Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray Darcy Show advertising pups

• 16-11-2012 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Ray-DArcy-Show/Blog.aspx

Came across this blog post this morning and it really annoyed me. They are helping someone rehome some pups her dog had calling her a 'dr doolittle'. She didnt bother to spay her dog and ended up with a lot of pups and no one wants to take one.

What about all the dogs in pounds around the country waiting to be put to sleep today.

Maybe I am over reacting but I think it is very irresponsible to be rehoming dogs through a radio station.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Ya I can see um getting a nice bit of schtick for this but I suppose the heart is in the right place trying to re-home the pups! Once they all go to good homes that's the main thing I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

ryan84 wrote: »
    http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Ray-DArcy-Show/Blog.aspx

Came across this blog post this morning and it really annoyed me. They are helping someone rehome some pups her dog had calling her a 'dr doolittle'. She didnt bother to spay her dog and ended up with a lot of pups and no one wants to take one.

What about all the dogs in pounds around the country waiting to be put to sleep today.

Maybe I am over reacting but I think it is very irresponsible to be rehoming dogs through a radio station.

You know nothing about how she came to have a pregnant dog, how do you know she didn't rescue it? There's far bigger problems in the world than someone trying to rehome puppies on a radio station. Dogs Trust have TV ads, the Pet Rescue show on Channel 4 always featured an appeal from a shelter about an animal needing a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ryan84

details from the owner on the radio now 'pixies best friend died so she went on a mission to get pregnant to feel better. pixie has been with them since she was a pup.'

I was right to be annoyed.

details from the owner on the radio now 'pixies best friend died so she went on a mission to get pregnant to feel better. pixie has been with them since she was a pup.'

Jesus that's shocking to be fair!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

It seems pretty irresponsible that she let her unspayed dog wander. She didn't make it clear if the dog was just wandering off or actually escaping, but it sounded like it happened a few times.

The main thing, I suppose, is that the pups get good homes, so fingers crossed she's pretty discerning and not just looking to offload them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I wonder if I wrote the show a heartfelt letter about all the abandoned dogs that will have to spend months in kennels waiting for a good home due to the stupidity of people would they help me find them all good homes? I think not.

Am sickened.

Doubt the owners standards when it comes to new homes will be that high if this is the situation she has already created with her own dog.

I listen to the show everyday in work and any time I text in it has been read out. Today I text 4 times asking what about the dogs sitting in dog pounds waiting to be put to sleep. Of course they didn't read it out. And I am sure I am not the only one who text in too.

I tried to ring them aswell but no answer. Last week 10(i think) 6 week old pups were found dumped and put in the pound. People were looking for homes for them urgently because they were about to be pts. These are the kind of dogs that should be helped by them.

If you haven't heard the owner on the show listen to the second hour on play back for todays show. Its near the end of it as far as I remember. (near 10.50 as thats when I posted about it here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Total over reaction. Her dog was depressed having lost her best friend. Her dog is now happy. If she finds homes for the pups what is the issue? None.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

gimmick wrote: »
    Total over reaction. Her dog was depressed having lost her best friend. Her dog is now happy. If she finds homes for the pups what is the issue? None.

Do you really think a dog is even capable of thinking "I'm depressed because my friend died. If I had puppies then I'd feel better."? If so, what's she going to do when the dog gets depressed when the puppies get taken away?

She didn't neuter her dog and the dog then was either allowed to wander, or escaped from the garden and wound up pregnant because of her negligence. She is responsible for the rehoming of the puppies, and the radio station should be doing everything it can to persuade people to rehome from shelters, not from people who can't be bothered to neuter their pets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Do you think the dog would still be depressed now if she hadn't had the pups?
    There is an issue. There is an issue with every person who deliberately and facetiously allows their bitch to have a litter of pups. The issue in 2010 was almost equal to the number 6000. That is the amount of unwanted, healthy dogs killed in Irish pounds that year, figures for 2011 aren't out yet. The issue also equals a further ~20,000 unwanted dogs per annum that are rehomed by unpaid, voluntary rescue organisations.
    The issue further equals ? unwanted dogs killed every year in a private capacity by their owners, the ones who don't let their dogs go to rescue or the pound. These are the dogs killed by the vet, or by a bullet to the head.
    No issue? Come off it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

How about the phone call I got this morning from someone with a 7 month old pup that was sitting outside a pound, they had told them that if they surrendered the dog in it would killed, so they phoned me. I have no room, can't take it, so another dog dies - but hey, its okay, people like this lovely lady let their dog have puppies to make them feel better.

