Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to IEC 2013 announced

Options
  • 16-11-2012 4:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Saw on the Moving to Vancouver facebook page (there is also a Moving to Canada page, both are great resource for anyone with questions, they are extremely helpful) that changes to the 2013 IEC have been announced.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d
    "Starting 2013, two significant changes will be made to the International Experience Canada initiative for Irish citizens:

1. Irish citizens will be able to come to Canada under International Experience Canada for a period of up to 24 months, on a maximum of one occasion.

2. Irish citizens will no longer be required demonstrate habitual residency.

Previously, Irish citizens were permitted to participate twice, each time up to 12 months. Starting 2013, Irish citizens who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT ) for a period of up to 12 months will be eligible for another participation of up to 24 months. Those who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT) more than once (i.e., beyond 12 months) will not be eligible."

So people no longer have to be residents in Ireland 18 months out of the last 3 years to be eligible for a visa. I know a lot of people were disqualified for that last year.

And anyone who has participated in IEC ONCE before (including those currently on it) can apply for this and get a total of 3 years!
    Great news for me and my partner as we have just arrived on our first!

They will be publishing detailed requirements on their website in December so keep an eye out!

Here is hoping the wait for Visas will be a lot shorter/less confusing this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

I hope your right in thinking you can get 3 years,but the way i read it is say you are on your first year ,and with the new rules you can get an extra year,bringing it up to two years. also quote The Minister also announced changes to how the working holiday category is structured. Currently, Irish citizens can participate twice in the IEC for a maximum of 12 months each time. Beginning in 2013, Irish youth will be eligible to participate in the IEC only once but for a period of up to two years. The change will eliminate the need for people, who are already residing and working in Canada, to disrupt their employment and leave the country in order to apply again. link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-10-05.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 41 emec

Yeah, hopefully it means we can get three years. The way I am reading it, it says you can participate in the 2 year program once, and if you are/have already participated in the one year program you can still apply. Most people over here have interpreted it as the same.

Moving 2 Vancouver said the same on their facebook page, and they were talking to Cathy Murphy in the Irish Canadian Immigration Centre. According to them
    Great news from Cathy Murphy at the Irish Canadian Immigration Centre. Irish IEC participants who have had one previous participation under the requirements that have been in place until now (i.e. WP maximum duration of 12 months) can participate under the new requirements (one WP maximum duration of 24 months). Those with two previous participations are not eligible.

and
    If you are on year 1 of IEC, you can apply for a 2013 IEC and will receive a 2-year visa provided you meet the requirements

https://www.facebook.com/movingto.vancouver, I can't link to their exact post but it is on the page from the 23rd October when announcement was first made.

At the very least it will make it so much easier for people coming over without having to worry about applying the second year and sorting police certs and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Just found that page on FB, great way to get the info out.

ANy idea when the Visas will be announced? Not long I hope.

I have a LOI from the previous 2012 program that expires June 2013, I haven't entered Canada yet and so, have not received my Visa. Can I get a two year one now instead of one?

Beginning in 2013, Irish youth will be eligible to participate in the IEC only once but for a period of up to two years. re link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-10-05.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Sacramento wrote: »
    I have a LOI from the previous 2012 program that expires June 2013, I haven't entered Canada yet and so, have not received my Visa. Can I get a two year one now instead of one?

You can enter Canada using your current 12 month visa. Before it expires you can apply for a new 24 month visa. You'll get a total of 3 years instead of 2.

so for new people you get a 2 year visa?

Sacramento wrote: »

No, receiving the LOI counts as participating in the program even if you haven't/never activate it.

If it is your first visa, then you can activate it when you get to Canada and then apply for the 2013 visas when it opens in January. This will give you a total of 3 years.
    If the 2012 visa is your second visa then you can use it, but can't apply for the 2013. This will give you 2 years of visa.

I was at a newcomers networking event in Vancouver yesterday, organised by the Irish Women in BC group. It was very good and there was a lot of resume and visa information. They organise great events for anyone in the area, they have a few coming up in December (Feis, karaoke), not just for women or members.

Moving 2 Vancouver/Moving to Canada spoke about visa information - it had been checked with Irish Canadian Immigration Centre.
    They confirmed that anyone on first 1 year visa can apply in Jan for a 2 year visa, giving them 3 years. Anyone on their second cannot.

Application forms and details are expected on the website in early December and the visa application is expected to open at the beginning of Jan. They don't expect it to open any sooner.
    They were saying because of the change to the 18 month residency rule that they expect the visas to go quickly this year, so to apply as soon as it opens.

Anyone with questions should look at their website, or facebook page, they really are experts and know it all inside out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

So if you applying to the IEC this year and it is your first year, does it mean that you apply once and can stay for 24 months?

tatabubbly wrote: »
    So if you applying to the IEC this year and it is your first year, does it mean that you apply once and can stay for 24 months?

Yes, that's it! It saves the hassle of having to apply from over here next year, getting documents ready and paying a second time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

emec wrote: »
    So people no longer have to be residents in Ireland 18 months out of the last 3 years to be eligible for a visa. I know a lot of people were disqualified for that last year.

