager and he is bringing a new System. A very Difficult System. A System that even Barca with it's Financial Might, took YEARS to perfect.

And then I look at our Team and the Players we have. This is a Team that Finished 7th, 6th and 8th, for the last 3 years. Not to mention, on a back of a Very Disastrous League Campaign.

I reasoned, that the only way for our team's Fortune to change drastically, is for us to have a HUGE TRANSFER FUNDS. Bringing World Class Players than can play Rodger's System. We didn't get that.

So my expectations are low. I was prepared to write off the year because of that. I know that we'll be in for a Roller-Coaster Ride. There are going to be lots of Highs and Lows, as our Team struggles for Identity and Consistency.

Since Rodgers hasn't been given a huge amount of money by our Owners, then as a LFC Supporter, all I can do is give him time and hope for the best. As long as he's the Liverpool Manager, I would continue to support him. I did the same for Rafa, Hodgson, and Kenny.

Maybe you and others have higher expectations than me. Maybe you jus don't like Rodgers, because you feel, he usurped Kenny's position. Fair enough.

Am I happy with our Results? No. But unlike you and the others, I don't Moan and Whine just for the sake of it.

I'm Logical and Rational. I understand why things are happening right now. I more or less predicted it at the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Walcott is playing for a new contract there, its amazing how many players are possessed when the $ is on the line, once they sign the majority revert to type.

Amazing how often this happens. Especially in US sports. A player will have a career year when playing for a big contract but once he gets the big contract his performance levels nearly always dip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

I agree Agger, Skrtel and Reina have all been poor this season, but i wouldn't criticise Lucas at all, he's only getting back after a LONG time out. His class will tell.

Reina as been very poor all season and most of last to be honest.

Agger & Skrtel I believe don't have protection in this system their LB & RB are are wingers so when they are beaten Agger or Skrtel are pulled out of position. They also has less cover in front of them as there is no muscle in midfield.

So yes they are having a poor season but I think part of that is down to the formation the manager wants to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

SKY Italy say we contacted Lazio about Diakite.

:eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Liverpool contacted Lazio for defender Diakitè according to Sky Italy. Wouldn't be a bad signing to be fair. I do remember reading that he fell out with Lazio's coach Petkovic this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Leiva wrote: »
    SKY Italy say we contacted Lazio about Diakite.

:eek:

Didn't they also run the Gaston Ramirez story for weeks?

I dont think anyone denies we had a bad second half of the season in the league. But people cant honestly be saying that the two cup runs had no effect on it either. Sure just look at the state of Newcastle this year, they had nothing but league football to play last year in the second half of the season. We had a double header with the Champions of England and put them out of the cup in January, we put United and Everton out of the FA cup etc.

Sure, we had unacceptable league results but there was a form of excuse in the fact that we had a team full of players who never won anything, wanted a medal and took their eye off the ball. It remains the case that we still had realistic challenge for 4th up until the middle of April, after the Arsenal game it was all about keeping fit for the cup semi final etc.

You seem to be forgetting, we're also doing UEFA Cup this year, on top of the others.

A Competition, none of you wants to punt, considering how much thinner this Squad is compared to Kenny.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You seem to be forgetting, we're also doing UEFA Cup this year, on top of the others.

A Competition, none of you wants to punt, considering how much thinner this Squad is compared to Kenny.

Next game on that is 20th Feb or so. I'd imagine by that stage none but the most optimistic would say by then we might et top 4, so why would we want to punt it when it might be our only chance of a trophy at that point? If by some mad set of results we were in contention for 4th there is an argument for playing reserves and getting knocked out on purpose, but otherwise it will be a disgrace.

5starpool wrote: »
    Next game on that is 20th Feb or so. I'd imagine by that stage none but the most optimistic would say by then we might et top 4, so why would we want to punt it when it might be our only chance of a trophy at that point? If by some mad set of results we were in contention for 4th there is an argument for playing reserves and getting knocked out on purpose, but otherwise it will be a disgrace.

He has to win as many matches as possible to keep his job. It makes far more sense for him to punt the EL even in the attempt to finish 7th instead of 10th or 9th.

Oscorp wrote: »
    Didn't they also run the Gaston Ramirez story for weeks?

A lot of the media did to be fair.

• Advertisement

People were making excuses for Kenny's Last Half, saying our Cup Runs affected our League Performance.

So what about now? Rodgers doesn't merit the excuse?

At least Kenny had a bigger Squad.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Liverpool contacted Lazio for defender Diakitè according to Sky Italy. Wouldn't be a bad signing to be fair. I do remember reading that he fell out with Lazio's coach Petkovic this season.

