Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marzipan and xmas cake for that matter no nuts possible??

Options
  • 16-11-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Can you make marzipan for your xmas cake without nuts??

Is there a good substitute.

My wife is pregnant so I dont want to use any nuts at all.

For the cake I'm just taking them out of the recipie altogether but again nut sure what to put in their place.

Thanks a mil,

Eoin

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've moved this to Cake & Pie where there's a lot of Christmas cake baking going on :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Marzipan is almond paste so I can't imagine you could make it without nuts! Why don't you just leave it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Faith wrote: »
    Marzipan is almond paste so I can't imagine you could make it without nuts! Why don't you just leave it out?

Yeah thought I'd end up doing that alright. Was hopin there'd be a viable alternative though. Kinda part of the whole xmas cake thing ya know.

Well, it's just almonds, eggs and sugar. So you really can't make it without almonds. You could put a ganache on the cake before the icing if you wanted, but I doubt you could replicate the marzipan. But there are recipes online, such as this one: http://www.oetker.co.uk/oetker_uk/frequently_asked_questions/baking_faqs/how_can_i_make_nut_free_marzipan.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Can you not eat nuts when you're preg? I did, stuffed my face on stollen which has marzipan. You don't have to go the traditional route anyway, you can leave out the marzipan or make a chocolate xmas log instead, they're really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Not to give medical advice, but she should ask her doctor if there is any medical reason why she cannot eat almonds during pregnancy.

There is a theory that eating peanuts during pregnancy increases the risk that the child will develop a peanut allergy, but is only a theory, not proven and not universally accepted by doctors and dieticians,

Almonds are not peanuts. Almonds are tree nuts so an allergy to almonds is completely different.

huskerdu wrote: »
    Not to give medical advice, but she should ask her doctor if there is any medical reason why she cannot eat almonds during pregnancy.

There is a theory that eating peanuts during pregnancy increases the risk that the child will develop a peanut allergy, but is only a theory, not proven and not universally accepted by doctors and dieticians,

Almonds are not peanuts. Almonds are tree nuts so an allergy to almonds is completely different.

No point in taking the risk when they're fairly handily avoided.

No point in taking the risk when they're fairly handily avoided.

Unless there is no risk, but its her decision,

huskerdu wrote: »
    Unless there is no risk, but its her decision,

Are you a doctor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Here's a substitute:
    If you’re not a fan of almonds or you’re allergic to them, here’s a quick solution for a nut-free marzipan substitute. Shift 5 oz of icing sugar. Mix it together with 5 oz of semolina and 2 tsp of custard powder. Beat and egg white and add it to the mix. Add 2 tsp of either vanilla extract or orange flower water for some flavoring. Mix everything together until a firm paste develops.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/substitute-marzipan-for-baking.html

• Advertisement

Are you a doctor?

I specifically said that the pregnany woman should ask her doctor. I am passing on what a number of doctors and hospital dieticians told me. THe advice changes all the time.

Are you a doctor?

Lose the attitude or don't post here any more.

huskerdu was trying to be helpful. Peanuts perhaps should be avoided, but there's no well-known literature saying all nuts should be avoided. It makes perfect sense for your OH to discuss it with her doctor before you go to great lengths to make almond-free almond paste.

Faith wrote: »
    Lose the attitude or don't post here any more.

huskerdu was trying to be helpful. Peanuts perhaps should be avoided, but there's no well-known literature saying all nuts should be avoided. It makes perfect sense for your OH to discuss it with her doctor before you go to great lengths to make almond-free almond paste.

What attitude? I asked a question. I'd appreciate it if you didnt accuse me something with no grounds. Thank you.

There is no conclusion yes or no on this issue whether its peanuts or any other type of nut. Numerous studies have been done and theres a million and one arguements either way on the internet for and against so my wife has decided against eating them.

Thanks again to Mickgotsick who gave me the best answer without asking me why I wanted said recipie instead just answered the question. That was all I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

I thought that pregnant women should avoid eating products containing raw egg...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

vic20 wrote: »
    I thought that pregnant women should avoid eating products containing raw egg...?

There's no raw egg in bought marzipan. OP I'd just leave it out if you're that concerned about nuts, although I've never heard anything about almonds not being good for pregnant women.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

I know there's no egg in bought marzipan.
    I was commenting on the recipe in this post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81781831&postcount=11
    There's no raw egg in bought marzipan. OP I'd just leave it out if you're that concerned about nuts, although I've never heard anything about almonds not being good for pregnant women.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

I have a nut allergy, and always make my own Christmas cake, obviously without all the nutty ingredients! When it comes to icing it, I roll out a thin layer of icing and cover the cake (after brushing with some apricot jam) and then I just cover it a second time with another layer of icing.

When my mother was pregnant with me she ate alot of marzipan, and I have been allergic to all nuts/tree nuts/seeds since I can remember. If your wife is being extra careful, she will need to pay special attention to food labels, as alot of food gets cross contaminated by the use of machinery that was previously used to make food containing nuts. Its a long trip to the supermarket with me, trying to pick out stuff that I can eat! :)

Advertisement