Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to IEC 2013 announced

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

gary27 wrote: »
    I agree somewhat with your point but for some people applying for the iec visa is the opportunity to find a job and make a better life for themselves.

True it is a stepping stone for some. But for the vast majority it's just an extended holiday. Plenty of work in the uk and Germany, yet we don't see the hype about going to live in those places. Canada is supposed to be a nice place I wish everyone luck but most will learn in their own time that moving abroad Is not a panacea. Hope maybe to go there myself in a few years but I know what's what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Sure each to there own jank i see you are abroad why didn't you move to them places you mentioned?;) i myself am using this visa to hopefully stay long term had the chance to go to NZ to CC but the pay was just not worth it. and with canada it is:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

jank wrote: »
    True it is a stepping stone for some. But for the vast majority it's just an extended holiday. Plenty of work in the uk and Germany, yet we don't see the hype about going to live in those places. Canada is supposed to be a nice place I wish everyone luck but most will learn in their own time that moving abroad Is not a panacea. Hope maybe to go there myself in a few years but I know what's what.

I think you are rather lumping everyone into the same boat, saying they are going for extended holidays, or don't understand how things will work over there. I know there are some like that. Think the streets are paved with gold and that it'l be hands down easy to find somewhere to live, a job and be on good money in no time. There are always dreamers like that. Then there are some people who are just going for the craic, to experience something different and will just come home after the two years and settle back into whatever. But there are a big chunk of people who are looking to better their lives, who want to settle over there if possible and make a better life. They understand it won't be easy to get set up and make that life, it'l be hard work and cost money. But they don't feel Ireland has anything to offer for them and they are fighting for nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

hdowney wrote: »
    I think you are rather lumping everyone into the same boat, saying they are going for extended holidays, or don't understand how things will work over there. I know there are some like that. Think the streets are paved with gold and that it'l be hands down easy to find somewhere to live, a job and be on good money in no time. There are always dreamers like that. Then there are some people who are just going for the craic, to experience something different and will just come home after the two years and settle back into whatever. But there are a big chunk of people who are looking to better their lives, who want to settle over there if possible and make a better life. They understand it won't be easy to get set up and make that life, it'l be hard work and cost money. But they don't feel Ireland has anything to offer for them and they are fighting for nothing.
    Yes, I agree but the stats indicate that it will be a small minority, usually under 10% if that. The press will latch onto,it though and use it to beat some politican saying that the floodgates have opened. The reality is very very different. It will take years to play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 danwport

Hey guys,

I'm currently living in Canada and didn't manage to get a spot on the IEC for this year. Anybody know if its possible to get an extension or anything that could extend my stay a bit longer? Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

What do you work at and how long is left on your visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 danwport

What do you work at and how long is left on your visa?

Working in a factory outside of Toronto. Have until September left on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

danwport wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm currently living in Canada and didn't manage to get a spot on the IEC for this year. Anybody know if its possible to get an extension or anything that could extend my stay a bit longer? Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

you cannot extend your current work permit. end of story.

seeing as you missed out this year i guess your only other option is for an employer to apply for an LMO on your behalf. It takes about 3 months to process if its the companies first time being granted one.

note tho that this option is highly unlikely in your case as one of the criteria which must be met is the companies inability to fill the position with a permanent resident of Canada. With factory work near Toronto I'm sure there is lots of Canadians to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

NoelAPM wrote: »
    you cannot extend your current work permit. end of story.

seeing as you missed out this year i guess your only other option is for an employer to apply for an LMO on your behalf. It takes about 3 months to process if its the companies first time being granted one.

note tho that this option is highly unlikely in your case as one of the criteria which must be met is the companies inability to fill the position with a permanent resident of Canada. With factory work near Toronto I'm sure there is lots of Canadians to choose from.

Not necessarily. In Alberta Canadians don't want to work in factories and employment goes to foreign workers. In some cases factories will get open LMO's in the hope of filling the position. I'm sure the same can be said for Ontario.

Even some new provincial nominee programs have accomadated factory and food service industries.

Advertisement