According to Wiki he is in talks with Lazio about renewing his contract for another four years. Time is right to talk to him.

He has to win as many matches as possible to keep his job. It makes far more sense for him to punt the EL even in the attempt to finish 7th instead of 10th or 9th.

9th and the EL > 6th and no cup run. It's not even close imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Yeah, but Sky Italia 'broke' the Ramirez story and the rags quickly appropriated it if I recall correctly.

Tony Barrett has retweeted it so maybe he's heard something too, he's generally not one to retweet every rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,461 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If the Kop calls for Rodgers head then he's gone,
    Regardless of owners putting him in place,
    No Liverpool manager has survived when crowd calls for his head
    Not for long anyway
    But I can't see that happening this season,
    Not a chance, We are far no open ,home and away,Would like to see a more defensive passing side, that an open passing side,

We seem in a rush to score, Full backs bomb forward home and away,
    Keep shape, Keep it 0-0, You go 1 nil down,Now open up more
    NOT AT 0-0 ! FFS Its like we are chasing the game right from the off, Like we are 1 nil down in a cup final, Its crazy,
    WE NEVER FEEL OUR WAY INTO A GAME!

9th and the EL > 6th and no cup run. It's not even close imo.

You make it sound like all he has to do is play our full team to win the EL. It makes a lot more sense for him to punt the EL and pick up a few more wins in the league. It's is number 1 priority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Walcott is playing for a new contract there, its amazing how many players are possessed when the $ is on the line, once they sign the majority revert to type. Seen it happen so many times. Clearly, he would be welcomed at LFC right now regardless, doubt it was ever on the cards to be honest.

Thats terrible to see alright. That professional players could make a greater effort than they do, but save it for new contract times. I would imagine clubs would be wise to that but its hard to say

Apparently Wilfred Bony was on trial at Liverpool a few years ago according to the lads on ESPN atm o_0

Walcott was very good last season. Just didn't as many chances up front due to RVP. It has very little to do with his contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Oscorp wrote: »
    Yeah, but Sky Italia 'broke' the Ramirez story and the rags quickly appropriated it if I recall correctly.

Tony Barrett has retweeted it so maybe he's heard something too, he's generally not one to retweet every rumour.

The more I see from tony Barrett these days the less and less my respect for him gets. He was once good but is now blowing his reputation in my opinion. He also seems to be following his bosses lead by engaging with tweeps and having an air of self righteousness about him.

You make it sound like all he has to do is play our full team to win the EL. It makes a lot more sense for him to punt the EL and pick up a few more wins in the league. It's is number 1 priority.

OK, I'll put it a different way. I'd rather we try to win the FA Cup and EL and finish 9th than make no effort at them and finish 6-9 points higher in 6th where we were not in contention for 4th at any point.

I would not be confident of those 6-9 points extra anyhow if we didn't try to compete in the cups. It's nothing that can be proven either way anyhow except anecdotal evidence pointing to previous events while probably ignoring other previous events that don't suit the argument. It is not something that can be quantified in any real way. Trophies > than non trophies in general (for the purposes of this argument I'll say a CL position is a trophy ranked above the FA Cup), but we are not in contention for that.

OK, I'll put it a different way. I'd rather we try to win the FA Cup and EL and finish 9th than make no effort at them and finish 6-9 points higher in 6th where we were not in contention for 4th at any point.

I would not be confident of those 6-9 points extra anyhow if we didn't try to compete in the cups. It's nothing that can be proven either way anyhow except anecdotal evidence pointing to previous events while probably ignoring other previous events that don't suit the argument. It is not something that can be quantified in any real way. Trophies > than non trophies in general (for the purposes of this argument I'll say a CL position is a trophy ranked above the FA Cup), but we are not in contention for that.

I'd agree but for the vast majority a semi-final defeat and a 10th place league finish wont cut it, a 7th place probably would. He has to put his eggs all into that 7th place basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Reina as been very poor all season and most of last to be honest.

Agger & Skrtel I believe don't have protection in this system their LB & RB are are wingers so when they are beaten Agger or Skrtel are pulled out of position. They also has less cover in front of them as there is no muscle in midfield.

So yes they are having a poor season but I think part of that is down to the formation the manager wants to play.