ETA: I apologise if I have broken forum rules, but i am just at the end of my tether with the situation here, have gone way past the angry stage, am at the 'I give up' stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭sav1980

I didn't hear this on the radio - I no longer listen to Ray D'Arcy since every one of his shows began to sound the same, but I do wish that broadcasters / journalists when covering these kinds of issues would just take 30 seconds at the end to urge people to adopt a rescue animal instead of buying. Heartbreaking to know how many animals get put to sleep in Ireland every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Really?? You think so??

Try asking all the rescues and pounds who are up to ninety and are at breaking point trying to rehome all these unplanned, unwanted pups every year, thousands of them, and ask them is it an over reaction!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

It seems to be gone off the blog now. Hmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

So it is. I imagine that's probably due to them getting tonnes of emails from people wanting the pups than them rethinking their position, though.

Its funny when you spell it out it sounds bad.

It also sounds bad when you say you have an animal and i am going to have it cut open and have its sex organs removed in order to stop procreation hence playing god, and clearly denying the animal its rights it was born with.

I always hear this argument about shelters being full. So this whole neutering and setting up dog registration does not work. So why not ban dogs as pets ?

Collectively humans are not capable of owning dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Well some of them aren't.

Isn't killing thousands of unwanted dogs every year also taking away a right they were born with?

Which would you think is better, to take away their "right" to procreate, or their right to life?

It also sounds bad when you say you have an animal and i am going to have it cut open and have its sex organs removed in order to stop procreation hence playing god, and clearly denying the animal its rights it was born with.

I always hear this argument about shelters being full. So this whole neutering and setting up dog registration does not work. So why not ban dogs as pets ?

This makes no sense. I play 'god' in every aspect of my dog's life. If I choose to feed him, what I feed him ( mackerel for lunch today, oh the power); whether I exercise him, or pat him on the head, godlike I will decide. Now my dog is intact and will remain so, but again- godlike- I decide where he goes and when, and who he mingles with. I won't breed him, because– godlike– I've decided there are enough pups in the world. It's got nothing to do with 'rights', he has no rights, only what I, godlike, confer onto him. If I want to kill him tomorrow I can take him to my vet and insist he is killed. He doesn't even have the 'right' to life.
    Luckily for him, I love him to bits and am a considerate owner. Suggesting that neutering or spaying dogs does not help the over population of unwanted dogs in this country is egregious.
    If people refuse to neuter/spay that's also up to them, but if they refuse and then let their dogs wander and procreate willy nilly, then god like, they are doing their animals a disservice.

I reckon they have got a lo of negative feedback on this one! they have taken the post down from their blog!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 candy69

we have five dogs we also foster dogs. it makes me sick to see so many unwanted animals and mistreated animals. our dogs are all neautered and spayed. there are so many gorgeous animals in shelters and pounds through no fault of their own just selfish people breeding for money and selfish people buying them and then not wanting them its heartbreaking. the amount of animals we have fostered that have had so much crueltly done to them :mad. if people went to animal shelters and seen the sadness and distress they would think about having litters.

• Advertisement

This is the letter that was read out. I didn't realise how long it was when I decided to type it to post it here!! The dog pixie is a lab boxer cross.