Have they totally removed any restrictions there?? Assuming the situation doesn't change again in future, if I spend the next 3 years in Oz and then move on to Canada would I still be eligible?? From what I'm reading they've actually listened and revamped the whole thing to suit people, which for a government agency to do is pretty amazing!!! Fair play to Gilmore if he's had any input here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ToCanada

Someone told me that they applied last year but that they didnt get one cause the quota was then full - they reckon they are automatically inputted to 2013 applications - does anyone know if this is true? If so then there will be very little left for us first time applicants.

ToCanada wrote: »
    Someone told me that they applied last year but that they didnt get one cause the quota was then full - they reckon they are automatically inputted to 2013 applications - does anyone know if this is true? If so then there will be very little left for us first time applicants.

I have never heard that before and I would say it is not true. Each year is treated like a new application. Applying to a previous years program, getting in or not, does not get any special treatment.
    The quota that is released is on a first come first served basis. No agencies can reserve visas and the only way of getting one is to apply before they run out.
    token101 wrote: »
    Have they totally removed any restrictions there?? Assuming the situation doesn't change again in future, if I spend the next 3 years in Oz and then move on to Canada would I still be eligible?? From what I'm reading they've actually listened and revamped the whole thing to suit people, which for a government agency to do is pretty amazing!!! Fair play to Gilmore if he's had any input here!!!

They have completely done away with the rule. I doubt they will change the restrictions again unless something major happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Are there no Garda certs required for this year?

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

zweton wrote: »
    Are there no Garda certs required for this year?

According to the website they still are?

They haven't announced the full requirements for 2013, that will be the start of December.

They didn't say anything about them when they announced the changes so I imagine it will be the same as last year, and you do need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

typically what doccummentation is needed for the application? i rang usit today and they were most unhelpful, a bimbo at one end of the phone when i asked about the 2013 programme she says, "oh that isnt open yet", i said im aware of that but any information would helpful, "i cant give you any information yet as it's not open"......christ all i wanted was some sort of idea as to what i may be asked to include with the application so i could have it prepared in advance. she was most unfriendly and unhelpful, she didnt even make any effort to try and help me in some way, it will certainly be the last time i'll ring USIT about anything.
    sorry for the rant but her attitude really annoyed me. how people like her have jobs in this day and age is beyond me!
    if anybody could give me any help i would be greatful?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm confused by this. This is my first year on the actual IEC visa but I was in Canada for a year last year on the Working Holiday program, does this rule me out?

typically what doccummentation is needed for the application? i rang usit today and they were most unhelpful, a bimbo at one end of the phone when i asked about the 2013 programme she says, "oh that isnt open yet", i said im aware of that but any information would helpful, "i cant give you any information yet as it's not open"......christ all i wanted was some sort of idea as to what i may be asked to include with the application so i could have it prepared in advance. she was most unfriendly and unhelpful, she didnt even make any effort to try and help me in some way, it will certainly be the last time i'll ring USIT about anything.
    sorry for the rant but her attitude really annoyed me. how people like her have jobs in this day and age is beyond me!
    if anybody could give me any help i would be greatful?

USIT are pretty useless. Much better doing it all yourself anyway!
    So here are the requirements for 2012 program.
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/application_guide-guide_demande.aspx?view=d

These are not definite for 2013 yet, they should be up at the start of December. But if I were you I would make sure you an in date passport (1 year + application time + 1 day) and a garda clearance form. You will also need a police cert from any country that you lived in for over 6 months and a a driving licence report from specific OZ states.

Think they are the most time consuming ones to get hold of, so might be good to get a head start on them even if you dont need them.
    I'm confused by this. This is my first year on the actual IEC visa but I was in Canada for a year last year on the Working Holiday program, does this rule me out?

I am not sure what you mean. If you were in last year on the Working holiday program, was that not through the IEC?
    If it was through USIT, then I think it still counts as your two Working Holiday Visas (1 USIT and 1 IEC) and you cannot apply to this program because it would give them 4 years in Canada.
    It was originally implied that USIT people would get 2 IEC's (1 USIT, 1 IEC, 1 IEC) as well but it changed.

I would contact Moving to Canada to check, I heard them mention that at a talk Saturday. They were saying to let people know because it has changed and people might get caught. Their website is http://www.moving2canada.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Awesome news! I assume the age restriction is 18-35 and applying from Oz is no issue? Better get the wheels in motion woohoo!

Any idea how long the application process takes then? Where is best for Civil Engineering work... East or West?

Thanks in advance! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 kallstrom86

Go 4 Less sent me an email saying 2013 was now open. I'm skeptical. i checked the IEC site and it doesn't say it's open yet. Neither does USIT. Yet Go 4 Less is looking for 75 euro to 'register'. Sounds like a cod.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

By their definition it's the same thing, looks like you have already participated twice sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

emec wrote: »
    USIT are pretty useless. Much better doing it all yourself anyway!
    So here are the requirements for 2012 program.
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/application_guide-guide_demande.aspx?view=d

These are not definite for 2013 yet, they should be up at the start of December. But if I were you I would make sure you an in date passport (1 year + application time + 1 day) and a garda clearance form. You will also need a police cert from any country that you lived in for over 6 months and a a driving licence report from specific OZ states.

