Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any point enrolling in an HPAT preparation course?

Options
  • 16-11-2012 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I was just wondering if there is any point enrolling in an HPAT preparation course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 justniamh

As far as i know out of those who get into medicine, there's little difference between those who've done the course and those who haven't. i may be a little out of date though as i did it nearly 3 years ago.
    The most important thing in my opinion is to practice the timing yourself at home.
    The exam is designed to not be able to study for it really, if you ask me the courses are just ways for these institutions to make a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 damfam

thanking you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

I'd agree with the guy above. I say it to everyone who asks, plenty of people who do courses do badly, plenty of people (myself included) do the practice test alone and do very well. There's obviously plenty of overlap in there, but I don't think the courses make a difference beyond what any reasonably intelligent person can do with the test answers and going over each question carefully to see what the exam was really looking for. Best of luck with it all.

thanks AndrewJD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

To be honest, I'd go and do one if possible to be on the safe side. I've noted myself that it's hard to draw a conclusion based on how one's classmates (in medicine) got on in the HPAT and whether they did a prep course because some did do a course and did very well, whereas others didn't and still did well. I think most people I know who did very well in the HPAT did a prep course. That said, it's hard to conclude if the prep course helped them or if they were just the sort so committed (and with the money) to do one and would've probably done well without one anyway.

The HPAT report released this year (which you can read in full by clicking here) says pretty much the same thing...
    The HPAT-Ireland scores of candidates who availed of commercial courses are higher than the scores of those who did not and this is evident in all HPAT subsections but is greater in the case of section 3 (non verbal reasoning). Although, the absolute difference in scores between the two cohorts is small, it is a cause of concern. The data, however, also demonstrates significant trait differences between candidates who take a commercial course compared with those that do not with respect to their academic ability i.e. it is predominantly the high academic achievers who access commercial preparatory courses. These characteristics no doubt also contribute to the improved scores observed. In summary, analysis of the data supports a benefit to taking such commercial courses however the observed higher academic ability of such candidates is also a significant contributing factor to this apparent benefit.
    It should be noted that the only data they have on how people who did prep courses fared in the HPAT compared to those who didn't do a prep course is based on a small sample size, as very few (around 20% I think) responded to the questionnaire they sent out, unfortunately. It also says the difference in scores is "small" but no numbers.

In summary, I'd go and do a prep course simply because if you don't get medicine you might regret not doing one and spend your time wondering "what if...", and sure life's too short for regrets. Doing one definitely can't harm your chances.

• Advertisement

thanks for the info jumpguy...much obliged:)

Advertisement