Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performance Practice Resources

Options
  • 15-11-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of good online resources about performance practice? JSTOR mostly gives me reviews of books, and Google Scholar gives me little previews of books without the bits I want to read.

Specifically, I'm looking for information on performance practice in Haydn piano sonatas. I'm learning the B minor and my teacher has asked me to do some research, but I'm drawing blanks on my usual routes.

I'm not interested in full-on historical performance, I just want to look into idiomatic ways of interpreting ornaments and such. Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

Ask Philip?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I used Performance Practices in Classic Piano Music by Rosenblum for early Beethoven - you might find it useful for Haydn too. You can see a preview of 21 pages of Google Books to see if it's worth the investment for you.

I'd highly recommend getting a biography of some description (whether online or in book format) to learn about his life and the circumstances in which he wrote many of his pieces. If you have a date for the sonata, see what was going on in his life at the time. It could provide an interesting insight or two for interpretation.

Lastly, a quick google throws up this bibliography at the bottom of an article on Haydn. Hope this helps:

Bailie, Eleanor The Pianist’s Repertoire. Haydn. A graded practical guide with a foreword by H.C. Robbins Landon (Novello, 1989).
    Brown, A. Peter Joseph Haydn’s Keyboard Music: Sources and Style (Indiana University Press, 1986).
    Harrison, Bernard Haydn’s Keyboard Music: Studies in Performance Practice (Oxford; Clarendon Press, 1997).
    Jones, David Wyn, ed. Oxford Composer Companions. Haydn (Oxford; University Press, 2002).
    Landon, H.C. Robbins Haydn: Chronicle and Works (5 vols.) (Indiana University Press, 1976-1980).
    McCabe, John Haydn’s Piano Sonatas (BBC Music Guides, Ariel Music, 1986).
    Romijn, Clemens Joseph Haydn. Leven en Werken, (Bluestone Publishers, 2002).
    Webster, James and Georg Feder The New Grove Haydn (Macmillan Publishers Limited, 2002).

Advertisement