Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this on my dog's skin?

• 15-11-2012 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Noticed this on my dog this evening. It's on the sort of thin bit of skin between her thigh and body. It feels a little bit raised. The edges are very pink and the inside is a bit paler. It feels a slightly hard/firm.

The dog is not annoyed by this at all. It's not sore or itchy or causing any discomfort. Is it a pimple? A rash? Is it something that maybe older dogs get? (my dog is eleven)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

First thought is a healed over tick bite. Dog ticks (ixodes ricinus) are often missed by owners as they're quite crafty at hiding until they're fully engorged with blood and fall off. The hole they leave behind can be quite substantial (up to 1cm) and have a inflammed immune reaction around it too.

Its too cold for ticks now, but this could've stemmed back from early sep when it was still very mild.Check her regularly for more areas like this and if concerned bring her to your vet as we cant do very much with just a photo ;)

As an afterthought seeing that the outer ring is a red concentric circle..potentially it could be the start of ringworm which is zoonotic disease (passable to humans).

Google image of what canine ringworm starts off looking like :

8EC625B93602454B9BEC209C5E38B63B.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

The ringworm pic looks very similar to what she has. She is a long haired breed and since she got shaved a couple of weeks ago, it would be nearly impossible to notice these things! I might take her to the vet tomorrow then

The ringworm pic looks very similar to what she has. She is a long haired breed and since she got shaved a couple of weeks ago, it would be nearly impossible to notice these things! I might take her to the vet tomorrow then
    There's no need to panic or anything.It's not life threatening and easily treatable but just a pain because it's a zoonoses. It's a fungal disease and could just be localised to one or 2 spots and will wear itself out after a few months. But, because it's transmissible to humans you're better off getting it checked out. You'll probably just get a cream containing miconazole or the likes if it is.

ALL a complete guess from your photo though ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

i am now quite frightened because i was touching the area for a considerable amount of time this evening trying to figure out what it was. I washed my hands but I don't know if thats enough to stop me from getting it.

Lucky for me my vets know me well and only charge me if i need medicines or any treatment. I still think i might take her tomorrow to confirm what it is.

• Advertisement

i am now quite frightened .
    Aaaand this is why we take internet advice with a pinch of salt. As i said "if" it is ringworm it's easily treatable,in both you and the dog, but it's literally IMPOSSIBLE to tell by a photo.

Only a qualified veterinarian can and should diagnose a condition like this for you.

If in doubt, CHECK IT OUT! ;) (and then come back and tell us what it was)

Advertisement