"It all begins 6 years ago when a little pup called pixie came to live with us. We already had a dog called Roxy. Roxy was the wisest animal I have ever come across. She was devoted and loving dog and we had a privilege of welcoming to our family. Roxy and Pixie became inseparable. Roxie was the responsible adult. Pixie was the playful youngster. They absolutely adored each other. A few weeks ago, three weeks before the birth of our third baby Roxy got very ill and we had no choice but to put her down. We were devastated. It was difficult not to imagine seeing her happy face welcoming us home any more. I believe we know very little about the levels of emotions animals’ experience, we don’t know and we don’t give them enough credit for the depth of feelings. After Roxy was gone, pixies changed dramatically. It took us a good few days to figure out why she insisted on sleeping on the boot of the car, then it hit us it was the last place she saw Roxy alive. For the next two months pixie was physically sick, she would lie down and shiver so much that the four of us would take turns consoling her. Then out of the blue she started running away. A month after her first escapade it all became clear. Pixie was on a mission. She was on a mission to get pregnant.
    At this stage she was six years old and never before did she show any interest in her male friends. It really wasn’t like her. Eight weeks ago we all watched the birth of our ten puppies. What a lesson in love that was. She always made sure to touch with her nose or lick each and every one of them, never leaving any one of them out. I watched with amazement how, having fed them for the one hundredth time she would sit down and with pride in her eyes she would watch them play with each other. She really seemed to have found herself in this new role. My husband thinks that I have lost it, that a dog cannot will herself to get pregnant. Well watching pixie deal with grief and lineless for the past few months makes me question that.
    The pups are now eight weeks old. They consume 2 kg of meat plus 2kg of pasta and rice a day. Not to mention some dry food as well. They are ready to go into the world to make some other families happy even though parting with them will be very difficult for us. I feel that I owe it to pixie to not only find homes for her pups but to also find people who are willing to open their hearts and love them."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

So first they teach the dog to continue acting in a depressed manner. They they don't contain it within their own property, which is against the law. And of course she was 'on a mission to get pregnant' they didn't neuter her and she came into heat! A dog can't 'decide' to have a family, the body says 'find a male' so that's what she does.

candy69 wrote: »
    we have five dogs we also foster dogs. it makes me sick to see so many unwanted animals and mistreated animals. our dogs are all neautered and spayed. there are so many gorgeous animals in shelters and pounds through no fault of their own just selfish people breeding for money and selfish people buying them and then not wanting them its heartbreaking. the amount of animals we have fostered that have had so much cruelty done to them :mad. if people went to animal shelters and seen the sadness and distress they would think about having litters.

Yet these people are not breeding for money. The same thing happens with terrapins. Now there is a push to ban selling terrapins as pets and rightly so.
    Dog people dont like to entertain this idea and shy away from it.
    Imagine if you were to put a ban on all dog breeding . In 20 years there could be little to know suffering of dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 candy69

no but people aren't stupid, you know when your dog is in heat. why in the name of god would you let your animal roam in heat. i am a dog person and i have the same views for other animals let it be terrapins, cats or any other animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Imagine if you were to put a ban on all dog breeding . In 20 years there could be little to know suffering of dogs.

If you were to ban all dog breeding, in 20 years there would be no dogs!

If you were to ban all dog breeding, in 20 years there would be no dogs!

This is his foray into the hyperbolical zone. We have too many people unwilling to prevent their dogs breeding; solution: let's punish all dog owners, that'll learn 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Yeah, like we haven't done that already? Do wolves come into heat two, even possibly three, times a year? No, so we've already played god. We've created these animals that can reproduce far too often for many years, surely as the creators of this problem we should be the ones to try and correct it?

Quite frankly, I'm furious that they played this tripe and go on just conventiently ignoring all of the other animals desperately needing homes.

Dre, I may have asked you this before. Perhaps not. But can you tell me, do you eat meat? Just need to know where on the sliding scale of ethics you place yourself.

I don't know if you're being deliberately facetious, my suspicion is that you knew you'd provoke a reaction here with your post, but in case I'm wrong, I'll reply to counter some of your misapprehensions.

Make no mistake... the domestication of ANY species is playing God. That is the simple reality. We choose which animals to breed, we choose which animals will not. That is how we domesticated all presently domesticated species. Make no mistake about that. So, let's get rid of all domesticated animals, shall we?

Can you tell me, which works better for you in your grand scheme of things? Cutting open an animal (under anaesthetic) to remove its sexual organs (followed by after-care and pain killers), or, putting a sack of unwanted kittens or pups into a barrel of water? Or, putting your unwanted litters/adults into the pound or rescue for someone else to deal with? Or, putting a bullet in the back of X thousand greyhounds' heads each year? Collectively, these methods are chosen by the owners of at least 30,000 healthy dogs every single year in Ireland.
    So, which is more ethical Dre? Stop them reporducing? Or kill the result?
    It's already been asked of you, and I'd like to second that I'm looking for your answer too.

