Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New A&E Unit for St. Lukes Hospital

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 smoking gun

Say what we want about auld Philo,but you have to tip your hat to him.

Looks after his own.

*waits for the militant Mexicans to add their usual "parish pump" blaa blaa(pardon the pun) stuff*

Who cares?

Kilkenny is the place to be.

Word.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Looks after his own.

*waits for the militant Mexicans to add their usual "parish pump" blaa blaa(pardon the pun) stuff*

Who cares?

Word.

Yea really not at the races without a cabinet minister. Went without one for long enough (and it showed).
    Must really gaul your man McGuinness...when he was in we were lucky to get (ahem) a mere parish pump. Talked lots of sh1te but didn't deliver a thing as he was (and still is) irrelevant in the corridors of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Makes sense as there's already a new ambulance base in Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its not been mentioned yet but it will be....parish pump politics.

It exist....there i said it!

But it also exists in every single other country in the world, you think a congressman gets voted for in the states and then does nothing that benefits his own area? Of course not!

Its not something specific to Ireland or Kilkenny, it happens in the UK, USA, France, etc etc. Bottom line is maybe just maybe if people in Waterford voted in a meaningful person instead of a independent who basically has no power they'd see it happen more then it has for them.

Just to be clear, I didn't vote for FG or Labour in the last election ;)

Now in saying all of the above, its also possible that parish pump politics had nothing to do with it....people can only speculate and claim it has.

The casualty unit at St. Lukes is a kip though and is badly needed. It serves a population of about 130k people and is totally inadequate for it's purpose. I don't think providing something that people need is really parish pump stuff.
    It's funny, the people whinging are usually the very ones that would want the very same for their own areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Now, if Phillo could finish the ring rd into a proper 'ring', this would link up St Lukes with the M9 , Kilcreen and Aut Even, instead of having to drive through town for medical access.

hi5 wrote: »
    Now, if Phillo could finish the ring rd into a proper 'ring', this would link up St Lukes with the M9 , Kilcreen and Aut Even, instead of having to drive through town for medical access.

Hopefully next on the list....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

mfitzy wrote: »
    Hopefully next on the list....
    Don't you know, ring road sections happen in 20 year spurts, I reckon we'll be waiting.

catbear wrote: »
    Don't you know, ring road sections happen in 20 year spurts, I reckon we'll be waiting.

We can survive with the M9 and ring road improvements but a bridge across to the Freshford road at the least would be a huge plus.
    There's plenty of other towns ahead of us needing more urgetn attention around the country. The council seem to be prioritising that god awful inner relief road rather than this sensible one.

Also the N76 Tennypark and N77 Ballynaslee realignments are crucial. John McGuinness spent his last term in govt re-announcing funding for those improvements. Shock horror, nothing much happened ;)

Looks after his own.

Who cares?

Word.

Nobody! If only there was money and jobs in being bitter, paranoid and constant victimhood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

If you think St. Lukes is safe by being tied in with St. Vincents, you are mistaken.

The South east hospitals are very efficient and under UHI will get massive increases in funding as they see more patients at a lower cost base.

The Dublin teaching hospitals are very overstaffed , so need the patients from the South East as a revenue source.

the cost per patient seen in St lukes is 110 euro, it is 280 in St vincents

http://audgen.gov.ie/documents/vfmreports/70_Emergency_Departments.pdf

Under UHI SVH are in serious trouble, thats why the government is keen that they go in with St Lukes

Chiparus wrote: »
    If you think St. Lukes is safe by being tied in with St. Vincents, you are mistaken.

The South east hospitals are very efficient and under UHI will get massive increases in funding as they see more patients at a lower cost base.

The Dublin teaching hospitals are very overstaffed , so need the patients from the South East as a revenue source.

the cost per patient seen in St lukes is 110 euro, it is 280 in St vincents

http://audgen.gov.ie/documents/vfmreports/70_Emergency_Departments.pdf

Under UHI SVH are in serious trouble, thats why the government is keen that they go in with St Lukes

Hi chiparius. Thanks for some facts for a change on this, there is another thread on this issue, very interesting in what you say there. Kinda of sick reading how we are all going to die in ambulances on the way to Dublin and other such emotive hysteria that switches me right off.
    Those patient costs are off the richter scale for Dublin, it's things like that that get my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Mods this thread should be merged with the south-east hospitals one.

Mods this thread should be merged with the south-east hospitals one.

Why?

Investment in St. Lukes A&E not the same thing as St. Lukes possibly leaving the south -east area group. They're just coincidently happening at the same time and are not related. Mods, no need to merge these threads in my opinion.

