Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural Robberies!

Options
  • 16-11-2012 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Just been speaking with my mother in Sligo and she was telling me that there has been alot of robberies lately in the Castleconnor/Easkey/Dromore West areas the past 2 weeks.

These guys are obviously watching peoples houses, watching their comings and goings so would be advisable to up security if you live in a rural area.

No harm double checking that your doors/windows are locked, no keys left in doors at night, cars locked before dusk, and don't keep cash in your house!

And make sure your house is insured for contents, just in case.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Just to add that Calry got hit too in that time frame. Seems to be houses lying on a main road that are getting the brunt of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Just to add that Calry got hit too in that time frame. Seems to be houses lying on a main road that are getting the brunt of it.

Funny you should say that, I live near there and last week, and just yesterday we had a courier van call to the door, one ring of the doorbell/not long enough for whoever was at home to answer, but they left no card. We're not expecting anything via courier and its a week between these two calls. One of them was a nightline van, so I rang up nightline sligo depo in the afternoon, and the guy who does my area said he'd not been out my way nor knew of any parcels waiting for me.... don't know whether to be confused or suspicious.

Funny you should say that, I live near there and last week, and just yesterday we had a courier van call to the door, one ring of the doorbell/not long enough for whoever was at home to answer, but they left no card. We're not expecting anything via courier and its a week between these two calls. One of them was a nightline van, so I rang up nightline sligo depo in the afternoon, and the guy who does my area said he'd not been out my way nor knew of any parcels waiting for me.... don't know whether to be confused or suspicious.

Scratch that! My paranoia, the man rang back today and they kept calling to the wrong house, maybe looking for directions. The joy of no postcodes to refer to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Was just about to say it was possibly that very reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'd gladly invite some scumbags to pay me a visit. If they can manage to get past the strong locks on my gate and make it down my driveway. They will be very warmly welcomed by my pack of very large German Shepherds. Who would only be too delighted to rip them a new arséhole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

These thugs are also well aware of the lack or Garda presence in that area, all they have to do is to send the Gardai on a wild goose chase while they scour the area looking for soft targets. Oil tanks and jewellery I believe is what they target, Cash for Gold shops must be cleaning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

I think at this stage everyone in Ireland knows someone that has been burgled recently, I think that if the government/gardai don't address it seriously and soon other people out there might.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

I'd gladly invite some scumbags to pay me a visit. If they can manage to get past the strong locks on my gate and make it down my driveway. They will be very warmly welcomed by my pack of very large German Shepherds. Who would only be too delighted to rip them a new arséhole.
    good luck there, i know a lad (north sligo) who had one door properly alarmed the other extremily well bolted (from inside i think too) plus a bear trap inside it and they still got in for a few grands worth of equipment and didnt set of the alarm or bear trap:(

overshoot wrote: »
    good luck there, i know a lad (north sligo) who had one door properly alarmed the other extremily well bolted (from inside i think too) plus a bear trap inside it and they still got in for a few grands worth of equipment and didnt set of the alarm or bear trap:(

I think you missed this bit....
    They will be very warmly welcomed by my pack of very large German Shepherds. Who would only be too delighted to rip them a new arséhole.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

add Ballintogher to the list... from what i hear in broad daylight as well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭blackiebest1

Ballintogher has been hit at least three times in the last couple of weeks and yes in daylight in village center! MAd. Bastards did my Aunt in Ballaghaderren last Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

these robberies are taking place by either locals or with the aid of local scumbags,ive herd of a few cases and the finger has to point to local knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Some of the robberies I heard about were down lanes/small roads.

Also one of the houses had their copper water tank and pipes ripped out! woman came back after school run/shops to find the place flooded!

These guys are on the loof out, watching people heading to mass etc and know they won't be back for 20/30 mins at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Well at least the Gardai may have a lead now:

http://www.oceanfm.ie/sp/article_manager/detail/gardai_investigate_burglaries_in_west_sligo
    Gardai are looking for information on a silver-coloured car, seen in the area at the time, between 6.15pm and 7.30pm, which may have been travelling from the Ballina direction.

It is possibly a Honda or Mazda make-car, with the numbers, 07 MO on the number plate.

As sligono1 said, somebody is likely tipping them off on who to strike and when. Hopefully they will break into a house with a security camera, even a rudimentary webcam based system would do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Well at least the Gardai may have a lead now:

http://www.oceanfm.ie/sp/article_manager/detail/gardai_investigate_burglaries_in_west_sligo
    Gardai are looking for information on a silver-coloured car, seen in the area at the time, between 6.15pm and 7.30pm, which may have been travelling from the Ballina direction.

It is possibly a Honda or Mazda make-car, with the numbers, 07 MO on the number plate. .

As sligono1 said, somebody is likely tipping them off on who to strike and when. Hopefully they will break into a house with a security camera, even a rudimentary webcam based system would do the trick.

"Travelling", eh? My gran lives near Ballaghadereen. Afraid to leave the house, what with anything that's not nailed down going missing (and some things that are), gates, gnomes FFS :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭irbx

My family live in the area and a house down the road was robbed and 3 nights later it was robbed again!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

House robbed at Lough Conn,south of Ballina,last night .....second time in a couple of weeks.

1st time - owners away for few days [large gas bottle]

This time- owners sleeping [small gas bottle, heating oil + THE OIL BURNER!]

Tonight,the poor woman, and her disabled mother who she cares for fulltime, are sitting scared in a cold house........at least there's nothing left to rob .......unless they want the gravel from the drive.

I hope that these rodent-like scumbags be sucessfully eradicated soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Lets face it. Its the minkers. Dirty shower of gips.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Lets call a spade a spade, it is the Minks, round punting blocks to spec places out, and knowing what time people are out and then striking.

Lets face it. Its the minkers. Dirty shower of gips.

go easy now the PC brigade will be out for us,dare we say anything against these types

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 1928

mitosis wrote: »

"Travelling", eh? My gran lives near Ballaghadereen. Afraid to leave the house, what with anything that's not nailed down going missing (and some things that are), gates, gnomes FFS :mad:
    I've heard of plenty of break ins around that town in the past two or three months. I know a guy who had this tractor stolen in Achonary the other week.

not local but in Wicklow houses were broken into in the evening with people in them,one woman was confronted and ordered to hand over all her rings and other jewellery.

I have to question are these cash for gold outlets fuelling these crime sprees,is it that simple to pass stolen gold in these places??and what sort of regulation have they??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

I have to hand it to that FG councillor from Co. Donegal who on hearing from a neighbour that there was a suspicious white van parked beside his house promptly returned home and blocked in thisvan with his own vehicle to stop it from leaving. Along with a few neighbours theyapprehended two suspects who were about to break in to his next door neighbourshouse, they tied up the suspects with ‘electric cable ties’ and waited for theGardai to arrive, the two suspects appeared in court shortly after that, now that’swhat I call community spirit!! :D

Had to laugh at the Champion this week, with the Garda checkpoints set up to catch these scumbag burglars. Ya, they'll catch them on the main roads alright :rolleyes:. Nothing more thatn PR bullshít, suit them better to do their job without advertising the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bichon Lover

Had to laugh at the Champion this week, with the Garda checkpoints set up to catch these scumbag burglars. Ya, they'll catch them on the main roads alright :rolleyes:. Nothing more thatn PR bullshít, suit them better to do their job without advertising the fact.

Well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭leana

They may as well be standing in the middle of the road trying to catch them as trying to get them in the average patrol car-a 1.6 litre ford with 250,000 kms on the clock. It's madness, people are afraid to leave their homes and have to have all doors locked even when they're in. You'll have another Padraig Nally case before the powers that be decide that this is an important issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Wheres's <snip> when we need him?

Luca Brasi, its inappropriate to name previous cases in this context. I'd ask you to refrain from doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bichon Lover

Neighbour rang Gardai re Silver Avensis with LS in registration (sorry, do not have full number), seen in North Sligo.
    They would like to talk to the driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Hmm. Nine Garda stations to close in Sligo/Leitrim: http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=23387

Aclare, Ballyfarnon, Easkey, Cloone, Dromod, Keshcarrigan, Domahair, Glenfarne and Cliffoney.

I haven't been around in a good few years but the Easkey Garda station wasn't manned full time anyway, the Guards would normally have to come from Ballina (Ballymote now) when an incident occurred. It's still not good for the area to lose Garda presence, part time or not. Are the rest of the stations marked for closure part time?

Advertisement