Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to buy Red Lentils in Galway?

Options
  • 16-11-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I looked in Aldi, Dunnes Stores and Supervalue and they're not there. I'll be going to the Tesco in Oranmore sometime next week, are they in there? DO you know the price if you where they are:P I have the food for a Sweet Potatoe, spinach and lentil dhal, but no lentils.
    Thanks to anybody who can answer:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

Dunnes should have them (they do anytime I've gone there), did you ask any of the staff? They are sometimes in 2 different places, normally either near the tinned beans, and tinned sweetcorn etc section, or also they usually have a sort of healthfood type section with different dried beans and nuts and seeds and they would be there as well.

Alternatively you will definitely get them in Healthwise on Abbeygate Street, or Evergreen (Mainguard St in the middle of town, Westside Shopping Centre, or the Galway Shopping Centre).

They should be cheap enough, obviously prices with depend to a large extent on the size of the packet, but you should get them for around 2 Euro.

One word of warning, they absorb a lot of water so keep an eye on the pot as you might need to top up the water. Stirring now and again is useful too and can stop them sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Your Dhal sounds yummy :)

Lentils are good as a thickner in vegtable soups as well (for a quick lentil soup for anyone who is interested, 2 onions, 2 carrots, 2 sticks celery, 1 cup lentils, 1 or 2 stock cubes ans 900 mls or so water). Throw it all in a pot and cook for about 30 mins until lentils are soft, and you can blend if you have a blender).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

You can get them in Dunnes. They are with the dried fruit (mango, berries etc). In a clear bag Dunnes wholefoods

They are also sold in Aldi and all the Asian shops, evergreen etc. Tesco have them, too.

Lon Dubh was faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Red lentils are normally with the tinned beans etc, green lentils are usually in the healthfood section. I'd be very surprised if Supervalu or Dunnes wouldn't have them as they are a basic ingredient really.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    I looked in Aldi, Dunnes Stores and Supervalue and they're not there. I'll be going to the Tesco in Oranmore sometime next week, are they in there? DO you know the price if you where they are:P I have the food for a Sweet Potatoe, spinach and lentil dhal, but no lentils.

Sounds good. What's the recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Aroma Foods beside Aldi westside. Huge bags that I'm sure are much better value than the smaller bags available elsewhere, but I haven't compared directly myself yet. Keep meaning to but always forget when I'm in the regular supermarkets. They also have big bags of spices which again seem much better value than the small jars in regular shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

thanks for all the answers. I was in the Asian/Mexican section :rolleyes:

Here's the recipes, I think someone asked: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/96608/sweet-potato-spinach-and-lentil-dahl

Trying not to fall into the unhealthy student trap:P

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

Here's the recipes, I think someone asked: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/96608/sweet-potato-spinach-and-lentil-dahl

Thanks for the link to the recepie, it looks yummy and very quick and easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

They sell them in Marks and Spencers too

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Cooked it yesterday. Very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Cooked it yesterday (finally) and substituted the tomatoes with canned tomatoes, nice tasty texture. Only problem is I added the chilli (green instead of red) and it wasn't really that spicy:S This happens alot, whenever the recipe says add one chilli I can never taste the spice. Anwyay, twas nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Saw today that the red lentils and other wholefoods are 3 for 2 in Dunnes - handy if you want to stock up!

Advertisement