Hi chiparius. Thanks for some facts for a change on this, there is another thread on this issue, very interesting in what you say there. Kinda of sick reading how we are all going to die in ambulances on the way to Dublin and other such emotive hysteria that switches me right off.
    Those patient costs are off the richter scale for Dublin, it's things like that that get my attention.

So it's not just parish pump politics Gringos,:) it's medical politics too with the Dublin(& Cork) hospitals lobbying and dividing the SE for selfish reasons. Very good analysis chiparus, I agree with mfitz (!!), we need more light shone on the machinations of the various hospitals and what their real motives are.
    That includes the people calling the shots in St Lukes.

Why?

Investment in St. Lukes A&E not the same thing as St. Lukes possibly leaving the south -east area group. They're just coincidently happening at the same time and are not related. Mods, no need to merge these threads in my opinion.

Coincidental? Maybe.
    Unrelated? Of course they are related- the break up of the SE hospitals grouping looks like hanging on what St. Luke's does which is plan to leave due to perceived threat to A&E services. Am I missing something????
    It's all the one big all-encompassing debate Mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

The new A&E/MAU for St. Lukes have been in the planning stages for a few years now. The newly opened carpark out there is specifically there to make room room for parking spaces that will be lost when building begins.

The new A&E/MAU for St. Lukes have been in the planning stages for a few years now. The newly opened carpark out there is specifically there to make room room for parking spaces that will be lost when building begins.

No, did you not hear? It's all a HUGE BIG conspiracy against Waterford and WRH especially. Phil Hogan has an underground network of people that meet weekly to discuss how best to undermine Waterford city!!

All despite the fact that WRH has (rightly) undedrgo massive investment in a new A&E recently.

It's disgusting that people have the bare faced cheek to come on here and try question this investment and imply that it is somehow channeling funds from their areas.
    The actual truth as you so rightly point out is that is has been in planning for years, well before the recent WRH paranioa kicked off. I'll repeat it again, the current unit is totally inadequate and needs investment. It's an investment for Carlow Kilkenny and St. Lukes and even people from parts of Tipp, S KIldare, Laois ands West Wicklow use and are reffered to St. Lukes.

No, did you not hear? It's all a HUGE BIG conspiracy against Waterford and WRH especially. Phil Hogan has an underground network of people that meet weekly to discuss how best to undermine Waterford city!!

All despite the fact that WRH has (rightly) undedrgo massive investment in a new A&E recently.

It's disgusting that people have the bare faced cheek to come on here and try question this investment and imply that it is somehow channeling funds from their areas.
    The actual truth as you so rightly point out is that is has been in planning for years, well before the recent WRH paranioa kicked off. I'll repeat it again, the current unit is totally inadequate and needs investment. It's an investment for Carlow Kilkenny and St. Lukes and even people from parts of Tipp, S KIldare, Laois ands West Wicklow use and are reffered to St. Lukes.
    Mods, this definitely sounds like the same mularky as the other thread; merge them. Maybe you could ask Big Phil at the next meeting, he's good at merging things.:-)

Mods, this definitely sounds like the same mularky as the other thread; merge them. Maybe you could ask Big Phil at the next meeting, he's good at merging things.:-)

Well duh...you are the one that keeps trolling onto it love ;). We diodn't have to wait long for you to pop along.
    See post no 17. I don't see why mods should have to merge threads to suit your agenda.
    Why don't you ask him yourself, it really does not bother me that much?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is a separate topic in my view, seems silly to merge it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

i'm not merging

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

¡Oh, no, eso es ponerme de nuevo en mi caja! Me voy al sur a través del Río Grande (Suir).
    Adios amigos.;)

¡Oh, no, eso es ponerme de nuevo en mi caja! Me voy al sur a través del Río Grande (Suir).
    Adios amigos.;)

Adios....amigo would be stretching it though ;)

Adios amigos.;)

enjoy the swim
    :pac:

Sod-turning this morning at St. Lukes this morning I believe. Well done to all concerned.

Good to see a crane on the city skyline, working on the new hospital building, it's been a while.

See some guy is going on "hunger strike" as he was clamped out in St. Lukes, was parked somwhere he shouldn't have been. €100 release fee. Not sure if it was to do with all the disruption from the construction going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

There's an easy answer to that one: he should've gone to the carpark. They allow a set down time, but they are strict on it. I don't agree with clamping in the bigger picture, but the parking out there was a disgrace. Wheelchair places, doctors on call spaces, staff on call spaces, ambulance areas......etc etc.

I'm not sure quiet what he's hoping to achieve.

Advertisement