Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sorry, I don't know if the question has been asked?
    If we dump Rodgers and Rafa comes back in the summer, only to have a mediocre first half of the season and we are 9-11 at Christmas. Will the reaction but to dump Rafa ?

No, Rafa should be given how ever long he wants no matter the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I am not a Rafa fanboy like some on here but I would expect the answer to be no because he would not look like he is out of his depth.

That's probably a situation Rafa would thrive in because only he would be given time to turn it around. Fans would be patient with him and suddenly see the big picture. I don't think BR knows what exactly the big picture is himself. He got in the door...now he has to prove his worth. The transfer window will be very telling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafa I think would give the youth a chance if he came back. That is something I do not fully understand with Rodgers. Persisting with the likes of Cole, Downing, and then Gerrard, Renia, Skrtel and Agger when at times they should have been dropped when he talks about the youth all the time does confuse me.

Having said that, Rodgers has until the end of the season for me. I will not be calling for his head (even for Kenny I never called for him to leave). He deserves until the end of the season at least.

What the **** are you on about? If Agger and Skrtel were dropped who would you pick? Coates and Sama? Wisdom? Reina has been dropped for Jones beyond Jones we have no one really.

Rodgers has given Sterling, Suso and Wisdom loads of games in the Prem, Robinson has been a EL regular and Adam Morgan has got games as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

That was a good piece by Dion Fanning.

Pretty much what has been said in here by the minority but in a more eloquent way and without the rant (my posts included;) )

3 points is an absolute must today or i would be really concerned looking at the next few games in Jan and Feb.

but with Reading winning yesterday then Arry and the boys will be thinking the same
    I am in no way hopeful and we could easily be muscled out of this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

Rafa I think would give the youth a chance if he came back. That is something I do not fully understand with Rodgers. Persisting with the likes of Cole, Downing, and then Gerrard, Renia, Skrtel and Agger when at times they should have been dropped when he talks about the youth all the time does confuse me.

Having said that, Rodgers has until the end of the season for me. I will not be calling for his head (even for Kenny I never called for him to leave). He deserves until the end of the season at least.

I cant imagine rafa would give any youth players any more chances then rodgers has so far. Sterling/suso/wisdom have featured alot and morgan/coady/sinclair have also gotten games. Sama has made the bench once or twice too.

Obviously rafa would eventually reap what he initially sowed at the club

mike65 wrote: »
    What the **** are you on about? If Agger and Skrtel were dropped who would you pick? Coates and Sama? Wisdom? Reina has been dropped for Jones beyond Jones we have no one really.

Rodgers has given Sterling, Suso and Wisdom loads of games in the Prem, Robinson has been a EL regular and Adam Morgan has got games as well.

Come on Mike, you know they haven't been performing so well, even recently we have started to leak goals. I am not saying we drop both center backs at the same time! Reina has been very poor too. You can't say he hasn't.

Robinson hasn't had many games at all...hardly a EL regular. How many games has he played? Wisdom has fared a little better but the fact remains that when BR has to drop some players he is slow to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Dion Fanning isn't someone who lays the boot into Liverpool lightly. While others in the media went on the witch hunt against Rafa he was always supportive even in that last season.

Opr

Dion Fanning is a Rafalite, that's his agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

even bigger than lfc's fall from the top four ,is the fall of the fans.

not just this thread, constant infighting,whining,failure to see the big picture, . blame this fella,that fella.

think moyes is a good manager?

remember where he came from to go to everton?

remember they very nearly got relegated, everton that is.

they gave him time,trusted him..he was a relative nobody before everton.

now everton are doing better than lfc, with a quarter of the budget...

get a grip of yerselves , our squad is not top four, if even top 6.

the manager is not a miracle worker yet ye expect him to be.

cop the fck on lads will ye, we used to be fair fans, now ye just sound like cry babies,instant success or nothing.

give the new man a chance ffs, not 6 months.

or ye will be having the same fights next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Not a hope of rafa been back. Not the slightest of hopes.

