Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preppers UK Nat Geo show

Options
  • 16-11-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

I see a Preppers UK Nat Geo show airs on 28th of November. Might be a bit more we can relate to in this? Not saying the U.S show wasn't any good, I enjoyed it, but, just for example, the whole 'rat hole' and arsenal of weapons aspects probably only feed the (some) media angles of us being nutters waiting for doomsday.
    Shame they don't do a show on prepping in chez moi! I don't think they'd get the sensationalism they were after when they find out one of my preps is stocking up on peanut butter to spread on my kids toast which supplements some of their meals. Due to the financial hardship the country is in the media would be privvy to a new abbreviation in my household...TSHHTF...the sh1t has hit the fan.
    Thankfully I'm prepped (somewhat!)
    I think I digressed a little there!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It will be interesting to see if the UK show reflects the political viewpoint that seems to be common among many (most?) of the British preppers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Oh dear God, how to can deep fried mars bars :eek: and defend your perimeter with a catapult :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if the UK show reflects the political viewpoint that seems to be common among many (most?) of the British preppers?

Go oonnn.......

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

Tabnabs wrote: »

What political viewpoint do they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Oh dear God, how to can deep fried mars bars :eek: and defend your perimeter with a catapult :D

and a plank of wood with some nails hammered into it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I've worked with self-proclaimed "survivalists" in the Uk and their political leanings were very much in line with the EDL. Plus the contributors to the likes of survivalist boards and the old UK Preppers forum (I left pretty sharpish as it was rife with anti immigrant threads, although the new forum may have improved?).

This is my experience of the UK survivalist scene, but as they say YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Interesting. I wonder why that is. I wonder if preppers in general tend to be right wing (I am not a mad lefty or a mad righty, but would generally be leftyish). I noted that in the US preppers TV show there was only one outspoken lefty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Yeah there's a good depth of knowledge on some of those forums but nothing that can't be found elsewhere without the 'darkies out' rhetoric. They haven't much time for Irish people either.

For myself I view left and right as basically meaningless tags at this point, scratch the surface and they start looking all too similar. Its not connected to bushcraft or prepping in any way, that would sour the experience for me.

The appeal of this stuff for me is the experience of the wild while we have it, sleeping under the moon, making use of my wits and tools to turn a hostile environment into something quite comfortable, having staring matches with herons, and really getting in tune with nature and understanding the many levels of life around me while defying the elements. I love the smells, I love the unexpected, I love finding things that nobody would know was there and steeping myself in the ancient history of the countryside. I also like chatting with the similarly-minded weirdos I meet on my wanderings, as long as they aren't too much like Tom from Father Ted, and you do meet a few of them.

I wouldn't describe myself as especially paranoid, having great faith in my neighbours, friends and family so the prepping aspect is less important, although I do definetely see the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Hmm I never knew our uk survivalists had such tragic fooked up political leanings..
    Im looking forward to the show anyway I hope they find some decent normal folks to show with no religion or politics coming into it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The US ones are hilarious. Planning to live off the land after a dirty bomb? Hah. Driving an 18 wheeler truck around after a peak oil crisis? Idiotic. Living in a sealed missile silo with no electricity after a nuclear war? Beyond stupid. This stuff is more entertainment then serious tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Just seen an ad for this its 9pm disc uk

Advertisement