Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives for Law Graduates

Options
  • 16-11-2012 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

So like many users on Boards.ie, I am a law graduate looking for alternatives both inside and outside of Ireland. I started this thread so that discussion can take place. In effect, this is a sort of definitive post for people in the same boat.

I studied both law and business at college and I am now interested in a career in Finance. Given that TCD has a world-class reputation and comparing the costs associated with the UK courses in this area, I don't see the massive benefit in going abroad. For this reason, I am seriously considering the TCD MSc in Finance.

However, there is a lot to be said for graduates nowadays who hold a strong legal background as it would enable me to perhaps apply for some of the most prestigious colleges in the UK, and all the while doing something finance related e.g. International Financial Law at KCL or Law and Finance at QMUL.

The problem facing me down this latter path is that (a) I would have to complete the LLB; (b) then complete my Masters at KCL or QMUL etc (c) secure a training contract and (d) go to BPP or Kaplan so that I can sit the English Bar. Overall, this means another three years of education, more money, and uncertainty.

In contrast, the career in finance (MSc at TCD) avoids all of this and will most likely provide with a solid job upon graduation.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

apriori wrote: »
    In contrast, the career in finance (MSc at TCD) avoids all of this and will most likely provide with a solid job upon graduation.

Any advice?
    I don't work in either finance or law, but I think you're placing far too much to stock in institutions' reputations. I very much doubt that any masters from any institution is "most likely" to provide you with a "solid job" upon graduation. At least, I don't think it's going to aid you in your job hunt as much as you think.

If I were you, I would first of all broaden my search criteria and consider masters courses elsewhere. Forget about reputation and focus on course content, because employers won't care what a piece of paper says you can do (granted, the HR people screening the applications might), they'll want to know what you can actually do. You may well conclude that Trinity is still the best option for you, but just don't go ruling out alternatives based on "reputation".

Then, you need to weigh up what you're going to gain from doing the masters and if it's worth the expense, relative to just going out and trying to get a job with what you have already. My own personal opinion is that a lot of people fork out for a masters (and it is a fairly substantial investment in terms of both time and money) and it often does not provide much of a return.

Advertisement