Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on developing an app

Options
  • 16-11-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I have an idea for an app. The company is set up, I've got some wireframes done and the market research and business plan is most of the way there.

It would involve use of the Google Maps API and GPS to track the location of drivers in real time. These locations would need to be updated in a database. I would need a basic website, an android phone app and most likely an android tablet app.

I have a small bit of coding experience and was able to use the android sdk in eclipse to get google maps working in a very basic app. I also know some basic html/css/javascript/sql. I don't have the skills to develop this project but I think I can be of assistance to the developer.

So first of all, I know it's a very general description, but how hard do you think this kind of app would be to develop? And how long would it take?

Where would I look for a developer?

I don't really have any money to pay the developer, so I'd be looking to get someone who buys into the idea and offer a share of the company. Is that realistic to get someone who would work without upfront pay?

Thanks! (I'm based in Dublin btw)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Here or on the Development board isn't a bad place to look, but a quick Google will throw up a lot of other places where you might find other Android developers.

As to what kind of deal to offer, there are three basic models:
    • Pure Sweat Equity. They get X% of the company in return for their labour. If X is low, then you need to make it more attractive, such as linking the percentage to a finite number of hours worked. If high enough that they're either equal, almost equal or even majority stakeholders, then equity alone should suffice.
    • Paid For Work. Hourly rate, no equity.
    • Hybrid Package. This is where they get X% of the company in return for their labour, plus a reduced hourly rate. This option can be useful if the developer isn't completely convinced that you're proposing the next Facebook (i.e. 99.95% of the time) and/or cannot financially afford to invest the time (i.e. tomorrows equity does not pay today's bills).
    As to other observations, you need to show how whatever you're proposing will be a commercial success. It's good that you've done market research and a business plan (almost), but it is very important that whomever reads it will see light at the end of the tunnel financially.

Also, you need to define your future role (which you may have done, but haven't expressed here). Other than the initial idea and research, what value do you bring to the company? Finance, business contacts, expert knowledge? Few people want to get into a venture where they're doing all the heavy lifting and are carrying a dead weight, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I don't really have any money to pay the developer, so I'd be looking to get someone who buys into the idea and offer a share of the company. Is that realistic to get someone who would work without upfront pay?

Thanks! (I'm based in Dublin btw)

To be blunt the answer is no. However you might get a bright eyed student that was willing... but like everything you get what you pay for.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    To be blunt the answer is no.
    I wouldn't be completely dismissive. If I came across a really good potential venture, felt my potential business partner wasn't just dead weight with an 'idea' and could afford the time to do so I might well roll the dice.

In reality though, I'd generally agree with you because it is rare that you'll find something you're willing to take the risk on investing what could well become thousands of working hours. Most of the time, the idea is at best 'good', the potential business partner serves little purpose (but still believes they should hold the majority share for some odd reason) and there are far better investments out there for your time.
    However you might get a bright eyed student that was willing... but like everything you get what you pay for.
    Yes and yes.

But you raise an interesting point about this sort of thing. You do get what you pay for, and many would-be principles don't seem to understand what a realistic price is.

In this regard, get a professional quote for the development as it will give you a starting point for the financial value of what your potential partner is bringing to the venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Inscrutable

ChRoMe wrote: »
    To be blunt the answer is no. However you might get a bright eyed student that was willing... but like everything you get what you pay for.

I wouldn't mind someone like that, although I'm aware talented students have their pick of well paying jobs.

Would I approach the students through a university? I was half thinking that Web Elevate scheme might have some willing people although I'm not too sure what their skill level would be.

http://www.digitalskillsacademy.com/courses/webelevate/

In this regard, get a professional quote for the development as it will give you a starting point for the financial value of what your potential partner is bringing to the venture.

That's a good suggestion. Will they give me a quote for free...... and do they mind signing NDAs?!

• Advertisement

Would I approach the students through a university?
    Fora like this are probably your best bet. Approaching a college to find what is essentially naieve students sounds a bit too Jimmy Savile to me, TBH.
    That's a good suggestion. Will they give me a quote for free...... and do they mind signing NDAs?!
    NDA's should not be an issue as they're commonplace, especially when dealing with start-ups. Any professional should give a rough estimate, although how much effort they'll put in and how accurate it is will naturally vary...

...unless they correctly guess that you're just tyre-kicking and there's no hope of any business in it for them - no professional outfit reading this thread will likely touch you now, for example.

no professional outfit reading this thread will likely touch you now, for example.

:) oh well!

Advertisement