Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festive food ideas

Options
  • 16-11-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

I'm actually already sick with excitement about Christmas. I used to write to Santy in September when I was little so the fact that it is getting closer just warms my cockles! One of my favourite elements is all the yummy food to share with loved ones. I saw these today and thought I'd share it with my fellow boardsies! Very easy to make and very VERY festive!! :)

vsca6b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

recipe please.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭xtinataguba

that is nice. looks yummy! where did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 action needed

they look very tasty could you post the receipe please

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Omg has anybody seen the Aldi Christmas food booklet??!! I want everything on it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im going to make edible tree decorations, they are basically just decorated cookies with a hole in the top for a ribbon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I have a recipe for delicious 'rum balls', which a colleague here in Denmark makes every Christmas. She shared some with us in work a few yrs back and I just had to get the recipe from her. It's basically a cake recipe which is then modified into rumballs. It is a bit of work but I have found it to be well worth it.
    I recommend you try with half portions in the beginning as it makes quite a lot!

For the cake mixture
    2 cups of sugar, mixed with 2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    3 cups plain flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp vanilla sugar
    1 tbsp cocoa powder
    100g melted margarine

Mix all ingredients, place into a shallow baking dish and bake at 175 degrees for 25 mins.

While it is baking, melt the following together in a pot and then pour over the cake when it comes out of the oven (no need to wait for the cake to cool fully first)

200g icing sugar
    125g dessicated coconut
    1 tbsp cocoa
    1tsp vanilla essence
    6-8 tbsp coffee (ie. coffee which is ready to drink)
    100g margarine

At this stage what you have is a ''chocolate dream cake or drømmekage'' and you could stop here if you would like to just eat that. But for the rum balls you need to go a bit further...

When the cake is cool enough to handle, break it up in a bowl and mix it all together with 1/2 to 3/4 dl rum (I have used captain morgan).
    Roll the mixture into small balls (I do marble sized, but it's up to you)
    Finally coat each rum ball with chocolate, let cool and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭AoifeCN

saw these and thought they'd be a really nice refreshing treat after dinner :)
    strawberry+santas+4.jpg

also found some great videos from sortedfood :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6buvQkg3BVM&list=UUfyehHM_eo4g5JUyWmms2LA&index=130&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-THjBO1zbM&feature=relmfu

Advertisement