Re Agger & Skrtl, They're probably in the top 20 CBs in the league but no more than that. They look good in Europe most of the time and also against most epl footballing sides. But put em up against a top class striker, or even your run of the mill big burly mobile striker (jones, cole, Walters, Benteke, etc), and they just fall apart. It's nothing to do with lack of protection when you get bullied around by average payers. They're ok but we need more steel in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think this is being overstated. You don't get to this level and play in the games they have if you're going to crumble at the sight of a 'beast'. Taking Wigan just as an example, who have one of the leakiest defences in the league, kept the much lauded Benteke quiet today, and easily at that too.

Whatever the problems Agger and Skrtel have, it's deeper than not having the 'steel' to handle big awkward fcukers.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭tap28

This thread gets worse and worse. Rival fans must get a great laugh from all the **** typed on here.

IMOP this whole thing about Hodgson, Kenny, Rogers and what points each accumulated was not the sole reason each got fired or hired respectively.

Roy
    FSG felt they had to get rid of him, he was not there appointment and rightly or wrongly most new owners like to put their own stamp on the club and hire a new manager. Especially if things aren't going great results wise.

Kenny
    And so they appointed Kenny on a short term basis. I don't think he was ever the man they wanted long term, however Kenny did better than expected and is a club legend, so gave him longish contract. They thought with their man Comoli in situ, the buying and selling of players would work out.
    Under the Comoli/Kenny partnership , FSG got their fingers massively burnt in the transfer market.
    Then came the racism issue. Especially as Americans, would have been shock and dismayed with the handling it. This was the main reason why nearly everone involved they got the sack.

Rodgers
    They have appointed the kind of manager wanted without the structure they wanted (DoF etc) while cutting back on spending. From there own point of view, they have to back him or else loose any credibility they have in their own minds.

I don't know it Rodgers will be the new Shankly or not but he is playing kids more than wants and players he clearly doesn't rate as he has had only one transfer window and he was not even properly backed by the owners.

It's clear we as a club are in transition and at best transitional teams (in whatever sport) are inconsistent by nature. We can only hope it gets better sooner rather than later but that is no guarantee. (Look at England post their Rugby world cup win). But changing manager every year, with his new ideas and new players, is surely not the way to speed it up. Rodgers has to be given time to put his mark on the club. Lets hope it is a positive one!!!

tap

ps clearly Rafa was the most qualified for FSG to hire but after appointing another legend and Rafa's perceived troublesome streak, there was no way in hell they were going to take a chance on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Its actually cringey the lengths that people are going to in an effort to defend Rodgers.

Lads, nice fella and all as he is, he doesn't deserve it.

As equally cringeworthy as those who pretend they have been proven correct in their assertion that Rodgers was a bad appointment. We don't know that yet.

What's happening here is yourself and Lloyd are piping up shouting 'look at us, we were right, we were right'. But that's not the case, not yet.

Rodgers needs a couple of seasons to prove whether he's truly capable of bringing this club on anywhere.

As long as the likes of yourself come on after every defeat to smirk, those who are willing to give the manager the proper time to succeed or fail, will debate the point.

Hence leading to your remark above. Going round in circles!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Pulis at Liverpool. He's not good enough. Like Hodgson. But both are better than Rodgers currently. That's how ****ed up his appointment is proving to have been.

Seriously, that's fair enough but it's absolutely no good saying how **** an appointment Rodgers is when there isn't really anyone that we can realistically replace him with.

Even for myself, I'm not exactly a Rodgers fan, during the summer, my number 1 choice would have been Rafa, then AVB and to be honest it could have been a toss up between Rodgers, Lambert and Martinez. I can see the reasons for not wanting Rafa but not getting AVB was a disappointment (this isn't a view I hold just because Spurs are doing well currently, anyone is welcome to quote me from the summer)

But all that said Rodgers has got the job and I really do hope he gets the full season.

It's just too short sighted to say lets get rid of him when we don't know who to bring in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I see that Joe Cole is looking for £3.6 million pay-off to leave us.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/121228/exclusive-joe-cole-wants-%C2%A336m-pay-quit-liverpool-188155

So we either pay £7.2 million to keep him until Summer of 2014, or else we pay £3.6 million to send him packing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I see that Joe Cole is looking for £3.6 million pay-off to leave us.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/121228/exclusive-joe-cole-wants-%C2%A336m-pay-quit-liverpool-188155

So we either pay £7.2 million to keep him until Summer of 2014, or else we pay £3.6 million to send him packing now.

If true, that's a really easy choice for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

SlickRic wrote: »
    hopefully they can pull off a miracle if Theo somehow leaves.

plenty in here scoffed at the thought of Theo joining though.

Which was always a bit baffling as the guy has shown plenty of potential in his career as well as showing he can do plenty in the here and now as well.

Never got the arguement made by some that he was little more than a sprinter playing football.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement