Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Fair in The Elms, Punchestown

Options
  • 16-11-2012 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Just back from this christmas fair and it is fab, and its in aid of Tiglin so a great cause too.

I got beautiful christmas decorations and some hand-made jewellery, all of which were made by the Tiglin participants. There is one stall at the back (beside Santa's grotto) and the stuff is amazing. And really good value.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Just back from this christmas fair and it is fab, and its in aid of Tiglin so a great cause too.

I got beautiful christmas decorations and some hand-made jewellery, all of which were made by the Tiglin participants. There is one stall at the back (beside Santa's grotto) and the stuff is amazing. And really good value.

Just in the door from this 'fair' also.

Sorry, but I'd have to disagree.

Disastrous day there altogether.

Parking, had to park in a muddy field, car got bogged in and needed to be towed back out.

The fair itself, more of an overpriced jumble sale than a fair, antiques and retro stuff for sale, as an example a wicker basket had a €155 price tag.

Everything (stalls) had been crammed into a ware house, some of it upstairs which had no elevator, which was far from ideal to a family with a push chair and 2 children under 3.

Christmas fairs in my experience, tend to be open air festive events, this I've was as far removed from that as you could imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭offroadannie

I guess it was different from Friday morning when I was one of the first there. I also had a buggy with me and was parked in the field and had no problems getting in/out. I got christmas decorations from as little as €3 and a necklace from €5. Maybe all that stuff was gone by today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 corrie93

Mummy taylor I also have to agree with you Ghandee you sound like such a scrooge or you were at a different fair!! I also parked in the field and the elves with the golf cart were there before I even got out of my car. I went in an was offered a complimentary hot chocolate and then got some great decorations for Euro3 and then there was items made by the girls in the charity Tiglin which opened my eyes to the amount of work this charity do and I bought a beautiful ring for Euro4.... Weather wasn't great but not the fault of the organisers but in fairness the marquee had twinkly lights on the roof, friendly people on the stalls and I really enjoyed my time there... Well done.. will defo go again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

So...............

Two brand spanking new listees, register, and in both first posts comment in the same mode about the same topic???????:eek:

MT & C93, I wasn't there, but would lean towards believing someone who has more credibility and has made almost 5,500 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Bulmers on Ice

I was at this on Saturday and had to park in a muddy field. I had two kids with me, one of which was in a buggy and I agree with Ghandee on certain things. The weather didn't help the elms I will say that for them. They did put in a lot of effort especially with all the advertising of this around Naas. It probably didn't help that Santa arrived in Naas town on Saturday and the market in the town which started last Saturday and will run for the next few Saturdays. The fair was expensive for what I could see I only got to quickly skim over parts because of the buggy and I didn't buy anything.
    It did kind of feel festive but back in Naas town it felt more so. Would I go back to the elms? Maybe but I would leave the kids at home which kind of defeats the point. The market in Naas if it goes well will have the buzz of the town and the market. Maybe it just suits me more.

• Advertisement

The more posts = the more credibility?????

I got xmas decorations for €3/4/5 and jewellery made by the girls from Tiglin at €3 for a bracelet and €5 for a necklace. Great value. And great cause

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

stop with the back seat moderation folks..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

mummytaylor sitebanned for shilling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Apologies BuffyBot, wasnt meaning to be a back seat Mod. Just thought it uncanny both people mentioned almost the same points.

Zaph, may I ask - what's 'shilling'?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Shill = someone pretending to be a neutral/third party promoting something they have an interest in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

The more posts = the more credibility?????

I got xmas decorations for €3/4/5 and jewellery made by the girls from Tiglin at €3 for a bracelet and €5 for a necklace. Great value. And great cause

Sorry offroad Annie, it isn't personal, I just thought the whole thing was as far removed from a Christmas fair as could be.

Granted, yes there was a few 'elves' driving buggies etc to get you to the ware house, but once in the warehouse things changed.

If you're a fan of Avoca in Rathcoole, (ie quirky/retro items, that while may be nice/fashionable, come with hugely inflated price tags) go there instead.

Both selling the same stuff, but Avoca isn't as crammed into the same tiny area, and you won't need towed out of the carpark afterwards.

As for the folk labelling me a 'Scrooge', I attended the fair with a little toddler and a six eek old baby to get everyone in the mood for Christmas.

Trying to negotiate the crammed fair through a muddy field, surrounded by what was obviously horse breeding elite , dressed in bow ties and braces if you don't mind,v selling over priced tat, and subsequently needing towed out of what can only be described as a bog, didn't quite seem festive to me.

I'm giving an honest, unbiased opinion folk's.

Believe me, or take the others on this thread at their impartial word.

I guess our timings is the difference here Ghandee. I was one of the first there and was gone by 10:30. I didn't buy any of The Elms stuff, just stuck with the Tiglin stalls. And of course the field was fine then too, I walked across it pushing a buggy with no problems. Its a pity that things obviously changed over the few days

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I went on the Sunday, I was dying to get into the spirit. It was overpriced and uncomfortably packed. I can't imagine how awkward it would have been to get around with a buggy! I left very disappointed.

Advertisement