Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Has anyone considered that while Benitez was a great manager, he hasn't been a stellar coach with Inter or Chelsea. As a matter of fact I'd nearly attribute Inter's massive decline due to his time at the helm.

LOL :D

Did he not sign zero players in his time at Inter?!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

So Swansea's promotion and subsequent impressive showing in their debut Premier League season has nothing to do with the man who managed the club to both achievements?

Staggeringly stupid claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He played a part. But a moderate one as evidenced by their continued success. Also his success there is nearly irrelevant as he's operating under a totally different structure now.

A structure was in place. Rodgers came in and elevated them several levels. He took a mid-table Championship side and got them promoted. He then made them a mid-table PL team.
    That's not insignificant.

I suppose Rafa hadn't that much to do with Valencia's success. I mean, he inherited a team that had reached two CL finals and had world class players. Once the structure is in place, I guess Rafa only had to turn up to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

LOL :D

Did he not sign zero players in his time at Inter?!

Yeah but he inherited treble winners from José Mourinho and was sacked come December with Inter something like 10 points or so off the speed in Serie A. Crashed out of everything save the Club world cup.

Also RE: Sneijder. €6m Euro Base salary before bonuses apparently and his contract runs till 2015. He has always been a player interested in finances as much as football so I doubt a massive wage cut to move to a mid table side would interest him. Spurs maybe more likely. PSG or someone willing to splash loads of cash on someone who hasn't played in weeks more likely again.

• Advertisement

Does it hold for every future manager of Liverpool football club to have just the ONE transfer window to transform a sorry bunch of spineless individuals to a determined and resolute collective before the 'fans' bay for yet more blood?

The only top class manager we could realistically employ has a job at Stamford Bridge. Meanwhile, the current manager has shown some promise at least, unlike Roy for example, yet there are already calls for him to be replaced with a caretaker?

Who would that be? Kenny again? Roy Evans? Pay sh!t loads to Van Gaal only to see him rewarded with the same rabid impatience from The Greatest Fans in the World if things don't instantly improve?

Oscorp wrote: »
    So Swansea's promotion and subsequent impressive showing in their debut Premier League season has nothing to do with the man who managed the club to both achievements?

Staggeringly stupid claim.

Didn't have "nothing" to do with him. He played a part, but not the main one. The overall set & philosophy of the club was more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

The transfer fee is attactive, but we'd never afford the wages he will demand.

Thats the main issue with Inter. The lad is on £10million plus a year.

ya was thinkin the same myself but if he wnts to play ball again who knows he might be willing to take a cut? very unlikely but stranger things have happened i guess. same guy mentioned Diakite aswell from Lazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Has anyone considered that while Benitez was a great manager, he hasn't been a stellar coach with Inter or Chelsea. As a matter of fact I'd nearly attribute Inter's massive decline due to his time at the helm.

Yup, nothing to do with Moratti/Jose/Inter only signing ages of 30+ players for a period leaving Rafa with players completely exhausted the season after their treble. Sure the only players added to the Inter squad were players recalled from loans.

All Rafa's fault of course, especially that ludicrous decision to move Eto'o to his preferred centre forward role. Can't believe he only scored 14 goals in that short amount of time. Such a waster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Twitter speak linking us with Wesley Sneijder.

The world is gone fully mad.

• Advertisement

Yeah but he inherited treble winners from José Mourinho and was sacked come December with Inter something like 10 points or so off the speed in Serie A. Crashed out of everything save the Club world cup.

10 points off with what, 3/4 games in hand due to the CWC?

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Yup, nothing to do with Moratti/Jose/Inter only signing ages of 30+ players for a period leaving Rafa with players completely exhausted the season after their treble. Sure the only players added to the Inter squad were players recalled from loans.

All Rafa's fault of course, especially that ludicrous decision to move Eto'o to his preferred centre forward role. Can't believe he only scored 14 goals in that short amount of time. Such a waster.

They were 13 points adrift when Benitez was fired. Of their regular starting 11 from that treble winning season 3/4 were 30+ . Plenty of teams in the past have managed to win doubles and trebles and not completely capitulate the following season. Suggesting the players fatigue was the reason is stupid.

