Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle after miscarriage?

Options
  • 16-11-2012 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I miscarried last month at 5-6 weeks :( It was terrible, especially since we have been TTC for over a year but thankfully it was relatively painless (physically) and I didn't need a D+C. My doctor told me that because it was an early and uncomplicated m/c, we could start trying again immediately (which we did). I presumes that everything would go back to my normal cycle of 32 days straight away. However, 30 days after my m/c started, I began to bleed a lot heavier than my normal flow would be. I also had very painful cramps. I wasn't too concerned as I had heard that the first period after m/c can be particularly heavy and painful. But then, 2 days after the bleeding started, it just stopped suddenly :confused: My usual period lasts 5-7 days. Should I count this as my period? I know I definitely ovulated 2 weeks before it started. Has anyone else experienced anything like this after m/c? I would have expected the bleeding to last a bit longer, especially since it stopped out of nowhere in the middle of heavy flow :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sorry about your loss. I would think you can take that to be your cycle starting especially if you know you ovulated. I asked in the hospital about trying for another pregnancy and they said they recommend letting yourself recover for the length of the pregnancy you just lost. So for a 3 month miscarriage, wait 3 cycles, etc. they told me my periods would be heavier and different to normal for a few cycles.

My own has gone the complete opposite to yours, incomplete miscarriage. Will probably need a ERPC, am still bleeding two weeks later, and it is very painful.

I am a bit worried about the surgical procedure, they said there was risk to the uterus during it, which makes me think future pregnancies would be affected. I only know of one person who had the D&C and she had 2 further miscarriages afterwards, and bled the entire way through one full term pregnancy after that. There are probably loads of other people I know who have had them, but have never mentioned it.

No-one seems to talk about these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

Hi girls,

Sorry about your losses xx

I had a MC 4 weeks ago, i was 8+5 gone.
    My period just started this morning... Very heavy and dull cramps at the minute....

How are you both feeling now? Pwurple, how was the procedure? hope it wasnt too bad xx

I was told to take agnus castus to increase my chance of fertility so I have started that and I am going to start taking the folic acid again...

We have decided to wait til end of January to try again...

i agree with you pwurple noone really mentions anything about it all...

I had some very heavy bleeding 2 days before the ERPC was scheduled, so they did another scan, and said the 'products of conception' were gone, my cervix had closed, and it was just lining left so they cancelled the ERPC. I guess the products of conception was the baby? Anyway, that horrible thought aside, happy not to have had the general anesthetic. However, here I am 8 or 9 weeks later, still bleeding constantly like a normal period, and getting the odd pain, but they are not as bad or often anymore. Also got all the normal post pregnancy stuff which I was not expecting. Boobs leaking, hair loss, moods gone a bit loopy. I asked my gp about it, and she said if I am still bleeding after 12 weeks I should go back for another scan. I am drained from it, physically and emotionally. At the moment I am dreading trying to conceive at all in case this all happens again. Husband is asking me every day when we can start trying again.

I took agnus castus before and it completely messed me up, had three days between periods for a while with it. Definetly didn't suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi. I wonder could I weigh in on this thread with a query.

I had a miscarriage the week starting Nov 26 and evacuated the embryo on Nov 28. I bled from the 26th til the 31st. I did not need a D&C.

I was 6 weeks pregnant and did not know, and had been taking the pill. I am still on the pill, and in fact started a second pack this week as (given how bad the miscarriage was) I wanted to delay my period.

However it is almost one month on and I still have brown discharge. There is no odour or temperature, which I know are indicators of infection.

I plan to go back to my GP when she returns from Christmas hols.

I just wanted to ask if this is typical and if other women here who have miscarried have gone through the same thing. I would really, really appreciate some input. The whole thing has been a nightmare and I have nobody to ask.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

Heya.... Hope you had a peaceful Christmas xx

How are you feeling now??

My period lasted 5 days, I still have fatigue and am on a tonic.
    I'm like you.... Terrified in case it happens again.

I really hope this will get sorted out soon enough for you xx

• Advertisement

I'm still in the same situation, unending period, no change, week 10. Pains have totally stopped though. My local shop must think I am storing sanitary pads for the apocalypse or something,I am buying them every second day.

Guest poster, sorry to hear what you are going through. Around the 3rd or 4th week it was brown for me too. Mine changed back to red again after a week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

It took me a good 8 weeks to get over the tiredness and initial sadness. Thakfully feeling like my old self again now :) We're trying again so fingers crossed, although my periods are still very short and light :confused: Hope you guys are feeling better, it's a very tough and isolating thing to go through x

Advertisement