Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to IEC 2013 announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭minnow12

Also, anyone any idea how the tax back works? If I've worked full-time more than 6 months, can I claim all tax back in January? I'm still on a temporary visa (IEC) so surely for tax purposes I'm non-resident? Very confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

emec wrote: »
    There seems to be decent work in Vancouver, could just be my OHs experience and area though. What area of civil are you?
    Have heard that there is better in Toronto, and that the cost of living is lower so money goes a bit further.
    Average wage seems to be about $50000 up depending on the area. It can get very high. Any recruiters we spoke to were very interested in getting OHs cv, usually a sign that there is demand.

Im working in Project Management in Oz. Would prefer to go back to designing next though. Thats really good to hear that there seems to be demand for Engineers in Toronto! I've made up my mind that its where I want to go next. The wheels are already in motion! Police Check and Drivers Traffic History report requested. Do I need to request Garda Clearance from back home too, since I've only been in Oz a couple of years? Any other documentation required that I should know about, apart from the application obviously? And I take it that I then send those docs and application form together to London in January then. Sooooo excited... this news has really put the bounce back in my step again!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Undertow wrote: »
    Im working in Project Management in Oz. Would prefer to go back to designing next though. Thats really good to hear that there seems to be demand for Engineers in Toronto! I've made up my mind that its where I want to go next. The wheels are already in motion! Police Check and Drivers Traffic History report requested. Do I need to request Garda Clearance from back home too, since I've only been in Oz a couple of years? Any other documentation required that I should know about, apart from the application obviously? And I take it that I then send those docs and application form together to London in January then. Sooooo excited... this news has really put the bounce back in my step again!! :D

Can i ask how you went about geting the drivers traffic history report?

Through the VicRoads website.
    https://www5a.maxi.com.au/epp/vrd/DriverHistory.asp?pr=2&step=1

For Queensland you go through their road authority!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dont think too much

I have a question for anyone that may be able to help me. My partner moved to west canada in Oct this year on an IEC visa. She has got a job as a manager for 3 stores in the year which means I can now apply for an open work permit as common law spouse. Has anyone does this before or have any info about it. The cic.gc website doesn't seem to have specific info. I am still in ireland but my passport is stamped with a temporary visa til Sep 2013.. All help welcome please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 sayersc

We had trouble getting the victoria one, because we needed one to state my OH never had a driving licence in OZ. But we got around it, emailed in a letter and got it eventually. Let me know if anyone wants the details and I will post them here.

Could you please let me know how you did this because I'm in the same situation too.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

i was in oz but never held a drivers licence, i did a bit of driving on my own irish licence, do i need to get driving clearance also?

Hi Undertow,

I never owned a car over there, just rented one for 2 weeks when i got there to do a bit of travelling, do i still need one?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

i was in oz but never held a drivers licence, i did a bit of driving on my own irish licence, do i need to get driving clearance also?

If you didn't have a license I'm pretty sure you won't even be on there system. So unless you want the police to send you a letter head.

zweton wrote: »
    Hi Undertow,

I never owned a car over there, just rented one for 2 weeks when i got there to do a bit of travelling, do i still need one?

I'm not 100% sure buddy, but I very much doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Sorry to ask a question that's kind of already been answered I just want to be 100% sure!

I have a letter of introduction from the 2012 initiative that doesn't need to be activated until June next year.

So if I go over in June 2013 and activate the visa I currently have that will give me 12 months, and then when the 2014 initiative opens I can apply again and get another 24 months??

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭minnow12

Yep -you can get 3 years total.

is it garda clearance or a police cert that is required?

I was reading the Irish in Calgary page on facebook and they seem to think that these are 2 different things and it is a police cert that is required? seen as there are no police in ireland, they are gardai, and garda clearance clears you of any crime. but what they seem to be saying is that this cert comes from a Superintendent in the Gardai?

Could somebody clear up the confusion for me thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

is it garda clearance or a police cert that is required?

I was reading the Irish in Calgary page on facebook and they seem to think that these are 2 different things and it is a police cert that is required? seen as there are no police in ireland, they are gardai, and garda clearance clears you of any crime. but what they seem to be saying is that this cert comes from a Superintendent in the Gardai?

Could somebody clear up the confusion for me thanks?

well thanks for that. cheered me up some.

They are not 2 different things, its like needing a policia cert instead of a police cert for ones time spent in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 emec

Can i ask how you went about geting the drivers traffic history report?
    sayersc wrote: »
    Could you please let me know how you did this because I'm in the same situation too.
    Thanks.
    Hi Undertow,

Apologies for the late replies!

If you were living in Queensland or Victoria, you need to get a driving history report. This can be done easily using your Australian driving licence number.

If you did not own an Australian licence, or drive at all there, you still need to get a letter from them stating this.
    From the website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/australia.asp
    Applicants who are unable to provide a Traffic History or a Licence History Search must provide evidence, issued by the Queensland and/or Victoria roads authority, stating that the person has never held a driver’s licence in that state.

