Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clothes for graduation

• 16-11-2012 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

At graduations ceremonies, do have to wear a dress?

Every picture I see of a woman is wearing a dress. I can see the legs so no pants.

My graduation is next week and im stuck. Im not comfortable in a dress. But don't want to be the odd one out either. That and if I buy a dress, I need shoes to go with it, tights, a top or jacket of some sort and a bag. And I dont have that kind of money.

So what do I do. Am I the only one or what has others worn on the day.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

My graduation is next week and im stuck. Im not comfortable in a dress. But don't want to be the odd one out either. That and if I buy a dress, I need shoes to go with it, tights, a top or jacket of some sort and a bag. And I dont have that kind of money. So what do I do. Am I the only one or what has others worn on the day.

Uh, would you not also need shoes, a top and a bag to wear with trousers too?
    Personally, I find a dress much easier to style than sourcing a multitude of things to suit trousers.

The majority of women do tend to wear dresses at graduation but at the end of the day, wear whatever you're comfortable in. You're going to be looking back on these photos in years to come so make sure you choose what's right for you as opposed to what you think you should wear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I've got the trousers, I bought a new pair of shoes a few weeks ago, and there's pockets in the pants. So it just leaves me with a top to buy. So I think its easier and cheaper to wear pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

I wore trousers to my graduation! It's more unusual, but there is definitely no wrong in doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Actually, now that I think of it, so did my sister. At her graduation, there were quite a few women wearing trousers. I think the main reason that we wore them is because we prefer trousers to dresses generally, and we had smart trousers already, so were happy to wear them.
    Wear yours if you want, the awarding body won't throw you out for it! You're still going to look smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wore trousers, I think most of the girls there were in trousers. Go with what you feel most happy and comfortable in.

And congrats on graduating by the way :D Enjoy it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I've got the trousers, I bought a new pair of shoes a few weeks ago, and there's pockets in the pants. So it just leaves me with a top to buy. So I think its easier and cheaper to wear pants.

Wear the trousers if you're comfortable in them. No point wearing a dress just to fit in but feel awful in it all day long.

Please please please don't put anything into the pockets of your trousers though. It will ruin the line and shape of them and they will not look or sit right and they may well be pulled out of shape on a permanent basis.
    Use a bag you already have or ask someone who is going with you to mind your stuff whatever that may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Penney's have some really nice printed trousers at the moment - I got a grey pair with black polka dots. They are ankle lenght so if you wear them with a pair of heels could look really dressy - as long as you go for a slim fit and not a baggy flarey pair they will look dressy under your robe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

I wore trousers to mine - im not sure why but in my head I thought that you should wear all black to a graduation - no idea where i got that idea.

I did feel comfortable on the day and was glad I'd worn trousers, didn't own many dresses back then and def at the time.

You are best to wear whatever you are most confortable in. You will be wearing the gown over it anyway so it wont be on show too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

My housemate wore hotpants to her graduation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

More suited to here

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭xtinataguba

dress is much more easier to match. but if your not comfortable wearing it, you can try wearing black slacks, high heels and on your top you can wear anything black goes in any kind and color of blouses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Wear whatever you are comfortable in - just make it look smart. Remember that the robe will cover a lot so make the portion of your outfit that is visible will look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

eviltwin wrote: »
    I wore trousers, I think most of the girls there were in trousers. Go with what you feel most happy and comfortable in.

And congrats on graduating by the way :D Enjoy it :)

I wore dark trousers to my last one too. Dressed them up with a red jacket which looked great under the black robe.

Advertisement