Can't understand why its constantly been talked about. He was available when rodgers was appointed. He wasn't pick then he won't be picked the next time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

According to sky rafa benitez is back in Liverpool today for the first time in 2 and a half years..:o

Dub13 wrote: »
    According to sky rafa benitez is back in Liverpool today for the first time in 2 and a half years..:o

That was fast...I was saying give BR more time! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭joe123

It's sad really. Even by reading posts in here it shows the mentality of a football fan.

So many in here thinking they know better than Rodgers despite only having a glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes.

I read a few posts from the likes of Alan comparing pulis and Rodgers and it really did make me laugh.

Hypocritical, blinkered and a stupid comparison are three words that sprung to mind.

Comparing a manager who has been years at a club, has been given time to bring in his own players and implement his own philosophy against man who has been in the job since summer.

A man who inherited the worst transfers in the clubs history. Impatient hypocritical bunch that can't accept that there's no over night fix.

The Rodgers out brigade seem to post with this air of arrogance and deride those of us who are willing to give Rodgers more time.

If Rodgers did succeed in this job I would love to know what you would say then. If he fails, this thread would be worse than it already is. Full of smug I told you so's.

The main point the likes of Alan, luckyloyd and co seem ignore is thatvwe are not ignoring the faults, we just realise time is important. We obviously have owners who are not willing to dig deep into their pockets, we have a manager who is not afraid to give youth a chance and certainly is an intelligent man but inexperienced.

People around here knew quick enough that Hodgson was out of his depth mainly from the horrible football we played. From watching Liverpool now, it seems clear that the style Rodgers wants us to play is a style that requires a better standard of player than the likes of downing, Cole and shelvey.

Thats the worrying part in my mind. We all would of preferred Rafa back in the summer but hes not and is looking like he could do somthibgvspecial with Chelsea.

Anyways here's hoping we beat qpr today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Didn't have "nothing" to do with him. He played a part, but not the main one. The overall set & philosophy of the club was more important.

So you would obviously agree that Pep Guardiola is a highly over rated manager and destined to fail at whatever club he reappears at right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

joe123 wrote: »
    It's sad really. Even by reading posts in here it shows the mentality of a football fan.

So many in here thinking they know better than Rodgers despite only having a glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes.

I read a few posts from the likes of Alan comparing pulis and Rodgers and it really did make me laugh.

Hypocritical, blinkered and a stupid comparison are three words that sprung to mind.

Comparing a manager who has been years at a club, has been given time to bring in his own players and implement his own philosophy against man who has been in the job since summer.

A man who inherited the worst transfers in the clubs history. Impatient hypocritical bunch that can't accept that there's no over night fix.

The Rodgers out brigade seem to post with this air of arrogance and deride those of us who are willing to give Rodgers more time.

If Rodgers did succeed in this job I would love to know what you would say then. If he fails, this thread would be worse than it already is. Full of smug I told you so's.

The main point the likes of Alan, luckyloyd and co seem ignore is thatvwe are not ignoring the faults, we just realise time is important. We obviously have owners who are not willing to dig deep into their pockets, we have a manager who is not afraid to give youth a chance and certainly is an intelligent man but inexperienced.

People around here knew quick enough that Hodgson was out of his depth mainly from the horrible football we played. From watching Liverpool now, it seems clear that the style Rodgers wants us to play is a style that requires a better standard of player than the likes of downing, Cole and shelvey.

Thats the worrying part in my mind. We all would of preferred Rafa back in the summer but hes not and is looking like he could do somthibgvspecial with Chelsea.

With the same squad (plus some of Rodgers own signings) we're worse off than last year under Kenny. Surely if Kenny wasn't good enough...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

With the same squad (plus some of Rodgers own signings) we're worse off than last year under Kenny. Surely if Kenny wasn't good enough...........
    Kenny had a season and a half, BR has had half a season, he is trying to implement a system which was part of parcel of our clubs ethos for many of our most successful years, the man needs time to bring in his own players and implement the system before he can be fairly judged, yes there are problems and mistakes will be made but if we go down the route of sacking every manager after a few months then we may aswell get used to being the new Aston Villa or Sunderland etc.

