Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Mail not syncing on iCloud

• 16-11-2012 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭

I have a MAC desktop. I recently bought an iPad. I have an UPCmail email address, which I want to keep using. My UPCmail is working independently on both devices, i.e. I can send and receive mails on either device. However I cannot sync the two devices although I have set up the UPC mail in iCloud. If I delete a mail on the desktop it does not delete from the iPad. (Calendar syncs OK).
    Been on to both UPC and Apple. Eventually Apple say that it cannot be done, iCloud does not support UPC mail because they are using POP3 Incoming mail servers. They say the problem also exists with other ISP emails. Their 'solution' is to use gmail or iCloud mail.
    Can anyone confirm this? Is there a soultion/workaround?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple is correct. iCloud is only for Apple services. It can't sync mail from other email providers.

All decent email providers support IMAP, so UPC mail must be pretty antiquated. You are better off not using ISP email anyway. If you switch ISPs down the road you may lose the email address. Set up a Gmail or iCloud email instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Ur[s]uS

Benolam wrote: »
    Is there a soultion/workaround?

My clunky workaround is:

- set up upcmail to forward mail to my icloud email account;

- set up upcmail to automatically delete from the upcmail account;

This means I can receive email sent to my upcmail account through my iCloud account, which does synchronise (on OSX, iOS and icloud.com).

The only problem with this is that when you reply, the emaill will be sent from my iCloud account. My workaround for that is:

- add the upcmail account on my iOS/OSX devices, so that when I reply to email, I can choose to reply from upcmail address.

The iOS/OSX devices are "intelligent" enough to figure out that the reply should be sent from the upcmail address. The only downside is that you cannot do the same from www.icloud.com.

Advertisement