Or, do we ban dog ownership? How will this work? If dog ownership is banned, that's the end of Guide Dogs, therapy dogs, cancer-detection dogs, epilepsy-detecting dogs, bomb-detection dogs, drug detection dogs, counterfeit-good detection dogs, protection dogs for our Gardai, army, navy, fisheries, and customs services, cattle herding dogs, sheep herding dogs, gundogs (and consequently, shooting, and consequently, all game birds, and consequently, their habitat), search and rescue dogs, and, pet dogs, proven to hugely enhance the quality of life for their owners.
    So, if you don't mind me saying so,
    I dont see how your suggestion can work without having some serious knock-on consequences. What do you say? How will you get around all of the above with your Grand Scheme?

You will find that it is the very people who don't actually need to neuter their dogs that are getting them neutered: responsible pet owner's dogs could have 12 pairs of testicles, they still wouldn't be allowed to procreate. It's people like that numpty on Ray D'Arcy who would, with your strange Grand Scheme, cause all of us who benefit from dogs to lose a highly valuable resource. But until these people either (a) stop wilfully allowing their dogs to roam, illegally, or (b) get them neutered, then the unwanted dog problem will go on and on and on. So, why do we all have to pay for the numpties?

I take great issue with you saying that collectively, humans are not capable of owning dogs. For starters, without humans, there would be no dogs. Or cattle. Or sheep. Or horses. Or hens.
    But more's the point, there are countries who do not have an unwanted dog problem, because of different cultural attitudes, and because their dog control laws are rigourously enforced. Sweden, Austria, Switzerland are examples close to home. New South Wales have a model for dog ownership that makes those of us who are fighting to save dogs in Ireland green with envy in many ways:
    http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/dlg/dlghome/dlg_InformationIndex.asp?mi=9&ml=1&areaindex=CA&index=301

Even closer to home, although not perfect, our neighbours in the UK have a far healthier view of dog ownership than we do, and with the exception of some parts, they don't have much of an unwanted dog problem, and have a very low euthanasia rate for healthy adult dogs. And, as is evidenced here, there are a lot of dog owners in Ireland who are more than "capable" of owning dogs in a way that does not impact on society, other than in a positive way.

So, in fact, humans (creators of dogs) are perfectly capable of being wonderful dog owners, and your big old brush with which you tarred everyone is just facetious and lazy. Unfortunately, a lazy attitude is precisely what has Ireland in the state it's in, dog-overpopulation wise. We are known for being laissez-faire about our legal duties generally, no matter who or what suffers as a result of our devil-may-care attitude.. But this does not mean that every dog owner should be vilified, and there are mor egood dog owners out there than you seem to think.
    But really, to come onto an animal forum such as this and tell the inherently responsible dog owners that they're not capable? I return to my initial comment that I suspect you came on here just to get yourself a nice big reaction.

I was going to do a big long post on the inconsistencies in this post and then touch on the fact there are over a million dogs suffering and killed each year due to humans and this number seems to be ok as collectivly we are not bad owners of dogs :confused:, I was also bring up the similarities with people who dont buy Nike or walk around in Nike what with the Karma issues involving child labour but as dog owners we choose to ignore etc....

But i decided to post on something that you are correct about below......
    DBB wrote: »
    Make no mistake... the domestication of ANY species is playing God. That is the simple reality. We choose which animals to breed, we choose which animals will not. That is how we domesticated all presently domesticated species.

and she chose to breed her dog just as humans have been doing all along.

But lets be clear about one thing here. By the fact you are allowed to own a dog you are excepting the fact that over a 10000 of these animals going to be put down every year and by walking your dog in public chances are you are going to drive up sales of these animals hence adding to this already high number.

• Advertisement

Who is "she"? Edited: ok, I know what you mean now.

Your post must be one of the oddest I've ever read in this forum. The minute the word karma is mentioned, I'm gone. I'm mystified what the link is between owning a dog, and child welfare in Nike factories? How are these two things linked?
    I want to ask you again dre, do you eat meat? Or eggs? Or fish? Or drink milk?

Advertisement