10 points off with what, 3/4 games in hand due to the CWC?

13 with 1 game in hand = 10 points if they won it.

My own personal opinion is that the atmosphere amongst the Inter squad was one of complacency and stagnation after Moratti essentially ruled out any new signings. I think the weariness of Anfield politics had taken it's toll on Rafa too, and one must not underestimate the effect the daunting task of replacing a cult of personality figure like Jose Mourinho would have on a manager.

Some might say that's making excuses, but I don't think Rafa's time at Inter represents a true measure of his abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

We're interested in Wesley Sneijder apparently! :D lol :D

Indeed, won't be long before someone posts here that we don't need midfielders.

13 with 1 game in hand = 10 points if they won it.

It was 2 in hand in fact, so we're both wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Or the list of injuries the team had and Eto being banned too

It was 2 in hand in fact, so we're both wrong.

Oh. Apologies MY
    V
    http://www.freemoustache.com/images/moustache1.gif

anyways the skleeps overwhelm me. Let me know if Sneijder agrees to go to Liverpool tomorrow.

They were 13 points adrift when Benitez was fired. Of their regular starting 11 from that treble winning season 3/4 were 30+ . Plenty of teams in the past have managed to win doubles and trebles and not completely capitulate the following season. Suggesting the players fatigue was the reason is stupid.

You may think its stupid, it is however, plausible.

I know for a fact that Bayern, after winning a treble in 2000/2001, failed to win the league the following season and finished an unexpected 3rd. You may of course point to your Utd's, Celtics and Barcelona's of the world but you also have to take into account the lack of competition in said leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I thought Neil from TAW made a good point after the stoke game in that an area in which I think it's fair enough to judge Rodgers is midfield. He has been able to bring in two players for that area in Allen/Sahin. He has good options now with Lucas, Allen, Sahin, Henderson, Gerrard, Suso and Shelvey. I mean compared to last season after Lucas got injured that is a wealth of talent on paper. He still though insists on using Gerrard as one of the midfield two. Something everyone moaned about relentlessly about under Kenny. Has Gerrard played up top near Suarez at all this season?

I know Lucas is still getting up to speed but the same problems remain of him being left alone in the centre with Gerrard roaming and not having the legs to get back in. Rodgers though can't stop singing his praises. Even when Allen was playing with Gerrard/Lucas he tended to play as the most attacking of the three. One of our best performances of the season was away at West Brom in the cup with a midfield of Sahin/Henderson/Pacheco and yet all of them since have been used very little and certainly no hint that they might get a go together.

I really like to see him try shake up things in the league. I mean that right through the team and not just in midfield. Give Coates a go instead of one of the back two. We need to do something to give the team a boot up the arse. Fresh faces and some energy could give the team a much needed injection.

Opr

• Advertisement

Or the list of injuries the team had and Eto being banned too

Heh, I remember reading through that injury list once. Some team you could field.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

And of course Inter's immediate return to success when he left..

Mourinho lives by a scorched earth policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique, Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Sterling, Downing, Suarez.

rumoured lineup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,461 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If Rodgers was still manager of Swansea this season
    He would be getting endless praise for being 9th in table
    But to be 9th with Liverpool gets no praise,Its gets stick
    SO what does that tell one,
    That he maybe is not big enough name to lead Liverpool, As he's approach is not a winning one, Its a midtable one full stop,
    We will never progress with his approach, It needs to change, Needs to be more of a killer instinct ,A winning mentality ,
    Not all this open football with full backs playing in opposing teams box
    Goal at start of any game should not to concede not to give away anything cheap, To be a team no one wishes to play
    Everyone loves coming to Anfield, Its embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Well look, when have Liverpool ever appointed a big name manager?? From Shankly onwards, it was always the next man in line. A bit like what Barcelona do nowadays.

I realise Rodgers isn't a big name. Maybe not even the right name. But he's got the job, let's see him prove himself!

Is that not a horrendous reflection on Sahin & Allen? Two players Rodgers brought in?