Rodgers has a bug and won't be at the QPR game. Same with Brad Jones and another backroom staff member.

Kenny had a season and a half, BR has had half a season, he is trying to implement a system which was part of parcel of our clubs ethos for many of our most successful years, the man needs time to bring in his own players and implement the system before he can be fairly judged, yes there are problems and mistakes will be made but if we go down the route of sacking every manager after a few months then we may aswell get used to being the new Aston Villa or Sunderland etc.

But you would expect to at least continue at the same (bad ) level as before, not fall further.

At a minimum surely Rodgers should be able to get the same level of performance from the same players (plus his own additions) , no?

If we're just giving lads a go then I could do with getting £50k a week or so for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Glen Driscoll, LFC's head of performance, is the other member who hasn't travelled. Pascoe and Marsh will take over team matters.

But you would expect to at least continue at the same (bad ) level as before, not fall further.

At a minimum surely Rodgers should be able to get the same level of performance from the same players (plus his own additions) , no?

Rodgers has increased our ppg over the calender year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

One would hope so over the course of the season, you have to remember that we are playing a brand of possesion football that these players havent done before, its obviously not going to work overnight but the man needs time and anyone calling for his head right now is just one of this new breed of no patience football fan.

Rodgers has a bug and won't be at the QPR game. Same with Brad Jones and another backroom staff member.

Rafa wouldn't have caught Norovirus

Rodgers has increased our ppg over the calender year.

I'd rather he increased the ppg average over the season. At the moment we're worse off that the same period last season. Calendar years are irrelevant when the season runs Aug-May. Having a great run in the 2nd half of 1 season and the 1st half of the next is pointless if your showing relegation form in the other 2 halves.

Talking about ppg averages over a calendar year is just stat massaging imo.

Step forward petey gulacsi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

monkey9 wrote: »
    Glen Driscoll, LFC's head of performance, is the other member who hasn't travelled. Pascoe and Marsh will take over team matters.

Not Joe Allen?

I'd rather he increased the ppg average over the season. At the moment we're worse off that the same period last season. Calendar years are irrelevant when the season runs Aug-May. Having a great run in the 2nd half of 1 season and the 1st half of the next is pointless if your showing relegation form in the other 2 halves.

There is 19 games to go in the league. Taking the course over the season Rodgers is not far behind Kenny's ppg either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Sorry, I don't know if the question has been asked?
    If we dump Rodgers and Rafa comes back in the summer, only to have a mediocre first half of the season and we are 9-11 at Christmas. Will the reaction but to dump Rafa ?

no because rafa has a track record and you know eventually he would get it right, this is a man who has won european trophies, league titles, this is why sacking kenny last summer after a few bad months in the league was downright insane...a man that won multiple league titles and signed up the likes of mcmahon, barnes, beardsley, houghton, aldridge, shearer, sutton, batty, flowers and gave starts to the likes of redknapp, mcmanaman ...you had jokers on here saying that it was right that liverpool should get rid of kenny for a manager with one season of top flight management who had proved nothing in terms of ability to sign players or an ability to manage at a higher level

go ahead and compare rodgers to moyes, if liverpool fans are happy to have 10 years where they come 4th once and reach a single fa cup final then fair enough

There is 19 games to go in the league. Taking the course over the season Rodgers is not far behind Kenny's ppg either.

Well he most likely wont have any pesky cup runs to worry about:) so a significant increase on the 2nd half ppg should be an absolute minimum requirement.

joe123 wrote: »

Do his transfers look like rectifying this problem though?...I like Borini, but Sahin he fought tooth and nail to get and he spends more time on the bench or at home, likewise Assiadi. Joe Allen is fluctuating between looking solid for 15 million and completely overpriced. Then there's Daniel f*cking Sturridge. He also inherited the only transfer that is worth a sh*t in the majority of our games.

The Rodgers is wonderful brigade seem to post with this air of arrogance and deride those of us who are convinced The Rodgers will always be out of his depth.

