Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Melion wrote: »
    He hasnt done a single thing wrong in his appearances for us. Stop trying to find fault when there is none.

He's looked pretty good on the rare occasions we've seen him.

Bit strange we're not seeing more of him.

EDIT: Assaidi that is. Not Lloyd :D

Sorry Lloyd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Don't know who signed Assaidi. Do know that he hasn't amounted to a whole lot up until now.

Welcome back Lucky, missed you trolling all of us about the players ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Assaidi starts according to Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

djPSB wrote: »
    Assaidi starts according to Twitter.

Ha!

You're taking the **** right?

Ha!

You're taking the **** right?

No.

• Advertisement

Suso supposed to be starting in the centre.

Assaidi and Sterling on the wings.

Good balance to that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Don't know who signed Assaidi. Do know that he hasn't amounted to a whole lot up until now.

I bought a new laptop and it hasn't really impressed me yet. It's still in the box, all wrapped up, but... I have to say, I'm not blown away.

C'mon, Lloyd, even of that's a bit silly from ya.

No.

A bold political move from Rodgers if true.

In seriousness - I'd love to see that team, but with Sahin taking Suso's place and Suso coming on after 60 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

A bold political move from Rodgers if true.

Why is it a bold political move? I haven't been following the thread. I've read that some 'ITK' guys said that Assaidi wasn't a Rodgers signing but that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Melion wrote: »
    He hasnt done a single thing wrong in his appearances for us. Stop trying to find fault when there is none.
    He's looked pretty good on the rare occasions we've seen him.

Bit strange we're not seeing more of him.

EDIT: Assaidi that is. Not Lloyd :D

Sorry Lloyd.
    Vicxas wrote: »
    Welcome back Lucky, missed you trolling all of us about the players ;)
    Grayditch wrote: »
    I bought a new laptop and it hasn't really impressed me yet. It's still in the box, all wrapped up, but... I have to say, I'm not blown away.

C'mon, Lloyd, even of that's a bit silly from ya.

Being good enough to get on the pitch is an important constituent aspect of achieving something on the pitch...

• Advertisement

CL7 wrote: »
    Why is it a bold political move? I haven't been following the thread. I've read that some "ITK" guys said that Assaidi wasn't a Rodgers signing but that's it.

It was a joke - OPR was saying that he heard Rodgers didn't sign Assaidi and that he was playing politics over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Being good enough to get on the pitch is an important constituent aspect of achieving something on the pitch...

Pepe Reina's two European Championship medals, and World Cup beg to differ.;)

We on Setanta?

That's to suggest that managers always pick the players who deserve to be on the pitch most.

Assaidi's performances in Europe have deserved more chances in the league

We on Setanta?

Setanta 1 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We on Setanta?

Setants sports 1 we're on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Vital that we win today and start improving out home form. A nice comfortable win today please. Or else any kind of win! Saw on BBC we haven't beat Wigan in the last matches we played them. Tells a tale

Team that started last year v Wigan.

Reina, Flanagan, Skrtel, Carra, Enrique, Henderson, Spearing, Gerrard, Downing, Kuyt, Suarez.

I think it's fair to say Rodgers has improved the team.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Setanta 1 I think.
    Vicxas wrote: »
    Setants sports 1 we're on

Setanta finally taking the commercially sensible option these days I see and not giving us FTA Saturday afternoon games. :(

Feck it, I'll go and see The Master so.

Team that started last year v Wigan.

Reina, Flanagan, Skrtel, Carra, Enrique, Henderson, Spearing, Gerrard, Downing, Kuyt, Suarez.

I think it's fair to say Rodgers has improved the team.

We certainly have a much younger team and I think we have more quality. We have a strong base that, with a few additions, should have us in a good position going forward.

We will need to push up the table for that to mean anything.

But regardless of what happens this season I'm excited about how good Sterling/Suso/Allen/Wisdom etc can be next season and beyond.

