Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sell by date for ammunition?

Options
  • 16-11-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I’ve been given some 12 bore cartridges that are around 7 years old, they look ok other than a discoloration on the brass work. Fired a couple ok but I wondered if they have a ‘sell by date’? Do they become unstable or unreliable and does the same answer apply to ‘bullet’ ammunition?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

They may become unreliable if they were'nt stored properly and moisture has gotten to the powder but otherwise no. Not unless the brass is corroded.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Have fired 1930s and 1940s issue ammo stored in paper packaging in a few vintage rifles. I reckon seven years old will be grand. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

EP90 wrote: »
    I’ve been given some 12 bore cartridges that are around 7 years old, they look ok other than a discoloration on the brass work. Fired a couple ok but I wondered if they have a ‘sell by date’? Do they become unstable or unreliable and does the same answer apply to ‘bullet’ ammunition?

No they should last years, when not stored in damp conditions, if they get damp they will be useless rather than dangerous, I think bullets would be a little more delicate, I am using cartridges that are donkey's years old

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Got some old brass 12 ga felt wadded Winchester US Army issue shells from around the 1940s!
    Still work fine...:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

There's no real expiry date for modern ammunition, rifle as well as shotgun and handgun, as long as it's stored in a dry place and the cartridge cases aren't damaged. Some consider it good practice to turn the boxes over every once in a while to keep the powder nice and loose but that's about the height of it.

Seven years is nothing, the last milsurp stuff I fired through the .308 was made in West-Germany in the 80's, went bang and hit as straight as anything else I've put through it.....

If there's any sign of serious corrosion of brass on cartridges or cases don't use them but dispose of them safely.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

For .22lr I've noticed that the older the ammo the more often you get a click rather than a bang. Maybe it's due to an improvement in quality control or maybe the rounds are decaying. Either way, I'd personally avoid old ammo for matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

EP90 wrote: »

7 years is fine, I have ammo that is much older than that. Just ensure that it is stored properly. I often buy ammo from estate sales that is older than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

was shooting 1943 dated .303 the other week, no bothers. i reckon you will be ok........... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Small bit off topic, but it may be worth cautioning users of old ammunition, like the 1943 .303 above, that it may have corrosive primers, and to be aware of the implications of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭EP90

Thanks for that, it was a ‘I wonder’ rather than a concern. Tried some of the cartridges and of course they are fine and the .22lr ammunition never has time to age !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

I think the military have their own expire use by date on their ammo in storage. I remeber even the irish army used to hand over old stock/ammo to FCA to fire that was over their date. That could be hear a lie tell a lie I don't know for sure but many told me that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

That would be a matter of stock rotation more than anything else I suppose. Get rid of the old stuff every once in a while. Properly stored modern ammunition doesn't really go "stale" but it's also a fact of life that it doesn't improve with age either so it would make sense using the oldest stuff first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

4200fps wrote: »
    I think the military have their own expire use by date on their ammo in storage. I remeber even the irish army used to hand over old stock/ammo to FCA to fire that was over their date. That could be hear a lie tell a lie I don't know for sure but many told me that

Matters a lot more to them if it goes click instead of bang so older stuff isn't kept around.

Advertisement