Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Doors Rattling

• 15-11-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi,

I got new doors in my house and they are rattling slightly. I am told that I can get adjustable door returns that will hold in the doors.

What make are these or do these exist?

The existing door returns are not adjustable to any great extent (Zoo Hardware)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Can you explain what you mean by rattling, is it when a gust of wind comes the door lock bangs of the receiver a bit? Many receivers have a little metal tab that you can adjust with a screw driver to stop any play in where the door stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

The door is not solid or firm when the doors is closed.

The receivers that I have do no have large tabs. Some of these tabs have already been bent.

Is there any particular brand that has larger tabs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Can you move the receivers in towards the door stop by say a few mm?

It should be very easy to take a few mm off the door post with a sharp standly knife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Can you move the receivers in towards the door stop by say a few mm?

It should be very easy to take a few mm off the door post with a sharp standly knife.

Push the door from the opposite side of the receiver and you see how much the receiver needs to be moved in.

I would bet the receivers are two far out and that is the cause of the rattling. I never adjust the tab and always adjust the receiver so it keeps the door tight to the frame or door stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭whizbang

just use some draught seal tape on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Gavin1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I got new doors in my house and they are rattling slightly. I am told that I can get adjustable door returns that will hold in the doors.

What make are these or do these exist?

The existing door returns are not adjustable to any great extent (Zoo Hardware)

Thanks in advance.

Did someone supply and fit these doors?? If so call them and have them come back and do it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Yes, these installed from new. I got rid of the guy installed them as he work was not great and I am now trying to sort out his work.

Advertisement