• Advertisement

We have a nice run of games between now and Christmas too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think it something like, in our next 12 games we have ten very winnable ones. The two outside of that are Spurs and United as far as I can remember.

Hopefully this 2012 Anfield curse that's being hanging over Liverpool will **** off today and we can see a good performance actually accompanied with some goals and a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Were pretty much playing weekend, midweek, weekend and so on for the next few weeks. Squad will be really tested and stretched. Will be interesting to see what way he goes about it, theres a few midweek premiership games aswell sp hes gonna have to chip and change the squad there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Spearing, Adam, Downing, Dossena, Babel, Poulsen, Konchesky.

All good enough?

Reina, Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Allen, Gerrard, Suso, Assaidi, Suarez, Sterling

Thats the rumoured team doing the rounds on twitter, id be chuffed with that! Maybe a tad harsh on enrique seeing as he had his best game in a long while by his own standards last sunday but glen is playing great football on the left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Would like to see Sterling have a break from starting soon. Perhaps play this system but with Gerrard up higher in Sterling's place and Sahin next to Allen.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Good attacking team anyhow. On the Assiadi thing, he hasn't had a lot of chances to shine yet, but when he has there was really only the home EL game against Anzhi (was it?) where he looked good. He played the following week against Swansea in the LC and looked quite poor, so I'm not sure why he is getting such praise yet. He could turn out to be a decent player, although I'll personally be surprised if he nails down a starting berth regularly this season. I'm in favour of him having a chance though.

G.K. wrote: »
    Would like to see Sterling have a break from starting soon. Perhaps play this system but with Gerrard up higher in Sterling's place and Sahin next to Allen.

Yeah I think so as well. Didn't Roy play him for 78 mins against Sweden as well? The git.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Adebayor out of the liverpool game now anyway, good news I would think, dangerous player.

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭EEm

niallo27 wrote: »
    Adebayor out of the liverpool game now anyway, good news I would think, dangerous player.

Skrt would have him in his pocket.

niallo27 wrote: »

When he feels like it.

Would love to sign walcott!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

One Raheem Sterling's Facebook:

photo.php?fbid=543511615662979&set=a.217533634927447.66306.217280724952738&type=1&ref=nf

edit:

Reina
    Johnson----Skrtel
    Agger
    Enrique
    Allen
    Gerrard
    Sterling
    Suso
    Assaidi
    Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

photo.php?fbid=543511615662979&set=a.217533634927447.66306.217280724952738&type=1&ref=nf

Not his page

bf89b99d8565a3fe595d807282ebd913.png?1353159287

Said before that he doesn't have facebook in a tweet a while back afaik

• Advertisement

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Not his page

bf89b99d8565a3fe595d807282ebd913.png?1353159287

Said before that he doesn't have facebook in a tweet a while back afaik

Bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

edit:

Reina
    Johnson----Skrtel
    Agger
    Enrique
    Allen
    Gerrard
    Sterling
    Suso
    Assaidi
    Suarez

That's not a real page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

It's supposedly the same team as last night only Enrique had a late fitness test so Assaidi may come in for him.

Pepe

Wisdom----Agger----Skrtel----Johnson

Suso
    Allen
    Gerrard----Enrique/Assaidi

Suarez----Sterling

The 4-4-2 is apparently a tactical thing which is believed to work better against teams who play 3-4-3 so will be interesting to see if we line out in a 4-4-2. I would say if the guy on rawk is saying we're going to play 4-4-2 it's certainly something we have at least been looking at in training this week.

Good post.
    The problem with playing a 4-3-3 against a 3-4-3 is that while you overload the middle 3v2, you lose the wide mid areas as your FB's can't push up as they'll be tracked by the opposition wingers, and your own wingers can't drop back because they will be tracked by the opposition FB's. So in effect, it comes down to how your midfield 3 can adjust and move to cover the nearest three mids from the other team when the ball is in their area. Press and cover with the correct pace and angles and the 4th player in midfield becomes redundant. Fail to get this right and they will be overloading your back line multiple times, and it might come down to their strikers versus your goalkeeper on the day.

The best way to approach this is to go 4-4-2 and match them in midfield, but the problem with this is that it can often dampen your own attack. So BR has some interesting issues to consider before Saturday.

What we do know, though, is that Wigan, while ostensibly playing a 3-4-3, actually turn into a 3-4-1-2 team because Maloney has a habit of dropping into the midfield, playing almost as a true number 10. The only problem is that he is almost Robbie Keane-like in that he drops into the same areas all of the time, and it becomes predictable - Wigan are incredibly left-side dominant in their attacks, and in some games have moved the ball almost exclusively in this channel. What BR has to consider is if he should double up on our right side, and play an essentially defensive game on the right channel, and cycle the ball to Wigan's right side/our left on possession, and keep the ball away from their dominant side. This has the added effect of making play predictable for them (and to an extent, us) because when they win it on that side, we'll know they will try to move it over to the left side, and we can close off the passing lanes quite quickly.

In terms of their positional aggression, they have a tendency to sit a little deeper into their defensive third and keep the midfield 4 disciplined in their shape. Boyce tends to sit on the right hand side of the midfield block, while Beausejour pushes on, playing in the space that Maloney occupies as well. The two central mids, McCarthy and McArthur, play relatively conservatively, dictating the play from the middle. It would be important to keep these two under pressure for the whole game, and it will be interesting to see if BR goes for a 1-2 rather than a 2-1 in midfield, and who will occupy the two AM positions if he chooses that option. They would need to be positionally disciplined, and I'm not sure who we have that can play that way for the full 90 minutes? Gerrard might, but you worry about the impact of the friendly. Shelvey could, but he tends to rush around sometimes. Sahin, perhaps. Henderson definitely. Maybe he is pencilled in for a central midfield spot?

All in all, it will be a very intriguing game to watch, from a tactical standpoint and also because both teams will try to build possession. In the end, the game might come down to Luis and if he takes his chances, or the midfield three and how they work against the Wigan midfield shape.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Team above confirmed with Enrique. Assaidi doesn't even make the bench.

Liverpool FC ‏@LFC
    LFC team to face Wigan: Reina, Wisdom, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Allen, Gerrard, Enrique, Suso, Sterling, Suarez.

LFC subs: Jones, Sahin, Cole, Henderson, Coates, Carragher, Shelvey

Edit - ffs, Joe Cole???????????????

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

opr wrote: »

Liverpool FC ‏@LFC
    LFC team to face Wigan: Reina, Wisdom, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Allen, Gerrard, Enrique, Suso, Sterling, Suarez.

Opr
    no Downing on bench even with Assaidi injured
    looks like he will def be gone in January

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Assaidi and Downing don't even make the bench :confused:

opr wrote: »

Liverpool FC ‏@LFC

Opr

Not that I care too much, but what's the story with Downing?

Grrrr joe cole. Apparently assaidi was due to start but he has a slight injury, word also is its a 3-4-2-1. Pacheco,morgan,ngoo, me ffs anyone but cole on the bench, christ!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Cole must have pictures of Rodgers in bed with a sheep or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Daemonic

5starpool wrote: »
    Cole must have pictures of Rodgers in bed with a sheep or something.
    Even that wouldn't be as embarassing as Cole's most recent attempt at being a footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Havne't watched a whole lot of Liverpool this year but what is the deal with Sahin? Thought he'd be a nailed on starter but he seems to be benched a good bit. Fitness or just not playing well?

Havne't watched a whole lot of Liverpool this year but what is the deal with Sahin? Thought he'd be a nailed on starter but he seems to be benched a good bit. Fitness or just not playing well?

He has been relatively ineffective.

You should watch more matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Id like Walcott at Liverpool, knows where the goal is, hes a more polished Sterling at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Turtyturd wrote: »
    You should watch more matches.

No time tbh. Unless Liverpool are on Sky on a Sunday I don't go out of my way to watch their games. I catch highlights but that usually won't tell you the full story about a specific player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement