Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas Boardies Wicklow shin-dig 29th Dec

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

i know one fella who organised a sneaki run similar to this,u cant go anywhere now without him askin ye for 50 quid....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Beyond that, I've broken the thin ice and swam in Cavan lakes many an Xmas. Dying of a hangover, a shot of whiskey beforehand, and jump in and swim starkers. All the things loneswimmer says not to do:rolleyes: So nothing really useful for our lake swim.

Tut tut, I've think you've upset the LoneSwimmer with that comment. He's given it a whole post on his website. I suspect thought he did misread it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

griffin100 wrote: »
    Tut tut, I've think you've upset the LoneSwimmer with that comment. He's given it a whole post on his website. I suspect thought he did misread it.

:eek:Jeez! I'm baffled, I can only suspect that once again the "roll-eyes" emoticon is somehow taken up the wrong way. Its worth saying that I never asked his permission to link his article, which was only ever linked to point out its good advice. I'll take down the link if he likes.

I've replied to his comments on his site, but just in case it isn't clear, NO-ONE will be taking any alcohol before this swim!!! The mountains are not the place to get into trouble, especially so if you are mixing cold water swimming, so the emphasis, while on enjoying ourselves and enjoying the freedom of OW swimming, will 100% be about safety. The last thing I'd want is for Mountain Rescue to be called (although we will provide for this phone call scenario just in case).

Phew! Got it sorted out, it was crossed wires.

I assumed it was a misunderstanding. Fair play to him, he's changed the web post straight away to admit he made a mistake.

On a slightly different note if anyone doesn't read lone swimmer on a regular basis then they should start now, it's a fantastic site!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Saturday, 29/12/2012
    Time Forecast Temp. Precipitation Wind
    00:00–06:00 8° 0.3 – 0.9 mm Strong breeze, 13 m/s from southwest
    06:00–12:00 5° 0 – 0.1 mm Fresh breeze, 10 m/s from southwest
    12:00–18:00 4° 0.1 – 1.5 mm Moderate breeze, 9 m/s from southwest
    18:00–00:00 2° 0 mm Moderate breeze, 9 m/s from southwest

There's Saturday's forecast- it'll be very windy, with falling temperatures as the day goes on. We can decide on a Lug ascent once at the lake, depending on conditions. Trail shoes if you have them. Meet up at the carpark at the lodge from 12:30, we'll leave for the run from there at 1pm. One way or another, the run will be passing the lake, so we can dump wetsuits there if we are going higher.

How many will be taking their bikes? Is there any desire to bike up to the lake, run to Lugnachoille and back to the lake, swim, and then bike back down? Don't want to place too much emphasis on what everyone does, but if there's enough for two groups (one with bike, one without), that's an option too.

I guess anyone who fancies mountain biking, just bring 'em along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Seen as a kind hearted soul has offered me a lift I'll leave the bike at home and attempt to run

Have you decided on the route up? Looking at the map theres an option of the shorter run along the Wicklow way before branching off north. Or, staying on the Wicklow way for twice as long and heading towards Corrigasleggaun. The latter being a much wetter option I'd expect. Theres the zig zag / Clohernagh route too but that involves road running (;)).. so looks like option 1 to me?

Here's the proposed route. Its all trail running to the lake, so even if people only wear road runners that would do. Pretty wet everywhere else, though. The spur to Lug summit is weather dependent. I'd like to come down via the zigzags for the views, but again if the mist and rain is down we can descend the way we came up. I'm using the brilliant EastWest map.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Fw1maQvL4zI/UNy6PgUAT5I/AAAAAAAAAxo/1F7gfVh5wxI/s800/Glenmalure%20route.jpg" height="590" width="800"[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Cool thanks. Yeah, like those maps. I've spent lots of time pouring over them looking at names of the various features. I'd be interested to know what sources all combined to provide same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

:D
    Today Thursday 27th December 2012 mountain rescue were contacted by An Garda Siochana at 16.50hrs for a party of 5 lost on Lugnaquillia Mountain.

The group started their walk from the Glenmalure side of Lugnaquillia Mountain and had become disorientated due to fading light and visibility.

Members of the Dublin/Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team and the Glen of Imaal Red Cross Mountain Rescue Team liaised with the group and using the technology “Sarloc” developed by Russ Hore from Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Team. Mountain Rescue were able to locate the group who were in the Impact Zone of the Military Artillery Range.

The group who were in good spirits were asked to remain at that location due to the dangerous nature of the impact zone which they had strayed into and await the arrival of mountain rescue and the army range wardens to assist them safely off the mountain.

The group were located safe and well and all 5 were walked safely off the mountain and transported back to Glenmalure where they had began their days walk.

Mountain Rescue would like to thank the army ranger staff for their assistance with this callout.

Let's not become Sunday's Fish and Chips wrappers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

How many will be taking their bikes? Is there any desire to bike up to the lake, run to Lugnachoille and back to the lake, swim, and then bike back down? Don't want to place too much emphasis on what everyone does, but if there's enough for two groups (one with bike, one without), that's an option too.

I guess anyone who fancies mountain biking, just bring 'em along.

I was thinkin of biking from Wickla to lodge but taxi man may not like idea of taking it back

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    :D

Let's not become Sunday's Fish and Chips wrappers

Too true, and I have history from the top of Lug myself (turned second place in a race into a two-hour excursion), so we'll keep a good eye on the weather if we are to ascend it. Horribly easy to get disorientated once the fog and soup roll in.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Serious question: am I too slow to do this with you guys? Don't want to hold anyone back.

Oryx wrote: »
    Serious question: am I too slow to do this with you guys? Don't want to hold anyone back.

Serious answer: you're currently a faster runner than I am- and I'll be holding the map. Going up we'll stay as a group, going down , anyone who wants to stretch the legs can go for it. This is all about a good day out somewhere beautiful, and your presence will provide at least 50% of that beauty.

Serious answer: you're currently a faster runner than I am- and I'll be holding the map. Going up we'll stay as a group, going down , anyone who wants to stretch the legs can go for it. This is all about a good day out somewhere beautiful, and your presence will provide at least 50% of that beauty.
    There aren't enough rolleyes in the world for that.....

There aren't enough rolleyes in the world for that.....

:D I was laughing as I typed it, its very pukey all right. I couldn't just take your bait and say you're a fast runner, now could I?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I've a shiny new OS map for that part of the world in the bag. You just never know*.

So I'll aim to be at the lodge for 12:30 ish. Trail runners and wetsuit ready. Decided to leave the mtb at home. Weather promises to be sh!tty and I'd rather stay with the gang for this occasion. Plus I haven't been on a bike in 3 months or mtb in 6 and fear my handling skills have regressed :(

*secret hopes of getting hopelessly lost with a certain hoochie... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Enjoy. Looks like a lovely route for the run.

Can't make it myself, due to A) work and B) crippling myself for a few days trying to help Africa by running a mile on Christmas day.

Maybe stick some rocks in your backpacks given the windy forecasts.

See everyone tomorrow at the carpark from 12:30. Forecast is for high winds, so what we do on the day will be based on ground conditions. At the very least we will run to the lake (6.5km from the carpark). Lug summit is another 3.5km from the lake. The lake should be ok to swim in, but we can truncate if it is looking unsafe. Bring as much gear as you think will be needed, especially dry clothes for post-swim. We'll be running back down straight away afterwards so that should help warm everyone up. Look forward to seeing you all there, it should be a great days sport in the hills, and evening in the pub :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Will be driving from Shankill, so if anyone wants a lift, drop me a pm (can pick up at LUAS/DART/Locality).

I assume coming from Limerick via M7 I hit M50, Bray, Ashford, Laragh, Glenmalure?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I assume coming from Limerick via M7 I hit M50, Bray, Ashford, Laragh, Glenmalure?

Rathdrum is probably marginally quicker - I'll PM you my number and we could meet in Glenealy about 12:05 if you not sure of the way.

Limerick, M7 to Newbridge, Kilcullen, Holywood, over the Wicklow Gap to Laragh, over the Shea Elliott to Glenmalure. That'd be my choice, its a lot shorter, but more backroads. The drive over the Wicklow Gap is amazing if you've never seen it before.

M7 to Bray, then N11 to Rathnew, Glenealy, Rathdrum, has less scope for going astray though.

Thanks I'll head to Glenealy and hook up with beepbeep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

if u wanna park up at naas ,ill pick u up there....,save u the extra drive to beepbeepland and back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Have fun everyone! Stay safe....and Oryx, do us hoochies proud!!! :)

Enjoy today all. Gutted I can't make it - wife's dad in hospital so on last minute babysitting duty. Big thanks to Paul for organising this.

Am knackered. Them fit mountain runners would wear ya out. Well done boys and thanks for a brilliant day. :)

• Advertisement

Am knackered. Them fit mountain runners would wear ya out. Well done boys and thanks for a brilliant day. :)

Cheers for coming Oryx, you did Dory proud in da water. It was very nice to meet everyone today, good fun. Bloody cold out there!

[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-RTGV5abxtzs/UN9m7gVChBI/AAAAAAAAAy8/ilNGpWy1jGA/s800/IMAG0190.jpg" height="531" width="800"[/IMG]

Advertisement