Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 800 - Vodafone PAYG - 169.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

quattro777 wrote: »
    Which is better, this or the HTC Desire X?

The 149.99 lumina 800 on meteor is the best deal right now. I'd buy before they sell out because they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The 149.99 lumina 800 on meteor is the best deal right now. I'd buy before they sell out because they will.

I hate you....I just bought new phone.....and a razor...and a hard drive:D

disclaimer
    No monkeys have been hurt in the posting of this post:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's not a bargain if you buy them all ; )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

54kroc wrote: »
    trust me the 610 is a piece of ****e.

Great review, really great. What is so ***e in 610 and is not in 800?
    I see memory difference but as WinPhone is not for apps collector this shouldn't be a problem (lack of card extension in all WinPhone7.5 is not). Faster processor and GPU - no problem as WinPhone is very fast anyway. 610 is thicker - that's true - so if thickness is important to you, go for 50% more expensive 800. Anything else? Did I forget about something?

Its bad idea (?) go into WinPhone 7.5 now. You might give a try to any new WinPhone 8 mobiles as Microsoft Market support will follow for next 2-3 years. Then next WinPhone 9 will approach and new phones. And then...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

zom wrote: »
    Great review, really great. What is so ***e in 610 and is not in 800?
    I see memory difference but as WinPhone is not for apps collector this shouldn't be a problem (lack of card extension in all WinPhone7.5 is not). Faster processor and GPU - no problem as WinPhone is very fast anyway. 610 is thicker - that's true - so if thickness is important to you, go for 50% more expensive 800. Anything else? Did I forget about something?

Its bad idea (?) go into WinPhone 7.5 now. You might give a try to any new WinPhone 8 mobiles as Microsoft Market support will follow for next 2-3 years. Then next WinPhone 9 will approach and new phones. And then...

Is English your native tongue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Man, you keep making this point, and it doesn't make sense. The 800 is a steal at this price. Who cares if you don't get 8! And you'll still get at least one major update to 7.8 in the near future. It's a no brainer...as I said to you already, the cheapest Windows 8 devices are twice the price as far as I have seen, so it's not comparing like with like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Actually I think buying it on eMobile would probably be better as they give a better deal on PrePay.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jonny Drama

I'm thinking of getting this phone but the reviews on vodafone.ie aren't great so now I'm in limbo, it's either this or the HTC Desire X.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Actually I think buying it on eMobile would probably be better as they give a better deal on PrePay.

Really? I thought Meteors was better.. for 20 euro you'd get free any network texts, 1gb data and 200 minutes to any network compared to eMobiles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I see memory difference but as WinPhone is not for apps collector this shouldn't be a problem (lack of card extension in all WinPhone7.5 is not). Faster processor and GPU - no problem as WinPhone is very fast anyway. 610 is thicker - that's true - so if thickness is important to you, go for 50% more expensive 800. Anything else? Did I forget about something?....

Well its half the speed, half the ram, half the storage, worse camera, worse screen, worse battery, worse video. So the 800 is definately worth the extra. But the 610 is a decent low end phone if you can buy it cheap enough.

Tinie wrote: »
    Is English your native tongue?

At least I'm not from Moldova.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

you do know windows 7.5 phones will be getting a 7.8 update soon right?...

Digitalism wrote: »
    you do know windows 7.5 phones will be getting a 7.8 update soon right?...

Not all of them (probably LG will not) and this will be probably last update for these phones. What I don't like is idea of excluding old phones from new systems/updates. Microsoft explains that new phones will get higher specification which is not true - they just push people to buy new devices. You can run Win8 on 2005' PC with no problem (it's just a bit slow) but you can't run WinPhone8 on phone you buy today??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Even on android a lot of single core mobile phones give a subpar experience on 4.0. You really need a dual core to get a decent experience. If you don't you might be better sticking to 2.3.x

I expect its much the same with WP8.

Unusually they reckon IOS6 is much better then IOS5 on the 3GS and the older phones. But its hit and miss I know some earlier IOS updates killed the performance on old iPod Touches we had.

The issue really is the Phone networks. They are still selling older android (and other) devices that they know will never get an update. The spend ages locking down a phone, then realise it with an ancient firmware. My E71 never got an official update from O2. I had to hack it to get the Nokia updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭stocktrader

bought this lumia today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

[mod edit]Stop trolling RandolphEsq

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

I already have a prepay vodafone so wondering if I go into 3 get a free sim with new number then pop down to vodafone shop and switch over to get this phone would that work out? I'd get the phone for 129 with fatcheese offer above and then get 120 free credit for switching number over from other network. The net result would be the phone would cost me a tenner?

Is there anything which prevents you transferring over a number you've only had for a short period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

sonandheir wrote: »
    I already have a prepay vodafone so wondering if I go into 3 get a free sim with new number then pop down to vodafone shop and switch over to get this phone would that work out? I'd get the phone for 129 with fatcheese offer above and then get 120 free credit for switching number over from other network. The net result would be the phone would cost me a tenner?

Is there anything which prevents you transferring over a number you've only had for a short period?

Do they not require you to have had the original sim for a period of time? Like 6 months or something? Not too sure about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

bought this lumia today

first impressions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

sonandheir wrote: »

Don't know about period of time, but in terms of spend I had no problem moving across a Three sim that I only bought to get Samsung Europa a few months ago and never put more than a fiver credit into it. Hopefully will finally get delivery of phone tomorrow! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If vodafone sold the lumia 710 they would of completely sown up the christmas market.

Dont understand why they never stocked it , i got one sim free during the summer for €200 and its an excellent piece of hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

Has anyone been able to unlock this phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Technique wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to unlock this phone?

There are 3 options: spending 120 euro on PAYG, 2 settled bills on BillPay or 40-60 euro online (shared links in a previous post).

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rock2009

soirish wrote: »
    There are 3 options: spending 120 euro on PAYG, 2 settled bills on BillPay or 40-60 euro online (shared links in a previous post).

Or as I mentioned on the title, when you top up by 129 euro in the past 6 months, you should be able to get NAC code from vodafone for free to get your phone unlocked. but this Lumia 800 is bit different to other Nokia phone, so I'm just wondering if anyone ever obtained the code and unlock this phone?

I ordered fro meteor Sunday and still waiting for delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Just got mine today, Very please with this phone. Bigger than I thought but it's a bit on the heavy side. Nokia Music is a great little app.
    All in all happy with the Windows OS so far.

Tried to order it through Fatcheese.ie along with porting over - ERROR!!! is what it says when processing. Then I tried to buy it off the vodafone.ie site and what do ya know, it works no problem!!

Why do VF say they sell through fatcheese but clearly they don't!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I bought this 2 days ago from the Vodafone shop on Grafton Street. So far I feel it is a brilliant phone. Slick design, high quality camera and screen, great sound, easily connects to wi-fi and internet pages and videos loads quickly, great for social networking, 14gb memory, Microsoft Office, no lag whatsoever with apps and extremely easy to use. Definitely a great buy at €169.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Does this phone use a micro sim?

mad m wrote: »
    Does this phone use a micro sim?

yes.

• Advertisement

Tried to order it through Fatcheese.ie along with porting over - ERROR!!! is what it says when processing. Then I tried to buy it off the vodafone.ie site and what do ya know, it works no problem!!

Why do VF say they sell through fatcheese but clearly they don't!!
    I defo ordered Friday night via fatcheese and no problem at all plus got an email from them nearly right away to confirm € 20 pending to me.

g0g wrote: »
    I defo ordered Friday night via fatcheese and no problem at all plus got an email from them nearly right away to confirm € 20 pending to me.

Strange why it wouldn't work for me so! I thought that with the initial 20euro off from VF for porting over that they felt that was enough and they wouldn't allow another 20euro off through fatcheese..

I've tried it again since and no luck, but as soon as I do it through vf it works no bother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Quick question .
    If you order this phone on pre pay, will they send out a microsim with your phone number on it .

Or do you recieve the phone and have to go to a vodafone store to get the micro sim ?

I was going to get it as present for the GF but will obviously have to make sure the sim is sorted before christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Quick question .
    If you order this phone on pre pay, will they send out a microsim with your phone number on it .

Or do you recieve the phone and have to go to a vodafone store to get the micro sim ?

I was going to get it as present for the GF but will obviously have to make sure the sim is sorted before christmas

Yeah this would be hand to know as was going to get one as present as well. Only just after finding out that it uses a micro-sim (thanks to Jonny Drama).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

I rang Vodafone and they told me the phone takes a standard sim, I haven't ported over my number and have a standard sim with my number on it - will Vodafone swop a standard sim for a micro sim ?

Quick question .

They'll only send you out a sim if you are looking for a new number. If I was you I'd order the phone, then go to vodafone or whoever your phone provider is on their boards page, ask the guys there for a micro sim to be sent out to you, pretend you are your girlfriend, they'll only ask for you to send a private message with her name, phone number, DOB and address. Then when they send the sim out to you just hold onto it til xmas day..

caycro wrote: »
    I rang Vodafone and they told me the phone takes a standard sim, I haven't ported over my number and have a standard sim with my number on it - will Vodafone swop a standard sim for a micro sim ?

Just googled the phone there now and accoriding to the nokia user-guide it uses a micro-sim so strange that vodafone giving other information.

http://www.nokia.com/ie-en/support/product/lumia800/userguide/?action=onlineuserguidepagechange&pFile=GUID-ECCAB275-CDDC-4651-9827-56F51D13CE41_FILE001.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bajer100

Definitely micro-sim. I picked one up from a meteor store at the weekend and they cut my existing sim to micro-sim size. Great phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

It's a micro sim. If you bring in you mini sim (standard size) they'll replace it for micro.

• Advertisement

Definitely microsim and vodafone included one in the pack I received today without me asking for it. This was for porting from Three.

my phone has shipped.:D

Made up my mind and bought one as a present a few moment ago.

Thanks/Damn you OP :D

Just bought one of these bad boys! Finally got fatcheese to work so hopefully that's 40euro off becasue I "ported" over as well..... I just hope I like it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Looks tempting. Wouldn't need the apps because of the Nexus 7. To be honest, it can't be worse than my Xperia Play, hopefully better.

caycro wrote: »

I asked over on the Vodafone forum and got following reply
    Vodafone wrote:
    They will give you a blank sim card with it and all you need to do is call us up and we will activate it over the phone

Now just hope they answer there phone on Christmas day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Here we go with most up-to-date pricing across all operators:

Meteor 150 euro link
    eMobile 150 euro link
    Vodafone 170 euro link
    O2 180 euro link
    3 440 euro link

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭stocktrader

I bought this phone for a friend and to switch the existing number over to vodafone. she doesnt want the phone now and doesnt want to switch networks. can she stop the porting of the number?

I bought this phone for a friend and to switch the existing number over to vodafone. she doesnt want the phone now and doesnt want to switch networks. can she stop the porting of the number?

That's an ungrateful friend.

You would be best to ask here though.

Got the phone on Friday, great bit of kit.. Well worth the money as far as I can see, even though I've probably only flicked through about 5% yet of what the phone can actually do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I got it for €129.99. I saved €20 for porting my number over and another €20 for going through Fatcheese.

• Advertisement
Advertisement