Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB 3.0 Gigabit LAN adapter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

This looks to be the same product you linked above only cheaper, your own is ex VAT and shipping too.

I don't see why it wouldn't be legit? There is some company info on wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

In terms of the difference in throughput between the 2, here's my understanding:
    USB 3.0 4.8 Gbit/sec
    USB 2.0 480 Mbit/sec
    Gigabit 1 Gbit/sec

Because USB 2 only reaches 480Mbit, gigabit ethernet can't be realised and the conversion is only capable of it's weakest link ie. 480Mbit/sec. With USB 3, the gigabit part is the weaker link, but gigabit can theoretically be realised. Am I right there?

In theory yes you are correct. I'm thinking there is quite a bit of overhead operating a device like this over USB though. USB (at least 2.0) is a polled bus which introduces a bit of a lag when it comes to real time device operation and data transfer.

The reviews here suggest that this device does not operate anywhere close to gigabit Ethernet speeds.

Redisle wrote: »
    The reviews here suggest that this device does not operate anywhere close to gigabit Ethernet speeds.

One of them is getting 110MB/sec, which is close enough to the theoretical max of 128MB/sec of gigabit, no? Or maybe my calculations are off

Yup 110MB/s is a pretty fantastic throughput. Perhaps the others just didn't setup the drivers correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Gigabit is faster than many hard drives. I'd say they're looking at file transfer speeds and they have a machine on one or other end of the link with a drive that can't keep up. iperf is not affected by drive read/write speeds and is a better way to measure.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iperf

startech one is down to £30 on amazon.co.uk. Free postage to UK with parcel motel

Advertisement