Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VIGIL FOR SAVITA - SLIGO SAT 17th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

a woman died because of bad legislation...

Which the people of Ireland voted for. Now everyone is up in arms about it. What is it with this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Maybe The Hindu as linked in post #9 would be better addressing itself to this link from Human Rights Watch:
    http://www.hrw.org/news/2012/07/12/india-target-driven-sterilization-harming-women

And how any Indian Govt. Minister can "demand" we change our laws is beyond me!

All this public grief is fine and I'm sure well intended by most, but is totally unnecessary for any reason other than making someone feel good about themselves after. Or for bandwagon jumping!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭warriorpoet

Have to say I'm a bit sad reading the thread...... hard to believe how people can be so totally opposed to each others views in the complete absence of any facts. It seems a bit like people are forgetting the tragedy of this young woman's death..

I'm not criticizing any of the posts as such (tho some seem a bit extreme!), but it just seems all a bit... disrespectful or something?

For what it's worth, it seems to me to be unhelpful and too soon to start blaming anyone for Savita's death, and quite distasteful that any attempt might be made to use it to support any cause, be that either "pro-life" or "pro-choice"........

I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭warriorpoet

where is the argument here,a woman died because of bad legislation...we need to relegislate so no more womens lifes are lost..its that simple ..surely as humanbeings we can agree on this

I agree that we have to legislate.... that has already been established by the original X case ruling by our courts, and legislation should follow...

HOWEVER.... it is a bit of a leap to suggest that Savita "died because of bad legislation.." Truth is, neither you, nor I nor anybody else knows at the moment why she died, and whether the legislation that has been so long delayed would have changed the medical intervention, treatment, and outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭blackiebest1

What is clear to me is that this lady should be alive and working as a dentist. Granted this is based on what the media have been reported. It is shocking that this could occur in Ireland in 2012. It makes me ashamed and I have been afraid to think out my reaction if it were my wife.

I hope to be outside the post office tomorrow, with my wife and daughter, candle in hand to lament this terrible shameful death of a stunning young woman.

My mind boggles at the inability of so many to see the true tragedy in all of this, the reinforcement of a twisted belief that Ireland is a stagnant inward thinking place with stunted people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Grief junkies get a day out.

I'm going to have to warn you against any further posting of this nature. Extremely disrespectful comment to make in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭blackiebest1

Will sadly be unable to attend the vigil due to work commitments! I will be there in spirit though, today I will paddle the beautiful Lough Gill and remember Savita as we go!

I pray that when my daughter turns 18 in 10 years from now that she will live under a political system which we as a society can be proud of. Today I feel that we are much further away from 'civilized' than I would like!

Shame on Éire to allow circumstances exist that result in a the needless death of a talented young woman with her whole life ahead of her!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Will sadly be unable to attend the vigil due to work commitments! I will be there in spirit though, today I will paddle the beautiful Lough Gill and remember Savita as we go!

I pray that when my daughter turns 18 in 10 years from now that she will live under a political system which we as a society can be proud of. Today I feel that we are much further away from 'civilized' than I would like!

Shame on Éire to allow circumstances exist that result in a the needless death of a talented young woman with her whole life ahead of her!

Wow - Shame on Eire etc! That sense of national inferiority must be a heavy burden to bear!

Paragon India - that allows on demand abortion if the fetus is handicapped in any way or if the girl is indeed under 18 years.

With 11 million abortions a year, its wonderful caste system, dire poverty and its nuclear arsenal - India has a shameful disregard for human life.

There are many wonderful things about India and its culture, however, its abortion regime is hardly any to aspire to.

We have many things to be embarrassed about in this State - but this vigil is just another one to add to the list. In the main these vigils are organised by people involved in organisations like Marie Stopes and the like etc, etc.

This is not a vigil in memory of someone you simply didn't know - its a pro-choice lobby grouping seeking to liberalise Irish abortion laws - shame on you, what callousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Shame on Éire

Classic "Paddy Irish man" reaction ...shame on us all for everything!

Perhaps you could walk barefoot up a mountain for all our sins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I'm going to have to warn you against any further posting of this nature. Extremely disrespectful comment to make in this context.

Disrespectful to whom or to what? Your sensitivities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Disrespectful to whom or to what? Your sensitivities?

Now, now - be careful. Subjective sensitivities, rational and/or irrational must always be respected, and placed on a higher value plane, so to ensure sane thoughts and views that subjectively unpalatable can never be aired;) A half page photograph by Irish Times page 1 is a more measured approach.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wizardmorgan

this vigil was not organised by people that have anything to do with maire stopes,and have not bee paid by any government agency..this vigil was for savita,some members of the indian community came this evening one man in particular from india, spoke of savita he knew her personally, was a friend of the family,and was in the hospital when she died,he thanked us personally for organising this vigil for savita

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

We all know India has a dire human rights record but its not about India, its about the Ireland and the lack of human rights shown to this woman, where it should be different.

This woman was denied a procedure that may have saved her life because of what i see as a backward law.

Personally i dont see the shame in pro choice lobbists using this to highlight the need to change the system. Its the perfect example of a woman not having the choice in what happens to her. It wouldnt have affacted you or anyone else in the slightest but a woman might be alive and husband might have his wife again.

A vigil to either remember the woman or highlight the need for change is not an embarrasment.

Advertisement