If he succeeds I will hold my hands up and admit I was wrong about him. When he fails I will accept it and hope we learn from the appointment and bring in someone who can improve things.
    we have a manager who is not afraid to give youth a chance and certainly is an intelligent man but inexperienced.

Thus far he has come across as little more than a bluffer, all of his own doing. He constantly sells himself as someone who has discovered the secret to football, and if you keep saying it people are going to want to see it, and if you don't have it then it wasn't very intelligent to tell them you have it.
    People around here knew quick enough that Hodgson was out of his depth mainly from the horrible football we played.

We haven't exactly played great football this season, bar maybe the first 45 minutes against United. We have yet to play a decent 90 mins.
    From watching Liverpool now, it seems clear that the style Rodgers wants us to play is a style that requires a better standard of player than the likes of downing, Cole and shelvey.

Surely he knew this at the time he took the job, and if he is as talented a manager as his supporters believe then he should be able to find some kind of middle ground between implementing a system which will produce results but will enable him to implement 'The Rodgers system' (tm) as he adds players of his choosing to the squad.

Here, here.

We've played a lot more games in midweek fixtures with a smaller squad then compared to this stage last year.

I think the cup runs excuse works just aswell for rodgers as kenny

• Advertisement

Well he most likely wont have any pesky cup runs to worry about:) so a significant increase on the 2nd half ppg should be an absolute minimum requirement.

Still in two cups as I type which is the same as Dalglish last season.

I'd love to know what kind of system would produce results with Downing and Cole?

System of a Downer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

John Aldridge ‏@Realaldo474
    Apparent team today I've been told Pep,Johnson,agga,skrtl,Enrique,Allen,gerrard,Henderson,downing,Suarez,sterling

Opr

opr wrote: »
    Apparent team today I've been told Pep,Johnson,agga,skrtl,Enrique,Allen,gerrard,Henderson,downing,Suarez,sterling

Opr

So Hendo in for Shelvey...please please please produce the goods Hendo today.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Opr

please god let gerrard be playing in front of the other two

Opr

Where's Shelvey :mad: :pac:

Hopefully Sterling left and Downing right, seems to work a bit better that way with Glen-jo bombing on.

Even if Shelvey's on the bench it's a f*cking travesty.:pac:

Maybe he's at home holding 'The Rodgers' hair back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ah, don't be too hard on Shelvey. Sometimes he's good. He's gone all Spearing lately, but I'm sure he'll be of use as a sub now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Is there a Rodgers Is Wonderful brigade?? Never heard of it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Forget Shelvey.

Where is Lucas? Does he have that virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Rodgers out brigade = arrogant
    Rodgers is great brigade = arrogant

Lfc supports = arrogant ??? ;)

Anyway joking aside. Obviously hope we win today. Be great if Hendo does well but as Ive said before, he may not with Stevie around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rodgers has done okay with Kenny's signings, Downing isn't any worse anyway, Henderson looks bothered and Enrique has improved from the end of last season.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Cheer up lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If Rodgers has a bug I'm surprised Joe Allen doesn't have it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Bullsh*t I'd say, why would 'The Rodgers' have had his phone number?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Bullsh*t I'd say, why would 'The Rodgers' have had his phone number?:pac:

I dunno, Why is Mr Beans daughter so hot
    http://jaipals.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/ps3_gemma_atkinson_02.jpg
    Stranger things have happened, How could we afford his wages,After all that is reason he is in dispute with Inter,
    So makes no sense
    Wish it was true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I dunno, Why is Mr Beans daughter so hot
    http://jaipals.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/ps3_gemma_atkinson_02.jpg
    Stranger things have happened, How could we afford his wages,After all that is reason he is in dispute with Inter,
    So makes no sense
    Wish it was true

Well for a start she is not his daughter sorry to spoil your fantasy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2044378/Rowan-Atkinsons-stunning-daughter-Lily-steals-Johnny-English-Reborn-premiere.html

New thread please

mike65 wrote: »
    System of a Downer?

Chop stewy

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement