Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours blocking entrance to the rear garden

Options
  • 16-11-2012 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

We are living in the townhouse so you have to go around the whole house to get to your back garden. I have newborn baby and go out for a walk with the pram when I return I want to be able to bring the pram to the rear garden and let baby to sleep for another hours or so.
    But neighbours are blocking their entrance with their bins, it's ok if it's only me, but pram wouldn't fit, so I have to move their bins every time I have to get in.

Is there is anything I can do about that as she refuses to move her bin into her garden?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Koni wrote: »
    We are living in the townhouse so you have to go around the whole house to get to your back garden. I have newborn baby and go out for a walk with the pram when I return I want to be able to bring the pram to the rear garden and let baby to sleep for another hours or so.
    But neighbours are blocking their entrance with their bins, it's ok if it's only me, but pram wouldn't fit, so I have to move their bins every time I have to get in.

Is there is anything I can do about that as she refuses to move her bin into her garden?!

First, the forum charter forbids legal advice, and only allows discussion on hypothetical situations.

Secondly, your post seems a little unclear. I presume that you don't mean to complain that your neighbours block their own entrance? Maybe you could throw up a hypothetical question and clarify the ownership if the entrance and the access to the back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Hide the bin in the dead of night.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Koni

First, the forum charter forbids legal advice, and only allows discussion on hypothetical situations.

Secondly, your post seems a little unclear. I presume that you don't mean to complain that your neighbours block their own entrance? Maybe you could throw up a hypothetical question and clarify the ownership if the entrance and the access to the back garden.

Sorry it's actually common entrance for 3 houses. So they are blocking the way to the rear garden for us, other neighbour and their own. The line is very tiny and you can't pass by if bin is there.

I have asked her 7 times now to move the bins but all I get is just rudeness and the point she making that bins were there when she moved in but I did not had a baby when she moved in so it was no need for me to use that entrance.

Btw we do not have bins so we never used that entrance before.

Non of our neighbours ever cleaned that entrance. I did it myself being pregnant as I knew I will have to use it and now she blocks my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Kevtherev

Horde some bags of rubbish and fill her bins immediately after they've been emptied.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Sorry it's actually common entrance for 3 houses. So they are blocking the way to the rear garden for us, other neighbour and their own. The line is very tiny and you can't pass by if bin is there.

I have asked her 7 times now to move the bins but all I get is just rudeness and the point she making that bins were there when she moved in but I did not had a baby when she moved in so it was no need for me to use that entrance.

Btw we do not have bins so we never used that entrance before.

Non of our neighbours ever cleaned that entrance. I did it myself being pregnant as I knew I will have to use it and now she blocks my way.

Okay, you didn't throw up a hypothetical question, so we're a bit limited it what we can discuss.

I don't think thats a huge problem here though.

If I was in your situation, the first thing that I would do is that I would attempt to clarify exactly what are your rights over the common entrance. You will probably need your solicitor to clarify that. He will need to check the deeds and/or the land registry.

After you clarify your rights, you need to take your neighbours aside (for the eighth time, unfortunately) and have a conversation with them about the issue, explaining what your rights are. Hopefully, it will not be necessary for you to explain how you intend to enforce your rights, should they not see sense.

Boundary disputes and neighbour problems can turn into the most bitter disputes ever. They are best avoided. Don't even mention the word 'solicitor' to your neighbour unless you really have to.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

There is a law or perhaps a byelaw that waste bins must be kept on your own property and not in public areas, i.e. on the street in front of your house.

I have seen Dublin City Council send letters to houses in terraced rows with no front gardens that it is illegal to keep their bins on the street and that they must bring them into their back gardens.

You could maybe check into that and maybe see if the council would send her a letter stating that she shouldn't store the bin in communal passageways.

Advertisement