I don't know about the Queensland one, but here is what my OH did for the Victoria one (and has just done again this year)

Sent the email below to demerits@roads.vic.gov.au
    Hello,

I have attached a letter to request confirmation that I did not hold a license while living in Victoria during the period [year] to [year].

Please contact me at this email address should you need any further information.

Thanks and regards,

Attached Letter:
    [your current address]

Demerits Department
    VicRoads

[date]

To whom it concerns,

I would like to request a letter from VicRoads confirming that I did not hold a Victorian driving license while living in Victoria.

This is for the requirements of a working holiday visa application to Canada.

My personal details are as follows:

Full Name:

Date of birth:

Time living in Victoria:

Address while living in Victoria:

Please mail the letter to: [current address]

Should you require any further information, please contact me at [email address].

Kind regards,

[signature]

This worked last year and don't expect any hassle this year. Took ages to get details of what should be in the letter, had to get someone in OZ to call in to them and ask. Didn't take that long to get the letter back, quicker than the AFP check.

If you were living in Queensland or Victoria, you need to get a driving history report. This can be done easily using your Australian driving licence number.

If you did not own an Australian licence, or drive at all there, you still need to get a letter from them stating this.
    From the website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/australia.asp

I don't know about the Queensland one, but here is what my OH did for the Victoria one (and has just done again this year)

Attached Letter:

This worked last year and don't expect any hassle this year. Took ages to get details of what should be in the letter, had to get someone in OZ to call in to them and ask. Didn't take that long to get the letter back, quicker than the AFP check.

Sorry for all the questions, i was only in NSW, WA and ACT, was never in VIC or QLD, do i still need to get a letter? I never held an Oz driving licence.

Sorry for all the questions, i was only in NSW, WA and ACT, was never in VIC or QLD, do i still need to get a letter? I never held an Oz driving licence.

Nope, it is only for those two states that you need it. You only need the AFP check which is easy enough to do online!

Whats the AFP check? :) Agh nevermind its just police check

Cheers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ondadole

Attached Letter:

Hi many thanks for your info by the way, but just a quick question....
    Did you sign the letter with signature??

ondadole wrote: »
    Hi many thanks for your info by the way, but just a quick question....
    Did you sign the letter with signature??

Yeah, just to be on the safe side we did. Printed it, signed it, scanned it and sent it as an attachment with the email.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Hey guys quick question is backpacker/travel insurance needed? i no in Alberta they have free health care if i am on the iec visa would i be able to sign up for it? so would i still need to waste 200+ on insurance if thats the case:D

Also serious cheap flights on skyscanner to calgary at the min 350 one way to calgary in march:D

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Hey guys quick question is backpacker/travel insurance needed? i no in Alberta they have free health care if i am on the iec visa would i be able to sign up for it? so would i still need to waste 200+ on insurance if thats the case:D

Also serious cheap flights on skyscanner to calgary at the min 350 one way to calgary in march:D

Yeah you definitely still need backpacker/travel insurance. You need to be in the country and working to apply for the free health care. But the IEC requires further insurance in any case (annoying for people already in Canada paying for provincial health care!).

It is a nuisance, and they don't always ask for it at the border but I wouldn't chance it without.
    Moving 2 Canada have a good list to try for cheapest http://www.moving2canada.com/planning/travel-insurance/
    I would wait until just before booking flights to get this though!

Great price on flights, but I would hold off buying flights till I had letter of introduction. I know people last year who applied in Jan and for no reason didn't get anything till May.

Thanks very much for that :D..ah really thats kinda stupid soo:rolleyes:..oh yea i no i wont be booking anything till i get that :D
    How you finding Canada ?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for that :D..ah really thats kinda stupid soo:rolleyes:..oh yea i no i wont be booking anything till i get that :D
    How you finding Canada ?:p

I see on on Moving2Canada they are expecting not expecting the Iecs to be released before the middle of January

I no it sucks so annoying mad to get over and get working had hoped march but will probs be april or may now:o:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

gah!wanting to apply and get in before I am 36 at the end of April!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CianSmith85

Hey I read up about the police check even if you have a drunk driving charge you may not get visa I have a drunk in charge meaning I was sitting in a stationary vehicle while over the limit 7 years ago will this effect my iec visa??? Any info would be appreciated

I have recently applied and obtained my Garda clearance but when received I realise that he left out one of my residency addresses on the certificate when I lived in Ireland. Will I have to apply for a new one with all addresses shown on it or will it still be valid?

Raging as I'm living in Oz and its a fair bit of hassle going through the whole process again! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Just spotted this for those of ye already living in Canada:
    http://www.moving2canada.com/newsmedia/new-federal-skilled-trades-program/

Have to have a proper read of it myself. Found the link via "Irish in Vancouver" page up on FB. (I've no association to it!) but it is a good page to keep an eye on IMO.

• Advertisement

hi folks, i know the requirements for 2013 visa have not been announced yet but was just wondering what is typically required for the application documentation wise,

i have garda clearance, oz police clearance, upto date cv, copy of passport....anything else required, birth cert, passport photos or the likes??

cheers in advance

Advertisement