Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Van Basten v Taison

• 16-11-2012 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭

Last week a lad scored for Metalist and the goal was instantly compared to Marco Van Basten's from Euro '88.

In fact, Van Basten himself thinks Taison's was better.

Can you split them?

Which goal is better? 41 votes

Van Basten
    0%
    Taison
    73%
    DempseyKingp35applehunterfearcruachRikandPro. FQikBaxstoogedfx-Red CrowDancortvercettigrenache[Deleted User]born2bwildCol200sxWashington IrvingKnex*BOHtoxRay von 30 votes
    Why compare? Sit back and enjoy both ffs
    26%
    gustafoxtal191Xavi6Luckycharms_74PaddyCarPinturicchioBig Pussy BonpensieroMeglamoniaWinston PayneCiencianoConorCBS 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Taison
    Van Basten's was a more acute angle with a heavier ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Taison for me. Hit the ball harder (ok, lighter ball, but ball moved faster) and not only did it dip, it swerved in and he was further out.

Taison
    Cienciano wrote: »
    Taison for me. Hit the ball harder (ok, lighter ball, but ball moved faster) and not only did it dip, it swerved in and he was further out.

It's 2012, the balls swerve if you sneeze at them :pac:

Actually, just looking at it again and to cross to Taison is more favourable too. It's slower and hangs longer in the air compared to the rocket Van Basten had to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,078 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

2 flukes.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Taison

Van Basten was in line with the 6 yard line whereas Taison was further out so the angle was easier.
    Van Basten had a defender about a yard in front of him trying to block the shot, Taison's is more like four yards away.
    Van Basten had two more defenders on the six yard line at the near post cutting off the angle, Taison's one defender was two yards further out.
    Van Basten had to run away from the goal a bit with his chest pointing more towards the corner flag when he was lining up the shot, whereas Taison was facing the goal as he was lining up his.
    Van Basten was kicking a heavier ball.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »

Van Basten was in line with the 6 yard line whereas Taison was further out so the angle was easier.
    Van Basten had a defender about a yard in front of him trying to block the shot, Taison's is more like four yards away.
    Van Basten had two more defenders on the six yard line at the near post cutting off the angle, Taison's one defender was two yards further out.
    Van Basten had to run away from the goal a bit with his chest pointing more towards the corner flag when he was lining up the shot, whereas Taison was facing the goal as he was lining up his.
    Van Basten was kicking a heavier ball.

Think you're clutching at straws with them points!
    Van Basten was wearing orange which caused him glare and made it harder to see the ball.
    Ruud Guilit's dreads were waving around putting him off.
    It was 1988, Van Basten was still thinking about Wimbledon winning the FA cup, he couldn't full concentrate on the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,078 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Comparing goals on the internet is pointless. Its like arguing over music.

Its all subjective.

I think this goal is better, you think that one is better, and some other punter thinks the 2 aren't as good as some other goal.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Comparing goals on the internet is pointless. Its like arguing over music.

Its all subjective.

I think this goal is better, you think that one is better, and some other punter thinks the 2 aren't as good as some other goal.

Yeah, agree, but it's something to talk about.

Aenaes, take a look at that Van Basten goal again. "rocket" of a cross? :D

Taison
    Yeah, agree, but it's something to talk about.

Aenaes, take a look at that Van Basten goal again. "rocket" of a cross? :D

Yeah, sorry. It's a lot slower in the second video. It seemed a bit wild and to drop to Van Basten very fast near the end, perhaps because it goes out of view.

Taison
    Think you're clutching at straws with them points!
    Van Basten was wearing orange which caused him glare and made it harder to see the ball.
    Ruud Guilit's dreads were waving around putting him off.
    It was 1988, Van Basten was still thinking about Wimbledon winning the FA cup, he couldn't full concentrate on the game

All of the points I mentioned would have an effect on how difficult the two shots were. How on earth would they not have an effect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Taison
    The importance of a goal is a big factor in judging the best goals. Thats why goals like Ramires vs Barca last season are as special as any and thats why i think Van Bastens is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

tvercetti wrote: »
    The importance of a goal is a big factor in judging the best goals.

I don't think it's a big factor at all. At the moment the ball drops to your foot it doesn't matter whether you're in the World Cup Final or playing Sunday League. If you don't catch the ball right, have good technique, and use the right amount of power, the ball isn't going in.

Sure, it's nicer if it wins some major game but it's not *that* important when judging the actual quality of the finish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It doesn't matter what goal is "better". Van Basten's goal is a part of football lore at this stage, the Taison effort is never going to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Taison
    One is done in a Euro Final the other is not. Van Basten by a country mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lovely goal, but Van Basten for me too.

Dont get this it has be important game to be great goal opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Zlatan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Taison
    Van Basten.

He almost had to deal with it coming over his shoulder and moving away from goal. The ball landed right on Taisons foot as he was going towards the goal, lovely volley and a great goal but not better than Van Bastens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Someone listens to Footbal Weekly ;)

Pro. F wrote: »
    All of the points I mentioned would have an effect on how difficult the two shots were. How on earth would they not have an effect?
    Your point about the 2 defenders on the 6 yard line making van bastens goal better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Your point about the 2 defenders on the 6 yard line making van bastens goal better!

So you dismissed his whole post based on that even though the other points were valid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I thought the Inzaghi goal was gonna be some tap in from 3 yards :P Forgot about that goal.

Someone said the ball was blasted at Van Basted, same goal I'm looking at? The ball was in the air for ages! Taison's looks better, I don't know which is harder to execute, prob Van Bastens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Pfft, what about the Irish version?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Anyone think he was actually offside ? Looks pretty close to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Dante

May not be as tight an angle but I'd take this over them two any day.

fullstop wrote: »
    So you dismissed his whole post based on that even though the other points were valid?
    Yes, this is a serious debate on what goal was better, I must address his points. I hate rollyeyes, don't make me use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Van Basten would have had a head full of acid with it being the Second summer of Love

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

One the most overrated goals in history anyway. Up there with Di Canio's scissor kick volley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I don't think it's a big factor at all. At the moment the ball drops to your foot it doesn't matter whether you're in the World Cup Final or playing Sunday League. If you don't catch the ball right, have good technique, and use the right amount of power, the ball isn't going in.

Sure, it's nicer if it wins some major game but it's not *that* important when judging the actual quality of the finish.

I disagree.

In a tough games of serious importance (finals and so forth) I don't think you get as much opportunity for a start. The main point for me though is bottle, its takes an awful lot to try a shot like that in a big game whereas in a more (relatively) meaningless fixture you could take pot shots all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Totti is my favourite acute volley (his bad foot as well)

Taison

Those two defenders were blocking van Basten's view of the goal, so he had less of the goal to aim at than Taison had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

When the goal occurs and even who scored does add to how good its perceived IMO. There is loads of goals on youtube from like the swedish third division(for example) better than van bastens but obviously occurring in a major European final final adds to its prestige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Xavi6 wrote: »

Pressure impacts upon one's ability to execute on the pitch and put their technical ability to use.

Advertisement