Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VIGIL FOR SAVITA - SLIGO SAT 17th

Options
  • 16-11-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hello all we are organising a vigil for Savita at the top of o connell st opposite the post office at 4.00 pm sligo sat the 17th coming,all are welcome and please spread the word ...this is a link to the facebook page please share and invite https://www.facebook.com/events/261988813924324/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Why are you holding a vigil?

This is a medical issue which has to be investigated?

You have read the Constitution? You have heard of the X-case? You have heard of the Medical Council? Please do not allow any politicians to have involvement with this emotive issue.

In my opinion this issue has simply being seized by pro-choice lobbyists - I'd imagine those there (I'd guess you will have about 20 present) are women's right activists etc, etc, all paid by the State. I suppose we will have nonsense of Labour party activists there also - knowing the cordial relations between the pleasant Sligo labour representatives that should be fun.

Just because her husband alleges that his late wife was denied an abortion because it is a Catholic country pro-choicer lobby has swung into full force.

Using the death of this Indian lady - who has become the poster girl for pro-choice- is just a sad and tragic exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Her name is Savita. Unless you are trying to get the pro-cannabis crowd to turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

hello all we are organising a vigil for Savita at the top of o connell st opposite the post office at 4.00 pm sligo sat the 17th coming,all are welcome and please spread the word ...this is a link to the facebook page please share and invite https://www.facebook.com/events/261988813924324/
    What's the reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

red sean wrote: »
    What's the reason?

Grief junkies get a day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wizardmorgan

The vigil is being held in respect and rememberance of Savita Halappanavar's life and to create awareness surrounding the lack of legislation in regard to abortion in this country..

• Advertisement

Is this a pro-abortion gathering by another name?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 8_Ace

While this is indeed a tragedy, it's ultimately a medical negligence case. Why a group of people who didn't know the woman feel the need to celebrate her life is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Why are you holding a vigil?

This is a medical issue which has to be investigated?

You have read the Constitution? You have heard of the X-case? You have heard of the Medical Council? Please do not allow any politicians to have involvement with this emotive issue.

In my opinion this issue has simply being seized by pro-choice lobbyists - I'd imagine those there (I'd guess you will have about 20 present) are women's right activists etc, etc, all paid by the State. I suppose we will have nonsense of Labour party activists there also - knowing the cordial relations between the pleasant Sligo labour representatives that should be fun.

Just because her husband alleges that his late wife was denied an abortion because it is a Catholic country pro-choicer lobby has swung into full force.

Using the death of this Indian lady - who has become the poster girl for pro-choice- is just a sad and tragic exercise.

Whilst I agree that it is a medical issue, it has also brought up again a huge moral and ethical issue that has been dragged out since the X-Case. Its also very sad that it has taken the death of a none national for it to be brought to the attention of some. As for the Labour represetitives, some of our local Labour councilors have already made their voices heard on this.

I do'nt think India or any other nation should have any interference in the legislation of Ireland.
    India has a pretty poor health record of it's own to sort out.
    This sad case, as already outlined by others, appears more a medical negligence issue.
    We must wait for all inquiry findings before passing judgement on what, if anything, needs changing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I do'nt think India or any other nation should have any interference in the legislation of Ireland.
    India has a pretty poor health record of it's own to sort out.
    This sad case, as already outlined by others, appears more a medical negligence issue.
    We must wait for all inquiry findings before passing judgement on what, if anything, needs changing.
    On nation already does. Its called The Vatican

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Actually, not being pedantic, but 'on nation' is a city and principality!

Actually, not being pedantic, but 'on nation' is a city and principality!
    Not being pedantic but regardless of what goal posts get moved as the international status of that place they have no more right to meddle in the running of a secular state than India.
    Not being pedantic perhaps but being a grammar nazi!
    I meant 'one nation' You win the internet!

The vigil is being held in respect and rememberance of Savita Halappanavar's life and to create awareness surrounding the lack of legislation in regard to abortion in this country..

Ah! So it's about anti-catholicism rather in rememberance of this unfortunate lady.
    Remember the majority of people in this country are Roman Catholics, and if their vote in a democratic referendum is decided by the teachings of that church, then they're entitled to that. It's called democracy.
    Same as Hindu's etc. would vote according to their teachings, and are equally entitled to.

You get from this.......
    Ah! So it's about anti-catholicism rather in rememberance of this unfortunate lady.
    Remember the majority of people in this country are Roman Catholics, and if their vote in a democratic referendum is decided by the teachings of that church, then they're entitled to that. It's called democracy.
    Same as Hindu's etc. would vote according to their teachings, and are equally entitled to.
    to this????
    Thats a leap!
    You also have a poor understanding of how democracy in an officially secular country should operate.
    Can you explain to me exactly how the post in question is anti catholic?

Your own quote answers your question!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Wait! What?

How is raising awareness on the issue suddenly anti catholic??

Catholic or not the law is very shady. Ireland has also changed a lot since the last referendum on abortion and I feel it should be put to the people to vote on again.

The poor woman suffered needlessly for days before she died. It's a disgrace and does nothing for the image of Ireland abroad.

Your own quote answers your question!
    I didnt ask a question

You get from this.......

to this????
    Thats a leap!
    You also have a poor understanding of how democracy in an officially secular country should operate.
    Can you explain to me exactly how the post in question is anti catholic?
    I think thats a question!

where is the argument here,a woman died because of bad legislation...we need to relegislate so no more womens lifes are lost..its that simple ..surely as humanbeings we can agree on this

• Advertisement

I think thats a question!
    See. Its easier when you use the quote function correctly.
    So a post demanding that a Govt enact, after 20 years, legistlation advised by a supreme court is anti catholic because The Vatican State feels that, like India it can meddle in a secular states affairs.
    Please explain:confused:

where is the argument here,a woman died because of bad legislation...we need to relegislate so no more womens lifes are lost..its that simple ..surely as humanbeings we can agree on this
    Apparently its anti catholic

Red sean:
    See the bit in bold?
    can you explain to me, without reference to anything outside of the post, exactly how it suggests that the vigil will be anti catholic?

maybe a bit of humour is in order http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk part 2 http://www.anyclip.com/movies/the-meaning-of-life/every-sperm-is-sacred-the-protestant/#!music/ and how ever you percieve this to be,no anti catholic sentiment is meant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Red sean:
    See the bit in bold?
    can you explain to me, without reference to anything outside of the post, exactly how it suggests that the vigil will be anti catholic?
    (1) Special pleading
    (2) If youre not wid us youre agin' us....

Ghostbuster,
    The Vatican did not meddle in our legislation. The members of Christian church whose HQ is the Vatican voted, probably according to their religious beliefs, which they're entitled to.

Wizardmorgan,
    For starters at the moment we do not know the exact circumstances of this lady's unfortunate death. We are depending on the media and her families responses. We should wait for the full details before getting involved and blaming anyone or anything.
    Too many bandwagon jumpers with their own agendas tend to hijack moments like this.

Red sean:
    See the bit in bold?
    Ghostbuster,
    The Vatican did not meddle in our legislation. The members of Christian church whose HQ is the Vatican voted, probably according to their religious beliefs, which they're entitled to.

Wizardmorgan,
    For starters at the moment we do not know the exact circumstances of this lady's unfortunate death. We are depending on the media and her families responses. We should wait for the full details before getting involved and blaming anyone or anything.
    Too many bandwagon jumpers with their own agendas tend to hijack moments like this.
    I also an interested in how the post in bold is anti catholic. Your reply did not address it.
    Any chance?

Quite some time later.........

I guess not

The post in bold which was posted by Wizardmorgan was to highlight what that poster said was the main reason for this gathering.

This post by Ghostbuster puts a different slant on it:

The post in bold which was posted by Wizardmorgan was to highlight what that poster said was the main reason for this gathering.

This post by Ghostbuster puts a different slant on it:
    No no no. Nice try but no. Ghost Busters post is aside from Wizardmorgans. You refered directly to Wizardmorgans post as evidence that the vigil is anti catholic
    WHAT IN WIZARDMORGANS POST IS ANTI CATHOLIC??????

• Advertisement

If I made a mistake then I made a mistake! No need to shout!
    Internet etiquette etc.
    If you read the whole thread you'll see where I stand on this.
    Until we have full facts there is no need for all this so-called concern.
    If it was medical negligence then no leglislation would prevent the terrible event.
    But we need to wait and see if that was the case.

And as far as India demanding our laws be changed, the term people in glasshouses etc. springs to mind.
    They're record on health, workers entitlements, general human rights etc. leave a lot be desired.
    How many Savitas die there every day of the week from easily cured ailments?

Advertisement