El Spearo wrote: »
    Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique, Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Sterling, Downing, Suarez.

rumoured lineup

Let me line that up for you

___________Reina______

_______Agger__Skrtel____

__________Lucas________

__________Allen__________

Johnson___Gerrard____Enrique_

___Downing______Sterling

__________Suarez__________

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sahin has been shocking by the way. What's the story there because he was class for Dortmund!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Sahin has been shocking by the way. What's the story there because he was class for Dortmund!!

3 goals 3 assists
    And rarely gets a game
    Where does it want to play?
    And who is being dropped?
    Where doe he fit in.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I wanted Sahin to be a linch pin in that team...and i think thats what would be needed for him to succeed....dissapointing so far tbh.

Case of Sahin or Gerrard
    Who wins there.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Rafa 2009-2010: 7th
    Hodgson/KD 2010-2011: 6th
    KD 2011-2012: 8th
    Rodgers 2012-2013: ?

4 Managers, 4 System, 4 Years.

I know it's hard to admit, but maybe our Players are just ain't good enough.

So instead of looking for a New Manager, maybe we should look for New Players, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Rafa 2009-2010: 7th
    Hodgson/KD 2010-2011: 6th
    KD 2011-2012: 8th
    Rodgers 2012-2013: ?

4 Managers, 4 System, 4 Years.

I know it's hard to admit, but maybe our Players are just ain't good enough.

So instead of looking for a New Manager, maybe we should look for New Players, eh?

Two weeks ago Rodgers thought this squad could get 2nd, was he right?. Maybe we should clear the decks altogether.

What isnt mentioned often enough is that this club made a profit on players from summer 08 through to summer 11. The state of the team relative to other clubs sometimes bypasses what one manager is capable of and the overall fruition of the clubs position is a result of several poor 'harvests' ie last 2-3 years with H&G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well look, when have Liverpool ever appointed a big name manager?? From Shankly onwards, it was always the next man in line. A bit like what Barcelona do nowadays.

I realise Rodgers isn't a big name. Maybe not even the right name. But he's got the job, let's see him prove himself!

Did you feel the same about Roy? Rodgers has practically gotten the same results as Roy and there is even an argument that Roy is a better manager that has proven himself more in the game.

Very strange how some Pool fans treat Rodgers in comparison to how they treated Roy given that there's not much difference between the two situations.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Did you feel the same about Roy? Rodgers has practically gotten the same results as Roy and there is even an argument that Roy is a better manager that has proven himself more in the game.

Very strange how some Pool fans treat Rodgers in comparison to how they treated Roy given that there's not much difference between the two situations.

You will never understand willy, and I can't be arsed to explain it to you if you can't possibly fathom it from that brain of yours by this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Rodgers has nicer hair, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

daithijjj wrote: »
    Two weeks ago Rodgers thought this squad could get 2nd, was he right?. Maybe we should clear the decks altogether.

He didn't actually say that.

"We lie four points off the top four," said Rodgers.
    "For me the ambition is to grow higher. We are 11 points off second and that can all turn around very quickly."

He added: "You need to get consistency - and that is what we have at the minute."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20735575

Like most of his interviews, it's been taken out of context. The Bolded Part, basically means, it could go either way. And when you read the last line, it actually makes sense. Unfortunately, Consistency is something we pretty much don't have.

You can say, that the only Consistent Thing we have is Blowing Hot and Cold.

And yeah, I'm with you in clearing out the deck. There's too many Players with Loser's Mentality, currently playing with us.

The only ones I would keep are Suarez, Glenjo, Enrique, Allen, Lucas, Borini, Assaidi and the Kids. The rest can go.

The problem with the Rest, is who is going to buy them? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

He didn't actually say that.

"We lie four points off the top four," said Rodgers.
    "For me the ambition is to grow higher. We are 11 points off second and that can all turn around very quickly."

He added: "You need to get consistency - and that is what we have at the minute."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20735575

Like most of his interviews, it's been taken out of context. The Bolded Part, basically means, it could go either way. And when you read the last line, it actually makes sense. Unfortunately, Consistency is something we pretty much don't have.

You can say, that the only Consistent Thing we have is Blowing Hot and Cold.

And yeah, I'm with you in clearing out the deck. There's too many Players with Loser's Mentality, currently playing with us.

The only ones I would keep are Suarez, Glenjo, Enrique, Allen, Lucas, Borini, Assaidi and the Kids. The rest can go.

The problem with the Rest, is who is going to buy them? :(

That's what good sales people do, the intimate as to infinite boundaries of the 'product'. Anyway, i thought this was a decent write up.

Football's great truth is that managers need time, although it's probably not true at all. Good managers need time; bad managers look as lost after two years as they were after two months. The reason this doesn't become clear is that, due to the extreme Darwinism of football, bad managers aren't usually in a job after two years.

Should owners also be given time? Two years ago FSG made the first big decision of their ownership of Liverpool when they dismissed Roy Hodgson. Nothing they have done since has worked out as well.

The appointment of Brendan Rodgers was trailed as the moment FSG started trusting their instincts. They had reluctantly appointed Kenny Dalglish and then they took the brave decision to dismiss him.

In the summer, they had promised a smarter way of doing things. Some of these ideas have been implemented, some haven't. Signs of superior intelligence have yet to be detected.

One of the ideas was that Liverpool would operate as a collective. Rodgers doesn't act alone in the transfer market. Some within the club were said to have questioned the wisdom of paying £15m for Joe Allen which looks like a very good question.

The idea of the collective will only go so far. If Rodgers fails, it should be said that FSG have failed as they have failed so often in key appointments. Whatever happens to Rodgers should now also happen to them. The idea that this would be a season of transition predates Rodgers. Liverpool were planning to cut the wage bill and introduce some young players no matter who took the job. This was a sensible approach and a compelling one when it comes to boosting the morale of whoever transfers the money into Joe Cole's account each month.

Transition works best, however, if there is some indication where you might be going. If the transition was the transition from big club to small club, then the transition can be said to be going entirely to plan.

John W Henry promised in September that Liverpool wouldn't be stung in the transfer market again. This week Liverpool will sign Daniel Sturridge for £12m. John W Henry hasn't been seen or heard from much since he made those promises. He had been the most articulate supporter of the new philosophy at Liverpool.

Henry and FSG bought into Rodgers' pitch last summer, even if right now it seems like merely a spiel rather than the initial declaration of an outstanding manager.

Perhaps the plan to make this a season of transition has made Rodgers sound as he does at Liverpool. The club needed a salesman and they got one. For whatever reason, Rodgers appears to have no noticeable competitive instinct. If he has, it has been very well disguised.

If he is to become a great coach, he may do so despite being one of the few who doesn't place not losing high on the list of priorities. Rodgers has always looked sanguine when reflecting on one of Liverpool's many, many defeats this season. Perhaps he is ferocious in the dressing room and simply protects his players in public.

Others might suggest that Rodgers is showing that most essential trait in a coach, the ability not to over-react to victory or defeat.

Yet when Liverpool beat Fulham a week after the capitulation to Aston Villa, Rodgers did not shrug or ask more from his team. In fact, he couldn't have been happier if he had done the post-match interviews in a funny hat while reading out bad jokes from Christmas crackers. Fulham had played as if they felt their civil liberties were being infringed simply by being asked to travel so far from home but Rodgers took the opportunity to hail his team.

"There were aspects of the game where I saw everything I want my team to be and that was the most encouraging aspect of what was an outstanding response to last week's defeat."

Liverpool's outstanding response to that victory was another defeat, this time to Stoke. Chad Harbach suggests in The Art of Fielding that coaching involves telling a player the story he wants to hear about himself, emphasising the struggle and the obstacles that were going to get in the way. "People loved to suffer, as long as the suffering made sense."

Rodgers tells a story of beautiful losers. He talks magnificently. His team will cause "death by football", he said, even though death in football is always caused by victory.

Liverpool have played some nice football this season but the philosophy which has gained most ground at Anfield is a philosophy of losing.

There are other styles of management. There are those who will point to Alex Ferguson as the role model. They will recall the Scottish Cup final in 1983 and the glorious scenes of celebration as Aberdeen beat Rangers. As his players cavorted behind him, Ferguson gave a post-match interview during which he described the Cup-winning performance as disgraceful.

