Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minding Friend's Cat- Won't Eat

• 15-11-2012 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Dear all,

Just on here asking a bit of advice. I'm minding a friend's cat for a couple of days. Since he got here, he's been quite anxious, hiding in lots of corners and avoiding us. (Normally he would be quite friendly towards us when we visit their house.) He's been out of sorts for a week-and-a-half because his buddy died.

We've been giving him his space, but he hasn't eaten since yesterday morning when they dropped him off. We've tried tempting him with his food and treats to no avail. Should we be getting worried or are we overreacting? He must be starving. :(

Any tips to lessen the poor thing's anxiety or to get him to eat would be very much appreciated, as we're both beginning to feel quite sorry for him now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Cats are very territorial so he is most likely feeling very anxious being in a new environment. Cats are best left in their own territory and have somebody come by to feed them. But, that's not of much help to you now. I would suggest giving him some space, leave his food and water nearby and hopefully he will come out and eat. But don't expect him to be his nor mal self in new surroundings. He is wondering why he is not at home and missing his owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Perfectly normal behaviour. Cats can go into an awful strop outside their familiar surroundings and will hide and sulk for as long as they can. He'll come around by day 3 or so i bet(hunger will get the better of him). Leave food out for him at night (when he feels more safe). I petsitted my friends cat awhile back for 3 weeks and he pretty much spent the entire time in a mood, but had great fun by himself when i went to bed. He ate, drank, slept on the couch, ran around the place,used the scratching post....but so much as look at him during the day i got the death stare :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

anniehoo wrote: »
    i got the death stare :D

I know all about the death stare! I've never met anyone, animal or human, that could be so stubborn. :)

We eventually got keys to their place and dropped him back home, two mins in teh door and he was eating. Called back the next day to feed and play, he was a different cat altogether, but I feel that it may be a long time before we are forgiven.

Mam and Dad were back home today and he was estatic to see them.

Cheers for the advice guys, much appreciated over a stressful weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

diddlybit wrote: »
    , two mins in teh door and he was eating. .
    Typical cat!!!They'd have your heart broke wouldnt they. You'd wonder why we even have them at all they can be so contrary and moody sometimes :D There's a great programme on Animal Planet at the moment called My Cat from Hell.Tt's brilliant as it really shows how to read the little signs they give off that a lot of people fail to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I love My Cat from Hell, Jackson Galaxy is, at first sight, the least likely cat behaviour therapist you could imagine. He has a book out now and he says that he learned most of what he knows about cats from a cat he rescued from a rescue he was working at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement