Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural Robberies!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I can only speak for Ballyfarnon. There is supposed to be a Guard there in the mornings but whenever I've driven past before 1pm the Garda station has been closed.

The Guard in Ballyfarnon used to have to share a patrol car with the Guard in Riverstown.

Guards will now have to come from Ballymote to any incidents in this area and that will take 45 minutes to one hour. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

A house near me was robbed about 3 0r 4 weeks back. Owners of the house was gone to a funeral and came back to find passports and a large sum of money robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

A house near me was robbed about 3 0r 4 weeks back. Owners of the house was gone to a funeral and came back to find passports and a large sum of money robbed.

Me, you say? Not aware of that area in Sligo; where about's is Me??

Me, you say? Not aware of that area in Sligo; where about's is Me??

Would it be against the charter for me to not name the area?

:EDIT - if it's not, I will gladly name it. :)

I'd just prefer to know where they are happening that's all BW.

If robberies are been referred to in this thread without any context it could, perhaps, make it appear that there is more occurring than there actually are... its worrying enough as it is and as I'm based in West Sligo its already on my mind.:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

I'd just prefer to know where they are happening that's all BW.

If robberies are been referred to in this thread without any context it could, perhaps, make it appear that there is more occurring than there actually are... its worrying enough as it is and as I'm based in West Sligo its already on my mind.:mad::mad::mad:

It happened in Ballindoon.

5 Mins from castle baldwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I know this isn't quite as extreme as the break-ins that have been happening but there have been a lot of incidents in Sligo estates of people having their bin bags stolen and their rubbish dumped in hedges, greens and other people's gardens. Be sure to put your bins out on the day of collection not the night before.

Also I'd wonder if there are people cruising around doing this what's to stop them helping themselves to an unsecured lawnmower or child's bike in a garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

House broken into in ballymote last week. Is there any point in locking your doors they seem to get in anyway even in a town.

Any news of all these robberies being connected? As in any similarities with the robberies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

I live at the end of a back road and have had a suspicious van just turning at the shed. Took it's time but moved once the dog was alerted and seen me at the window.

Got no plates and took a spin down the road.

Never get traffic up here this late. I know the neighbours and the dog knows their cars at this stage.

Living in the Calry area where a house got robbed a few weeks back. Never hurts to be just a little paranoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

The scouting is done locally, practically every house in the country is marked. They know if there are guns, dogs, alarms etc.

The thieves never strike locally, they "travel" across the country to follow up on local knowledge.

If you want to recover stolen goods from Mayo for instance, try looking in waterford.

An alarm is a deterent, they'll go next door if it's easier...

Dogs are better, big ones

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Truley wrote: »
    I know this isn't quite as extreme as the break-ins that have been happening but there have been a lot of incidents in Sligo estates of people having their bin bags stolen and their rubbish dumped in hedges, greens and other people's gardens. Be sure to put your bins out on the day of collection not the night before.

People need to realise that you should never put anything personal in a bin. Bank statements, ESB bills and all similar type documentation should be burned. Raiding people's rubbish in search of this information is an age old trick that scum use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

People need to realise that you should never put anything personal in a bin. Bank statements, ESB bills and all similar type documentation should be burned. Raiding people's rubbish in search of this information is an age old trick that scum use.

Also they want to get hold of the bin bags themselves, which are worth €10 a pop

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

GG66 wrote: »
    The scouting is done locally, practically every house in the country is marked. They know if there are guns, dogs, alarms etc.

The thieves never strike locally, they "travel" across the country to follow up on local knowledge.

If you want to recover stolen goods from Mayo for instance, try looking in waterford.

An alarm is a deterent, they'll go next door if it's easier...

Dogs are better, big ones

the guys responsible for the spate of robberies were caught after about 40 Garda cars chased them. might put someone's mind at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

GG66 wrote: »
    the guys responsible for the spate of robberies were caught after about 40 Garda cars chased them. might put someone's mind at ease.

Was that the guys who were caught, after the car crashed near Milltown, Co. Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bride11

Hi
    Just want to add to this thread to let people know about a gang that is targeting Sligo (and maybe further counties of the NW).

My mother in laws house was broken into on Tuesday 15th January circa 7pm, they broke down the front-door. Garda believe they had some equipment to take the door off the hinges.

I want to make people aware of their MO. They call to the house pretending to sell something, trying to look legitimate with a clipboard etc.

In our case they called on the Monday 14th January asking did my mother in-law want her front drive-way tarmacadamed. They came back the next day rang the door bell and then proceeded to break in. According to neighbours they saw a driver in his forties who waited in the car and two others in their twenties. The driver keeps look out for when neighbours raise the alarm.
    Just be aware of people coming to your door pretending to sell something.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

All people have to look at is the collection of BMW's in ballyfree and connaughton road carpark to see who is responsible for crime in the NW. The same scum are in the paper every week for steeling. Social welfare in cranmore are flat out interrogating unemployed people who are struggling to pay the mortgages but they dont ask any of the cultured scumbags who show up week in week out and park the €40k cars and 4x4's in the disabled spaced outside the SW office where all the money is coming from....Time for the taxpayers to start spend money in Barton Smyths!

Bride11 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just want to add to this thread to let people know about a gang that is targeting Sligo (and maybe further counties of the NW).

My mother in laws house was broken into on Tuesday 15th January circa 7pm, they broke down the front-door....
    QUOTE]

Thanks but where in Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bride11

Old Cartron Hill

Well the break-ins continue unfortunately.
    A small farm house was broken into in Skreen along the Coast Road on Sunday in the early evening.
    The Rat F*ck Ba$tards that carried out the job entered through an open window in the back of the house whilst it was unoccupied.
    Sounds like opportunists carried it out and were likely driving around looking for handy numbers.

Remember folks to lock up securely, check that all locks work and that doors & window frames are secure & functioning.
    It’s not a bad idea to check that the same is the case on the houses of elderly neighbors either or indeed to keep an eye on neighbors in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I can't believe people are still stupid enough to be leaving windows open, with all the crap that's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wicklowlad

Reference BONZOS comment
    "All people have to look at is the collection of BMW's in ballyfree and connaughton road carpark to see who is responsible for crime in the NW."

Where is the ballyfree carpark so I can have a look at these BMW'S???

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

wicklowlad wrote: »
    Reference BONZOS comment
    "All people have to look at is the collection of BMW's in ballyfree and connaughton road carpark to see who is responsible for crime in the NW."

Where is the ballyfree carpark so I can have a look at these BMW'S???

here is Ballyfree halting site
    https://www.google.ie/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d7806!2d-8.4907446!3d54.2516797

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wicklowlad

Waterboy15
    Many thanks for that as I thought it might have been Ballyfree in Wicklow! Too far to have a look as areas in Dublin are closer???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

wicklowlad wrote: »
    Waterboy15
    Many thanks for that as I thought it might have been Ballyfree in Wicklow! Too far to have a look as areas in Dublin are closer???

Well it is the Sligo forum after all ;)

Advertisement