Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Responsibility for rent in a shared property?

• 16-11-2012 5:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Probably a naive question, this, and one I am asking mostly for my own satisfaction. I'm a veteran renter, but up until now I've rented as a single family unit, and not as a single person in a shared unit.

Anyway. Onto my question: All of my house mates are in arrears in rent; I am apparently the only person who has paid in full, on time. The letting agents are somewhat passive-aggressive, and have sent out blanket text reminding everyone that the house is in severe arrears. The wording of the text only indicates the entire amount that the house as a whole.

While I rent an individual room, the leasing agreement I signed with my house mates likewise indicates the total rent due for the house every month. I am curious as to what happens if and when one or more house mates are evicted (as seems likely for one).

Assuming someone is evicted, can/does my weekly payment increase, because I signed a contract sharing a house for a monthly rate?

I tried to Google around on this question, but I didn't find anything pertinent to Irish law.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

i would say yes, but chat to the letting agents, make your case, see what they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It sounds like you have signed a joint lease.

The typical wording on such leases means that you are all liable for the rent individually - you will have to pay if your house mates don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

You're liable as a group. Irrelevant of the numbers in the group.

Think of it from the landlord perspective. You rent out your property to, say, four people. They sign a single rental agreement for a lump sum. As a landlord, all you care about it getting that lump sum per month. You don't care how it is divvied up internally. If one person leaves you still expect the full amount. Not 75%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you have all signed a joint lease then you are all liable for the total rent and are all likely to get evicted, not just one of you.

It depends on the arrangement you have with the landlord though with regards renting a room and how you pay. If you are each being charged separately for your rooms then you could argue that your roommates rent and whether or not they have paid is not your problem.

Advertisement