Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice bars in Dublin 2? (Near TCD preferably)

Options
  • 16-11-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for recommendations for nice bars in Dublin 2 near TCD.

Mature student group.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Any particular bar features you'ld prefer ?

starting at the Porterhouse, they serve non-mega-corporation beer and food
    then you've the pubs at either end of Lincoln place
    Mahaffeys has been renamed on Pearse st, then there's O'Neills on Pearse st,
    or the Palace on Fleet street.

then there's the fancy bars on Dawson st,
    trendy bars near the market arcade/fade st/coppinger st
    and Temple Bar, which isn't a bar at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Cassidys on Westmoreland street!.. great spot and they have Kola lollies! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Gingerman on Fenian Street. Loads of seating down stairs. Franciscan Well on tap for 3:50 as well I think which is brilliant value!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

I think the Foggy Dew beside the central bank is a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

The Bank is great, if possbily a bit overpriced. Nice atmosphere and cool interior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Any particular bar features you'ld prefer ?

Hmmm, a nice not total tourist crowd and good beer really :)
    starting at the Porterhouse they serve non-mega-corporation beer and food

It's funny you should mention the Porterhouse, it's where we often inevitably end up, where I inevitably end up drinking Tiger! Unfortunately the Central one doesn't sell Warsteiner :(

I like the Porterhouse, it would just be nice to go somewhere different. Should have never arranged for us to not meet at the Trinity College bar, and by the time I'd realised that it was too later to change! Going to try steward everyone away from it soon after meeting.
    then you've the pubs at either end of Lincoln place
    Mahaffeys has been renamed on Pearse st, then there's O'Neills on Pearse st,
    or the Palace on Fleet street.
    Naid23 wrote: »
    Cassidys on Westmoreland street!.. great spot and they have Kola lollies! :D

I think we would prefer to stay closer to Grafton Street/Dame Street etc.
    then there's the fancy bars on Dawson st,
    I've been, very poserish and not in the mood for it.
    trendy bars near the market arcade/fade st/coppinger st
    Oh?
    and Temple Bar, which isn't a bar at all....

Yes, Temple Bar is always there, anywhere you'd recommend?
    Scortho wrote: »
    Gingerman on Fenian Street. Loads of seating down stairs. Franciscan Well on tap for 3:50 as well I think which is brilliant value!

There recently, nice spot! Might have to try the Franciscan Well!
    ceekay74 wrote: »
    I think the Foggy Dew beside the central bank is a great spot.

When I read that I was on the phone saying to somebody I had been before and it seemed nice - the person on the other end of the phone said it's a 'gay bar, part of the pink triangle with the George and Front Lounge'. The Foggy Dew is a Gay Bar?
    Jev/N wrote: »
    The Bank is great, if possbily a bit overpriced. Nice atmosphere and cool interior

Is that the old Ulster Bank on College Green? I know it's beside it at least....

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Scortho wrote: »

+1 on the Gingerman, it's a nice spot and it's well suited to a group of mature students.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

dusf wrote: »
    Hmmm, a nice not total tourist crowd and good beer really :)

It's funny you should mention the Porterhouse, it's where we often inevitably end up, where I inevitably end up drinking Tiger! Unfortunately the Central one doesn't sell Warsteiner :(

I like the Porterhouse, it would just be nice to go somewhere different. Should have never arranged for us to not meet at the Trinity College bar, and by the time I'd realised that it was too later to change! Going to try steward everyone away from it soon after meeting.

I think we would prefer to stay closer to Grafton Street/Dame Street etc.

I've been, very poserish and not in the mood for it.

Oh?

Yes, Temple Bar is always there, anywhere you'd recommend?

There recently, nice spot! Might have to try the Franciscan Well!

When I read that I was on the phone saying to somebody I had been before and it seemed nice - the person on the other end of the phone said it's a 'gay bar, part of the pink triangle with the George and Front Lounge'. The Foggy Dew is a Gay Bar?

Is that the old Ulster Bank on College Green? I know it's beside it at least....

Fade street places would be: Hogans, Market Bar, Secret Bar and now the Fade Street Social which has a bar in it. Also South William Street around the corner with Dakota, Rush, Lost Society, Pygmalion and a new bar opening downstairs in the Damson Diner next month.

If you like the porterhouse, there are plenty of other craft beer places. Against the grain, Brew Dock, Messers Maguires, Black Sheep, Bull and Castle etc..

Really good craft beer one in Temple bar thats pretty new called the Brewery Lane- above the merchants arch bar-another lovely place!
    New really cool place called the Vintage Cocktail club on Temple Bar Square too

The Bank bar is jusr up from the new Abercrombis shop on Dame Street. It is a beautiful buidling.

have you tried Dame Lane? lots of good places along there, Stags head, 4 Dame Lane, Sweenys Mongrel etc- really good vibe.

Foggy Dew isnt a gay bar. The Dragon is, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

dusf wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking for recommendations for nice bars in Dublin 2 near TCD.

Mature student group.

Thanks!

Mulligans or Kehoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat2107

Macturcaills on the corner of townsend street and tara street

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The Mercantile on Dame Street serves a fantastic pint of Guinness if you're into it, I don't really like the lounge part of it, the bar is much more relaxed. Sweeneys (formerly Le Cirk) is two doors down from the Mercantile and is a fairly good indie type of bar, serves a good few continental beers and usually has decent music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

The Bank all the way it's a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Rezident

Bowe's

Mulligan's also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

The Globe on Georges street is pretty good, livens up after the 10 mark usually.

Advertisement