Think they are the most time consuming ones to get hold of, so might be good to get a head start on them even if you dont need them.

I am not sure what you mean. If you were in last year on the Working holiday program, was that not through the IEC?
    If it was through USIT, then I think it still counts as your two Working Holiday Visas (1 USIT and 1 IEC) and you cannot apply to this program because it would give them 4 years in Canada.
    It was originally implied that USIT people would get 2 IEC's (1 USIT, 1 IEC, 1 IEC) as well but it changed.

I would contact Moving to Canada to check, I heard them mention that at a talk Saturday. They were saying to let people know because it has changed and people might get caught. Their website is http://www.moving2canada.com/

thanks for coming back to me i really appreciate it.
    How would i go about getting a clearance and driving clearance from oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

By their definition it's the same thing, looks like you have already participated twice sadly.

Boo-urns, looks like it's the Provincial Nominee program for me.

Undertow wrote: »
    Awesome news! I assume the age restriction is 18-35 and applying from Oz is no issue? Better get the wheels in motion woohoo!

Any idea how long the application process takes then? Where is best for Civil Engineering work... East or West?

Thanks in advance! :)

Applications open in Jan and is meant to take 8 weeks. Can take much longer and last year there was massive delays. Don't book any flights till you have your LOI. Age is 18-35 and should be no problem applying from oz because they changed the rules this year. You will have to send all your docs to London with the rest of the Irish applications.

Loads of work out here for civil engineers. Big projects in Vancouver and Toronto at the moment. The best money/best jobs are in the interior, places like Alberta and Saskatchwewan. But be warned, even with contacts it can take up to 8 weeks to start work here, it is a much slower process than anywhere else I have been. There are a few jobs on the moving to Canada website, have a look. Guys there know a lot about Engineering jobs and their contacts helped my OH get one in Vancouver!
    thanks for coming back to me i really appreciate it.
    How would i go about getting a clearance and driving clearance from oz?

No worries, it took us a long time to figure out all the stuff last year!
    Here is the link to the OZ police certs - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/australia.asp
    You can do it online (pay, print a form, sign it and email it back to them) and they are pretty quick. The driving clearance is at the bottom, only need them if you lived in Victoria or Queensland.

We had trouble getting the victoria one, because we needed one to state my OH never had a driving licence in OZ. But we got around it, emailed in a letter and got it eventually. Let me know if anyone wants the details and I will post them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Thats a great help, cheers! :)

A lot people seem to reckon the best jobs are inland alright. Love to give Toronto a go however as I've been living inland in Oz for too long! Love to give things a shot in a major city now, for the lifestyle more than anything else! It wouldn't really bother me about wages too much so long as I was able to live relatively comfortably. What is the average wage is for Civil Eng's with about 5 years experience in the city? I've heard competition for jobs is pretty hot in Vancouver/Toronto at the moment though.

Thanks again for the advice. I was fearing the worst that the visa's were for 18-30's!

Undertow wrote: »
    Thats a great help, cheers! :)

A lot people seem to reckon the best jobs are inland alright. Love to give Toronto a go however as I've been living inland in Oz for too long! Love to give things a shot in a major city now, for the lifestyle more than anything else! It wouldn't really bother me about wages too much so long as I was able to live relatively comfortably. What is the average wage is for Civil Eng's with about 5 years experience in the city? I've heard competition for jobs is pretty hot in Vancouver/Toronto at the moment though.

Thanks again for the advice. I was fearing the worst that the visa's were for 18-30's!

There seems to be decent work in Vancouver, could just be my OHs experience and area though. What area of civil are you?
    Have heard that there is better in Toronto, and that the cost of living is lower so money goes a bit further.
    Average wage seems to be about $50000 up depending on the area. It can get very high. Any recruiters we spoke to were very interested in getting OHs cv, usually a sign that there is demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 s14a johno

iam just back from oz, heading to canada next, so if i get a working hoilday visa, does that allow me work up to 2 years in canada?
    I got usit todo mine for oz, was thinking getting them again,

iam already trying to sort my red seal exam,

s14a johno wrote: »
    iam just back from oz, heading to canada next, so if i get a working hoilday visa, does that allow me work up to 2 years in canada?
    I got usit todo mine for oz, was thinking getting them again,

iam already trying to sort my red seal exam,

Yes two years working visa, if you are between 18-35. Apply in Jan and get your documents from Australia together ASAP.
    If you use USIT, you still have to fill out all the forms from the website and apply with everyone. They are charging you to check the documents before you send them off. I don't think they are worth the money, documents are not difficult to figure out and a friend can check them out. But some people prefer them for peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭minnow12

According to Cathy Murphy, to apply a second time, you need to get your Garda Clearance again - I'm in Canada at the minute - how do I do that? Don't I need to request it in person? Surely it would make more sense to apply for a Canadian clearance since thats where I've been since Feb?? Also, I'll need to provide proof of funds and health insurance again - but I have a full time job (and a part-time one) here in Edmonton, with full health coverage.. Mmmm.. Any ideas????

Advertisement