He may have subsequently apologised for his comments but Ferguson was setting certain standards. By giving an interview on what for normal men would be a happy occasion and suggesting that these cup-winning players would be lucky to play for the club again, he was developing his own ideas of death by football. Or death by Alex Ferguson. Ferguson, of course, was given time at Manchester United, a fateful decision as it allowed all who came after him, most of them bad managers, to suggest that they needed time as well.

Rodgers has given few indications since he arrived at Liverpool that he will do much with time. Daniel Sturridge will sign for Liverpool this week. He has been described as an unimaginative signing which would be fine if he turns out to be good.

Liverpool have made a series of unimaginative signings in the last two years. In other words, they have signed a lot of British players. Few of them have been any good.

Rodgers sounds less and less convincing. He is the Aaron Sorkin of football, a man who promotes beautiful notions that have no connection to the real world with a relentless zeal. Usually by the 23rd episode of one of Sorkin's shows, some of us are feeling nauseous and repressing feelings of irrational hatred towards the impossibly virtuous characters.

Rodgers promotes a style of football that is over-burdened with virtue but lacks knowledge of how the world works. He gave his players Christmas Day off, a wonderful gesture, especially to the people of Stoke who Liverpool were playing the next day.

FSG will give him time because they have no option – they are giving themselves time too. Time might help Brendan Rodgers, but, it would help him most of all if he used it to become a different type of manager. Unless Rodgers changes, time won't change anything.

dfanning@independent.ie

- Dion Fanning

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/surplus-of-virtues-looks-fine-in-theory-but-not-in-practice-3338754.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Er, he's done pretty well so far at the Bridge by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

daithijjj wrote: »

Rodgers tells a story of beautiful losers. He talks magnificently. His team will cause "death by football", he said, even though death in football is always caused by victory.

Liverpool have played some nice football this season but the philosophy which has gained most ground at Anfield is a philosophy of losing.

This sums up were Im at with Rodgers reign at the moment ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

V important we get the 3today.If not i can see the kop getting right nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

3 goals 3 assists
    And rarely gets a game
    Where does it want to play?
    And who is being dropped?
    Where doe he fit in.......

Drop Shelvey and rotate the players around a little. Lucas is not back to his usual self yet and probably could do with a rest here and there. Gerrard can't really play two full games a week. We have a big enough midfield so it should be rotated a little.

Let me line that up for you

___________Reina______

_______Agger__Skrtel____

__________Lucas________

__________Allen__________

Johnson___Gerrard____Enrique_

___Downing______Sterling

__________Suarez__________

I really hope there is no Shelvey today! Lucas and Allen together in midfield is probably not a bad idea considering how we are leaking goals.

Badly need the three points today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Sorry, I don't know if the question has been asked?
    If we dump Rodgers and Rafa comes back in the summer, only to have a mediocre first half of the season and we are 9-11 at Christmas. Will the reaction but to dump Rafa ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If we dump Rodgers and Rafa comes back in the summer, only to have a mediocre first half of the season and we are 9-11 at Christmas. Will the reaction but to dump Rafa ?

I am not a Rafa fanboy like some on here but I would expect the answer to be no because he would not look like he is out of his depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

No.

We would have a manager of substance, credibility and track record.
    I would imagine that Rafa would try and continue and pick up where he left off.
    Fill the obvious gaps in the squad with some investment and solidify his already working structures at the academy, and beyond.

We would have a manager at the club that is the club!

If Rafa left any sort of a legacy that is plain then that is he a longterm thinker when you see the fruits of those labors that are only delivering now.

I would be comfortable with a couple of seasons of midtable finishing in the knowledge that the repair and replace and continuation of our best manger in recent decades is in motion. 'vs' the insufferable wafer thin philosophy of a singular man who has the club (and some fans) towing behind like the pied piper.

Rafa I think would give the youth a chance if he came back. That is something I do not fully understand with Rodgers. Persisting with the likes of Cole, Downing, and then Gerrard, Renia, Skrtel and Agger when at times they should have been dropped when he talks about the youth all the time does confuse me.

Having said that, Rodgers has until the end of the season for me. I will not be calling for his head (even for Kenny I never called for him to leave). He deserves until the end of the season at least.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement