Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Landlords from hell

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sorry if this is a stupid question :o

But whats all this mention of tax relief and contacting the revenue?
    If you rent, you are entitled to lower tax or something back or something?

You are only entitled to rent relief if you started renting before the end of 2010 and are still in the same place. Rent relief was removed a few budgets ago.

Contacting the revenue is something all tenants should do if they are paying in cash and have a landlord behaving like the whole thing is underhand. I say that as a landlord who has just paid my full boatload of tax, and preliminary tax, those feckers paying nothing need sorting out.

I am a tenant now as well, and it took me ages to find an unfurnished place. I brought my own washing machine, dryer etc, so those are my own responsibility, which is the way I want it. I really hope Ireland is veering more towards the unfurnished places, away from the studenty type rental with crappy furniture and the cheapest washing machine/cooker on the market. The standard would rise if people brought their own stuff with them, as the investment would go into the bones of the building, windows, insulation, electrical and heating, instead of the constant maintenance of furniture and appliances as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭omck80

Contact threshold for advice they are very good. I had to contact them over my last landlord. In the month before I moved he had me a nervous wreck entering house unannounced going through my wardrobes and drawers, walking into my 13 year old daughters bedroom when she was in bed and many other things. He also tried keeping my deposit but bank records showed he was paid in full. He only gave my deposit back when I checked public register and noticed for my 3 years living there he had never registered with PTRB.
    OP I got very helpful advice in the property forum. Maybe open a thread there. Best of luck I hope it works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

A huge fine? You must be joking. Since when is €90 a huge fine? Even to a landlord.

€90 is the cost of registering the tenancy, the fine can be up to €3,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

pwurple wrote: »
    . I really hope Ireland is veering more towards the unfurnished places, away from the studenty type rental with crappy furniture and the cheapest washing machine/cooker on the market. The standard would rise if people brought their own stuff with them, as the investment would go into the bones of the building, windows, insulation, electrical and heating, instead of the constant maintenance of furniture and appliances as it is now.

I disagree, there are some landlords who are just plain stingy and will never spend a cent on their buildings unless it's absolutely necessary. If they didn't have to pay for upkeep of furniture they would just shove the saved money in their own pockets instead of doing a refurb of the house/apartment.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

toexpress wrote: »
    Utter nonsense. We have the PRTB which is totally focused on the tenant and to hell with the landlord. As regards taking cash in hand for the rent I don't know how anyone gets away with that these days because if the landlord doesn't register the tenancy with the PRTB there is a huge fine and the tenant can report that to the PRTB. I can't see to many landlords taking that risk unless they are as dumb as a box of hair

In respect of rent books, you have a lease agreement that states a payment date for the rent, most rents are paid by standing order from bank to bank providing a reference and so your bank statement is the receipt

The PRTB is an entirely toothless agency that takes up to two years to hear cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

€90 is the cost of registering the tenancy, the fine can be up to €3,000

If the tenancy is not registered the late registration penalty is €90. After the landlord is notified that a tenancy should be registered he has two weeks to make a late registration. The offence is only committed if there is no late registration. It is far from a huge fine to have to pay a late registration penalty. The €3000 is the maximum that can be imposed after conviction, which is at the discretion of the Court. It is highly unusual for the maximum fine to be imposed on conviction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

lounakin wrote: »
    Before the baby we lived with one of the best landlords I've ever known! Kept the place so well when we left it went within a second... people who used to live there show up asking to rent again, he can put whatever price he wants. Our idiot landlord had to lower his price a lot for us because the place is a dump.

I wouldnt move into a dump myself tbh. Always leads to trouble

If the tenancy is not registered the late registration penalty is €90. After the landlord is notified that a tenancy should be registered he has two weeks to make a late registration. The offence is only committed if there is no late registration. It is far from a huge fine to have to pay a late registration penalty. The €3000 is the maximum that can be imposed after conviction, which is at the discretion of the Court. It is highly unusual for the maximum fine to be imposed on conviction.

You really do need to check your facts again there poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

MMAGirl wrote: »
    I wouldnt move into a dump myself tbh. Always leads to trouble

Well I didn't mean a dump in that way. The location is amazing, the dump part is that I could see the place had been falling apart for years and we asked him to get the place repainted etc. There was a forest of mould growing in corners, stuff like that. Had the place been done up he could have asked for more money.

• Advertisement

You really do need to check your facts again there poster

I need to check the facts? Read the Residential Tenancies Act 2004. It is in black and white.You clearly haven't read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

As a landlord (accidental). I see the other side of it. To be fair we've been a bit lucky with tenants but one group went away for Christmas during the cold winter a couple of years ago. Result was burst pipes and probably hours away from a total disaster to the house. I still asked permission before I entered the house. Replaced beds, furniture even washed the tenants clothes for them before their return. Got the house mostly dried out for them and even bought oil to get heat in the house before they got back.

Yet they still reported us to Threshold, probably badly advised by friends. I was furious. I pointed out that if they had turned off the water before they left it would never have happened.

We have since moved back into that house but my wife still rents out a house. The current tenants seem good and we scruplously follow the rules. In my opinion it's completely unacceptable for landlords to behave in the way described and I would report them.

But it's fair to say it's difficult to make money as a landlord. I just finished our taxes for the year and next year for the the third year running we will make a loss. So it's not surprising some landlords cut corners. Replacing an appliance right now would be a serious problem for us. We can barely afford to do it right now for ourselves.

So it's not just greed that prompts them to cut corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Landlords are a necessary evil - everyone needs somewhere to rent at some point in their lives, here or abroad. No landlords means no mobility or options.

I couldn't be a landlord though (if I won the lotto say), living off the sweat of someone else's 40 hours hard work a week.
    It's not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

TheUsual wrote: »
    Landlords are a necessary evil - everyone needs somewhere to rent at some point in their lives, here or abroad. No landlords means no mobility or options.

I couldn't be a landlord though (if I won the lotto say), living off the sweat of someone else's 40 hours hard work a week.
    It's not right.

Its a service that you pay for like any other. Or you could save up all your money and buy a place for yourself.

Othsrwise theres always wheelie houses. Or canvas..

bluecode wrote: »
    As a landlord (accidental). I see the other side of it. To be fair we've been a bit lucky with tenants but one group went away for Christmas during the cold winter a couple of years ago. Result was burst pipes and probably hours away from a total disaster to the house. I still asked permission before I entered the house. Replaced beds, furniture even washed the tenants clothes for them before their return. Got the house mostly dried out for them and even bought oil to get heat in the house before they got back.

Yet they still reported us to Threshold, probably badly advised by friends. I was furious. I pointed out that if they had turned off the water before they left it would never have happened.

We have since moved back into that house but my wife still rents out a house. The current tenants seem good and we scruplously follow the rules. In my opinion it's completely unacceptable for landlords to behave in the way described and I would report them.

But it's fair to say it's difficult to make money as a landlord. I just finished our taxes for the year and next year for the the third year running we will make a loss. So it's not surprising some landlords cut corners. Replacing an appliance right now would be a serious problem for us. We can barely afford to do it right now for ourselves.

So it's not just greed that prompts them to cut corners.

So there should be a way to bring good tenants together with good landlords! I totally agree with your point of you, in fact, I think it is their duty to turn off the water and gas before going a way for a while. I always did it. I remember back in my other apartment with the great landlord, we had left for weeks and forgot to put out the bin. We asked the landlord to put it out for us and he did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

The problem with Landlords, like most things, is that any chancer can become one, and most are
    There doesnt seem to be any control over
    a. The character of the Landlord. Most seek references from potential tenants, the Landlord never is asked to produce a reference
    b. The quality/standard of the property they are renting. Surely there should be a minimum standard of rental property that is actually inspected by someone and checked out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

It's not right.

They provide a service, eg. somewhere to live, just like all services. Do you hold the same view of every service provider-eg, the hotelier, the publican, the restaurant owner, the builder etc. They all earn money by 'living off the sweat of someone elses 40 hours hard work a week". Every service you purchase comes via money you earned working. I don't see why landlords are there to be villified in a way everyone else isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

It's not right.

A significant amount of tenants are in receipt of rent allowance...not exactly 40 hours hard work a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

If you plan on moving out, you could always blow up their toilet..
    ...or just leave an absolute shtinker, with skidmarks and everything!

That is, after you've stopped paying rent for months, and stripped the copper from the walls, and broken just about every appliance in the place.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I touched a nerve maybe.

Ah well, sell the properties.

I touched a nerve maybe.

Ah well, sell the properties.

No need, all is good. Landlord provides family with somewhere to live, our taxes pay the rent and the tenants get free accommodation without having to do the 40 hour week slog. Everyone's a winner. :)

• Advertisement

I need to check the facts? Read the Residential Tenancies Act 2004. It is in black and white.You clearly haven't read it.

Ah right, well I tell you what you continue to take advice from the bottom of the Dutch Gold can and I'll continue to take it from my solicitor.

Ah right, well I tell you what you continue to take advice from the bottom of the Dutch Gold can and I'll continue to take it from my solicitor.

I'd get a different solicitor. Either he can read or, like you, he hasn't bothered. The Act is online and anyone can read it.

I'd get a different solicitor. Either he can read or, like you, he hasn't bothered. The Act is online and anyone can read it.

LOL Well I think given my solicitors record I'll stick where I am

Unless you have a degree in law, have dealt with such cases and know something that a solicitor with nearly 40 years experience doesn't? What's that, no? I didn't think so

NEXT

LOL Well I think given my solicitors record I'll stick where I am

Unless you have a degree in law, have dealt with such cases and know something that a solicitor with nearly 40 years experience doesn't? What's that, no? I didn't think so

NEXT

Asking rhetorical questions and invoking a mythical solicitor is no substitute for looking at the law. You claimed there was a fine of €3000 for not registering a tenancy. You have not cited any law in support of your assertion. Unless you get your legendary solicitor to post and identify himself and say where he got that nonsense from I will rely on the Act. has your solicitor ever defended anyone charged with failing to register?

RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES ACT 2004

144.—(1) If it appears to the Board that a particular tenancy that ought to be registered in the register has not been the subject of an application for registration under section 134 , it shall serve the notice referred to in subsection (2) on the person whom it considers to be the landlord under that tenancy.

(2) That notice is a notice—

(a) stating the Board's opinion that the tenancy mentioned in the notice is required to be registered in the register and, accordingly, that an application for registration of the tenancy under section 134 must be made by the addressee of the notice, and

(b) requesting the addressee of the notice to furnish to the Board, within a period specified in the notice, the reasons why the addressee considers (if such be the case) that the opinion is not well founded.

(3) If the addressee of the notice referred to in subsection (2)—

(a) does not furnish to the Board, in accordance with the notice, the reasons requested, or

(b) furnishes, in accordance with the notice, reasons to the Board which do not result in its altering the opinion stated in that notice,

the Board shall (unless an application has by then been made under section 134 to register the tenancy) serve a further notice on the addressee stating that he or she is required to apply to the Board under section 134 to register the tenancy in the register and that, if he or she fails to do so within 14 days from the receipt by him or her of the notice, he or she is guilty of an offence.

Mythical solicitor? Seriously? Anyone who owns a property has engaged the services of a solicitor you have to!

Anyway, I did not say the fine was €3000 I said it was up to €3,000. The PRTB has the right to impose such fines for breaches of the Tenancies Act of 2004. You have copy and pasted something from the statue book, and well done you for that, I am suitably impressed that you have some skills however it does not stand to your point that the fine is €90

Now on that note, given our previous encounters on this subject unless you have something of intelligence to say as opposed to just making inflammatory statements which you attempt to justify with no real tangible evidence I suggest we park that one there. It's not the first time you have tried this form of attack with me and I dare say it's unlikely to be the last but I really haven't the energy for someone like you today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Have been living out of Ireland now for 5 years and have rented in Germany and the Netherlands.

Always rented in Ireland, but tbh my overall experience of it was that it was pretty unprofessional.

The best landlord I had in Ireland was when I was living in Cork. I never saw her unless there was a problem with something in the apartment, she never came unannounced either.

Some landlord were gas, I was living in a place out in Bray for a year and when we were moving out the 'agency' (if you could call them that) gave us a deposit in the form of a cheque after they had inspected the place and confirmed everything was up to scratch (place was spotless)

We said we wanted cash as we paid in cash. They said the didn't keep cash and it was all in the bank :rolleyes:

We said that was fine, they could just write us a letter stating that the property was in a deposit refundable state and that the cheque would be honored.

They went away, then called on the mobile saying that they had thought about it and there was some wear and tear around the house that would need to be taken out of the deposit.

I said fine, we'll be staying in the house until you give us back our deposit. They threatened calling the Gardai etc, I said fine then please call the Gardai, they'll tell you its a Civil matter and won't do anything without a Court Order.

So anyway a Garda called to the door, said that if we didn't leave that he'd have to take action, I asked him if he had an order from the court to do this, he said "Don't you get smart with me sonny jim"

I said where are you stationed

He said "That doesn't matter"

I took out my mobile and started to dial the local Garda station, he asked what I was doing. I said I was calling the Gardai because he hadn't identified who he was, what station he was operating from etc so as far as I was concerned he was a guy wearing a Garda uniform.

He became very flustered then, said that he was stationed down in Kildare and was doing a favor for X person in the Agency.

Then he scurried off to what what I assume was his car.

Got our deposit back a few days later.

Bloody cowboys.

Mythical solicitor? Seriously? Anyone who owns a property has engaged the services of a solicitor you have to!

Anyway, I did not say the fine was €3000 I said it was up to €3,000. The PRTB has the right to impose such fines for breaches of the Tenancies Act of 2004. You have copy and pasted something from the statue book, and well done you for that, I am suitably impressed that you have some skills however it does not stand to your point that the fine is €90

Now on that note, given our previous encounters on this subject unless you have something of intelligence to say as opposed to just making inflammatory statements which you attempt to justify with no real tangible evidence I suggest we park that one there. It's not the first time you have tried this form of attack with me and I dare say it's unlikely to be the last but I really haven't the energy for someone like you today

You said there was a huge fine for not registering. Wrong. Just because you might have engaged a solicitor for a conveyance does not mean that the same solicitor knows anything about the Residential Tenancies Act and even if he did that the solicitor discussed it with you.
    The fine is for not registering after being notified to do so. It is not a fine for not registering.
    The only reason you want to park anything is because you are wrong. Why not admit it?
    The only evidence needed is the text of the Act. Real evidence ( I doubt you know what it is) does not come into it. I have never heard of tangible evidence, maybe you can enlighten me or maybe this famed anonymous solicitor can pop up and enlighten us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I've been renting a few years and lived in a few houses.

I always find it ironic that those landlords with the worst properties tend to be the ones demanding the highest calibre of tenant.

I rent privately and have a list of references as long as my arm. But I've viewed some serious dives and those are the ones that tend to be asking for references, about my work, about who I am going to be living with etc etc.

I tend to just use the same letting agent now the whole time because they know me and vouch for me. They also know the type of property I would want to live in so they don't drag me around overpriced dives.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

You said there was a huge fine for not registering. Wrong. Just because you might have engaged a solicitor for a conveyance does not mean that the same solicitor knows anything about the Residential Tenancies Act and even if he did that the solicitor discussed it with you.
    The fine is for not registering after being notified to do so. It is not a fine for not registering.
    The only reason you want to park anything is because you are wrong. Why not admit it?
    The only evidence needed is the text of the Act. Real evidence ( I doubt you know what it is) does not come into it. I have never heard of tangible evidence, maybe you can enlighten me or maybe this famed anonymous solicitor can pop up and enlighten us.

A pedantic little pissing contest, now THERE's something you don't see on AH every day. Take it to PM will yiz FFS....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

I take it Ireland dosen't have similar laws to the U.K.

In the U.K. a landlord can't enter without prior permission.

There as maybe in Ireland you can change the lock to stop this, of course you need to re-change it when you move.

• Advertisement

getzls wrote: »

There as maybe in Ireland you can change the lock to stop this, of course you need to re-change it when you move.

In Ireland the law is the same, you can call the Gardaí if the Landlord (or anyone for that matter) forces entry to your premises (Rented or owned)

A tenant is not supposed to change the lock in Ireland. The landlord may have to gain access in an emergency.

A tenant is not supposed to change the lock in Ireland. The landlord may have to gain access in an emergency.

You say the tenant is not supposed to?

Yes in an emergency i.e. checking gas etc he can demand entry.

But tenant in the U.K. can still refuse and the landlord would need a court order to enter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

You say the tenant is not supposed to?

Yes in an emergency i.e. checking gas etc he can demand entry.

But tenant in the U.K. can still refuse and the landlord would need a court order to enter.

A tenant needs the written consent of the landlord to alter the locking system of the dwelling.
    This is not the UK. We left the UK 90 years ago and have our own laws here.

Jo King wrote: »
    A tenant needs the written consent of the landlord to alter the locking system of the dwelling.
    This is not the UK. We left the UK 90 years ago and have our own laws here.

Yes i know.

Think Ireland needs to catch up a bit.

Yes i know.

Think Ireland needs to catch up a bit.

What do you mean catch up? This is a sovereign independent state and we have more than enough English law already in this country after 700 years of being raped and pillaged by the English. And the UK giving a lead in tenant rights is laughable. The same UK that took most of the edible food out of Ireland and left millions starve and then watched as they were evicted for non-payment of rent.
    We know all about English landlords in this country and we have had quite enough of them thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

steddyeddy wrote: »
    There is actually. Ill send you a pm!

Can you send it to me too please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

What do you mean catch up? This is a sovereign independent state and we have more than enough English law already in this country after 700 years of being raped and pillaged by the English. And the UK giving a lead in tenant rights is laughable. The same UK that took most of the edible food out of Ireland and left millions starve and then watched as they were evicted for non-payment of rent.
    We know all about English landlords in this country and we have had quite enough of them thank you very much.

Tad over reaction here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Tad over reaction here.

And quite ironic since it would appear the tenants in England are better protected than in post-colonial Ireland.

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    And quite ironic since it would appear the tenants in England are better protected than in post-colonial Ireland.

I never can understand how people actually believe tenants are not well protected in Ireland, I mean seriously?

Don't let your hatred of the U.K. derail the thread.

Really showing yourself up by doing it, but carry on.:cool:

Don't let your hatred of the U.K. derail the thread.

Really showing yourself up by doing it, but carry on.:cool:

You should not let your contempt for the Irish derail the thread. This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with tenant rights in the UK and trying to portray tenant rights in the UK as superior is just more post colonial jingoism.

Jingoism - I learned a new word today. :)

I never can understand how people actually believe tenants are not well protected in Ireland, I mean seriously?
    Tenants are well protected, just not against douchebaggery if it's within the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

lounakin wrote: »
    Tenants are well protected, just not against douchebaggery if it's within the law.

Tenants are well protected on short-term leases. Long-term leases are a different story, landllords here can always boot people out by using the "oh my relation is coming back from america and needs the house". This lets them use a special clause to break the lease because it is "required for family use".

In other countries people rent securely long-term, here it isn't possible.

• Advertisement

You should not let your contempt for the Irish derail the thread. This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with tenant rights in the UK and trying to portray tenant rights in the UK as superior is just more post colonial jingoism.

I have no contempt for Irish people.

I am Irish myself.

People were asking and i replied.

Grow up.

Colonial jingolism?, heard it all now.

If you've ever dealt with the PRTB then you'd know that those rights are hardly ever enforced in a proper manner.

Its the people that follow the process usually get screwed over and the ones that pretty much ignore all the rules get what they want in the end.

E.G.
    Ireland, Landlord jacks up the rent because he needs extra money you either pay it or gtfo.

Netherlands, Landlord jacks up the rent, you call the City Hall and they send a housing officer out to evaluate the property and check if the rent is in line with the allowed amount.

Germany, theres people that have been renting for 20 years in the same place and are still paying the same rent they were paying from day 1.

Mainly I think its because the mentality in Ireland, i.e. Renting is 'dead money' and is seen as something dirty, part of the problem is that a lot of places are rented with furniture which confuses the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I've rented in four different places so far. Three of them were perfect, never heard from the landlord unless I got in touch about something being wrong (e.g. washing machine) and they were always prompt and polite.

The other place (thankfully not where I live now) was mental. We had an absolute wagon of a landlady, but she was more of a nuisance to start out with. There were four of us in a house share but we nominated one person to deal with her. As people moved out and new people moved in, that job fell to me, because I was there the longest.

The rent was due on the last of the month, but she refused to accept bank transfer, only cash (tax dodge, I imagine). Every month around the 19th-20th she would ring asking when she could collect the rent. Every month I replied that we all got paid on the 28th and she could collect it then. Given that I lived there for two years and everyone who lived there got paid on the same day, this meant that for months she asked the same question at the same time of the month and got the same answer, and yet persisted on making the same call the following month.

She always wanted us to just leave the rent in a drawer in the kitchen so she could collect it when we were at work, but I insisted on her calling to me at work so she had no excuse to go near the house. I always watched her go back to her big jeep where she would count all her lovely cash before driving off.

Herself and her husband were always trying to get excuses to get into the house when we weren't around. We always managed to have someone home. They also refused to get any professionals in to do any work needed around the house, resulting in the husband nearly killing us all with fumes by incorrectly repairing the oil burner.

The garage was accessible from the kitchen and the door on the back of it into the garden had one of those Union locks, you know the ones on bedrooms doors inside the house where you can lease all the permutations off a DIY shop to figure out which one you need and then bring the keys back? We told her that that was absolutely not acceptable but she wouldn't change the lock. When we were eventually broken into, she said it was our fault for leaving the garden gate open (we didn't and the back garden wasn't secure anyway - we always had five year olds coming in to get their footballs).

Towards the end of our tenancy one of the girls was moving out early to go abroad. She told the landlady, who said no bother and agreed she should lose her deposit, but that was expected and fair. What happened next, though, was that the landlady told the rest of us to pony up the rent for the empty room until we could find someone else to move in, and that the girl moving out had said we agreed to that. That was a no go, we told her to find someone herself and absorb the loss as we all paid our rent and deposits individually, not as a unit.

When we told her that we wouldn't be renewing our lease, she asked if it would be okay to bring people around to see the house in order to lease it. We said that was no problem, provided she let us know in advance that she was coming. Cue my housemate coming home early one day to twenty people milling in and out of our rooms with the landlady standing outside in the garden, not watching them or minding that they could have stolen anything or done anything. And when we called her on it she just said "oh, I didn't think you would mind".

By the way, we did report her to the PRTB and nothing ever happened. She's still not on the register either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

later12 wrote: »
    My sister is renting a property in Dublin where the landlord routinely enters without permission. He walked in on her last week while she was floating about in a bathtowel, apparently to do some work on the bathroom.

He also insists that the rent be collected in cash, for which purpose he lets himself into the apartment when she's not home, and refuses to sign her application for tax relief for Revenue. He won't even stick to a specific day when he's going to collect the rent; just strolls in when it suits him.

He even tried making her pay for the PRTB registration fee when she first moved in, obviously she told him to buzz off.

They have awful rows and she keeps telling him she's entitled to break the lease because of his behaviour; which of course she is, but the apartment is in a nice area and is a steal!

I've lived in the UK and France and only in Ireland have I ever experienced (or heard of) the landlord letting himself in to pick up the rent in cash. It seems to be very common in Ireland; personally I wouldn't accept it.
    She is facilitating his tax fraud - that's probably why it is cheap. She doesn't really have a leg to stand on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Vojera wrote: »
    By the way, we did report her to the PRTB and nothing ever happened. She's still not on the register either.
    Civil service efficiency.

• Advertisement
Advertisement