Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

healthiest take away?

• 16-11-2012 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

I prepare and cook all my breakfasts/lunch/dinners 6 days a week, so either on a Friday or Saturday I treat myself to a Thai. Usually a chicken red thai curry with boiled rice (nom).
    Treat night use to be an Eddie rockets but always found myself very sluggish and felt like crap after eating it.

Had a disagreement with my sister last night who tried to tell me that a Burger and chips from the local chippy is more healthier then a Thai :confused:

What do you guys think ? Am I right in saying Thai is the best option ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭emmbaasee

The coconut milk in the red curry is high in fat. depending on the chef, there could also be a tablespoon or so of white/brown sugar in the meal. I would say it's far healthier than a burger and chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Had a disagreement with my sister last night who tried to tell me that a Burger and chips from the local chippy is more healthier then a Thai :confused:
    You first have to agree on what healthy means. Some people equate high calories with "unhealthy", so since thai/chinese/indian takeaways tend to give twice the weight/calories/portion of a supermarket ready meal then they are very high in calories. I view them as good value, I usually do not eat the whole double portion.
    emmbaasee wrote: »
    The coconut milk in the red curry is high in fat.
    Yes, its very high in saturated fat and high in calories because of this (which is not necessarily a bad thing). Some here eat tablespoons of pure coconut oil for health reasons, i.e. not all people equate high calories, high fat or saturated fat as being "unhealthy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Life is short. take away once a week won't do you much harm. thai food would have to be one of the best take away options. As i said life is short. enjoy your take away. sometimes its the small things that keep us going. my very humble opinion anyway

Loads of the kids & teenagers in my area get half portions of chips in the Chinese and. I noticed a few women getting a "small" chicken chow mein, which comes in a small tray for €5 rather than €6.80, the tray you usually get just rice in. This small tray is still a very decent portion.

I have seen the local chipper do half portions of chips too, it even registers it on the receipt.

However these things are not on the menu, just ask & see.

I also just get starters with no rice/noodles/chips. These are often very big and I sometimes cannot even finish it, and I am known as a biggish eater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Camile give an option of getting Asian greens instead of rice/noodles/chips with their stir fries - for a non-creamy sauce that would be a very good option.

• Advertisement

Camile give an option
    Yep, no harm asking in others too. Most will have a stir fry veg thing on the menu in the extras section -typically around the same price as noodles.

My local only has chips/boiled rice/fried rice on the menu as options with meals, fried rice being 30c more -but loads of people get noodles, which are 60c extra.

Advertisement