Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1986 Mercedes W124 250D Stolen From Tallaght

• 16-11-2012 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A friend of mine had his 1986 W124 stolen from South City Business Park in Tallaght on Tuesday 13th November at 1:30 pm.

It was taken by a yellow Ford Transit recovery truck.

Pictures of the car and truck below.

If anyone has any info that may be of assistance can they contact me by PM or on 0868548629 please.

Thanks,

George

5474BI.png

5474BI001.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Hi all,

A friend of mine had his 1986 W124 stolen from South City Business Park in Tallaght on Tuesday 13th November at 1:30 pm.

It was taken by a yellow Ford Transit recovery truck.

Pictures of the car and truck below.

If anyone has any info that may be of assistance can they contact me by PM or on 0868548629 please.

Thanks,

George

5474BI.png

5474BI001.jpg

Are the gardai helping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭w124man

Well it wasn't used as a getaway car so it can only be on its way the the continent south of the Med in parts!

I do hope not though ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

And an original Irish reg as well - gas, there's loads of them for sale for reasonable money why would you bother risking it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

Capri wrote: »
    And an original Irish reg as well - gas, there's loads of them for sale for reasonable money why would you bother risking it?
    <snip> but not allowed discuss on boards it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Bastards.

• Advertisement

With the price of scrap these days and the odd dodgy scrapper still willing to take on stuff of unknown origin and crush it on the spot, nothing would surprise me. I hope I'm wrong.

Thats a very distinctive recovery truck - if I see it I'll be onto the cops straightaway. (Tho the driver could just say he had been told to recover the Merc - not that many of them will do because AFIK they have to have keys etc to perform such an op. :mad: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Have you more cctv footage of the actual loading process or of the men involved ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

You should put an add on Done Deal in a few of the motoring sections like damaged repairables , classics, parts ect , surely someone on their will recognise the truck .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ahal wrote: »
    but not allowed discuss on boards it seems

Indeed. Don't do it again.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. Don't do it again.

Sorry for referring to your 6k porsche as overpriced, but then again calling people names on the 'This week's bargains I'm not buying' isn't very nice either. Can we move on from this in 2013? It's getting a bit childish. You should edit posts based on the content, not personal grudges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

On a container to a third world country Id say they love the diesel mercs out there. Cheeky :o

<snip> but not allowed discuss on boards it seems

Nothing at all controversial in this post, you just edited it (as per previous posts of mine) to misrepresent me and make people think that you had good reason to edit it. For the love of Christ, be a man about it if you're going to insult people and then get all sensitive for 12 months + :rolleyes:

Nothing at all controversial in this post, you just edited it (as per previous posts of mine) to misrepresent me and make people think that you had good reason to edit it. For the love of Christ, be a man about it if you're going to insult people and then get all sensitive for 12 months + :rolleyes:
    Sorry for referring to your 6k porsche as overpriced, but then again calling people names on the 'This week's bargains I'm not buying' isn't very nice either. Can we move on from this in 2013? It's getting a bit childish. You should edit posts based on the content, not personal grudges.

Insulting travellers is not tolerated on boards.ie. You were warned about this before. You were warned about this again today. Instead of heeding the warning, you chose to discuss moderation on thread. Take a week off to think about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

shawnee wrote: »
    On a container to a third world country Id say they love the diesel mercs out there. Cheeky :o

Doubtful. If your going to the risk and financial trouble of nicking a car and sending it there they would either get a newer model than a W124 or something where being a RHD isn't so important, such like a Landcruiser or Pajero.

That car is more valuable as a breaker in Europe than as a complete car in Africa. You'd be lucky to get €2000 for it down there, minus shipping costs, port fees, middle men etc. it's not worth the hassle. A lot of stolen cars end up down there but they are much newer models and a lot of them are insurance jobs as well.

I'd say it's going to be broken for parts and the rest will be baled here in Ireland.

Usually those business parks have numerous cctvs operating. Adjacent business premises may have footage of truck entering or leaving the vicinity.
    Has your mate followed it up with local mobile security units who may have seen the truck in the locality at the time in question.
    Its no secret who is behind a lot of this "car snatching for scrap" business and it would be great if even one of those outfits could be put away for 6 months if this case could be followed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Is there any way to protect a car from this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

The only way is a tracker device.Now i dont know what the prices of these are fitted .But whan you think about it ,if you left a cheap mobile phone switched on and pluged into charge somewhere hidden in the car .That could be tracked as far as i know.Just an idea.

I believe someone got the reg of the yellow Transit whilst operating in Clondalkin ..... turned out to be off a Golf

Unlikely with the ANPR devices on some of the Garda cars, it'd go off (in theory :rolleyes: ) , OR maybe someone misread the number :( . I'd be following it at a distance until the cops responded - mind you, no certainty that anybody would be off the streets after that either. 'Laws' are only for law abiding citizens? - the crims usually get away with it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

bijapos wrote: »
    Doubtful. If your going to the risk and financial trouble of nicking a car and sending it there they would either get a newer model than a W124 or something where being a RHD isn't so important, such like a Landcruiser or Pajero.

That car is more valuable as a breaker in Europe than as a complete car in Africa. You'd be lucky to get €2000 for it down there, minus shipping costs, port fees, middle men etc. it's not worth the hassle. A lot of stolen cars end up down there but they are much newer models and a lot of them are insurance jobs as well.

I'd say it's going to be broken for parts and the rest will be baled here in Ireland.

I would say the whole car was weighed in, I know that van from around Tallaght, the chaps driving it are from a certain community who collect scrap. They saw an 'old car' and decided to lift it because sure nobody would mind, boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I would say the whole car was weighed in, I know that van from around Tallaght, the chaps driving it are from a certain community who collect scrap. They saw an 'old car' and decided to lift it because sure nobody would mind, boss

This system (UK) might help prevent this -

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=798096

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

bigroad wrote: »
    The only way is a tracker device.Now i dont know what the prices of these are fitted .But whan you think about it ,if you left a cheap mobile phone switched on and pluged into charge somewhere hidden in the car .That could be tracked as far as i know.Just an idea.

There are many gps trackers available now without subscription,
    This one looks pretty good for the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tracker-Vehicle-Theft-Protection-System/dp/B003XDN58K

Chap with a big collection over the mountain from me constantly plagued because they can see his collection from a road across the valley - don't know how he keeps them at bay :(

BTW - Was that car (W124) parked there in the same spot for long or was it in daily use ?

BTW - Was that car (W124) parked there in the same spot for long or was it in daily use ?

'twas only there a short time boss

hi5 wrote: »
    There are many gps trackers available now without subscription,
    This one looks pretty good for the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tracker-Vehicle-Theft-Protection-System/dp/B003XDN58K

I bought one of those from E Bay last year and while it was easy to install, the instructions on how to set it up were a joke. I bought a SIM card with €30 quid of credit on it and it was all gone within a week as it took ages to set up as you have to text the yoke 10 times to set it up and then texted me constantly in the middle of the night till the credit ran out. I gave up after €50 quid !!

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Its no secret who is behind a lot of this "car snatching for scrap" business
    I know that van from around Tallaght, the chaps driving it are from a certain community who collect scrap

No more finger-pointing without proof.

unkel wrote: »
    No more finger-pointing without proof.

Now that we're multi cultural / national there's a lot of 'new kids on the block' that could be up to all sorts of tricks :cool: . The 'usual suspects' might be getting squeezed out by ..... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

That truck is always hanging around, the Rossfield and Brookfield area of Tallaght. Including Cheervestown Luas park and ride. Not a million miles from where the Merc was stolen from. I seen is as most recently as Friday last 16/11. And usually see it every second or third day. Its always seems to be just there, hanging around, if you see it once earlier in the day you are guarenteed to see it again later in the day, seems to work the area frequently. And some very dodgy / shady people inside.
    I have even encountered it stopping dead in the middle of the road to have a chat with its mates, with no regard for the traffic behind.

And for the risk of getting a warning or a ban......Yes they are travellers, skulking around to see what they can steal.

If your brave enough, you might check out Rossfield Halting Site... ???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

aido 1976 wrote: »
    That truck is always hanging around, the Rossfield and Brookfield area of Tallaght. Including Cheervestown Luas park and ride. Not a million miles from where the Merc was stolen from. I seen is as most recently as Friday last 16/11. And usually see it every second or third day. Its always seems to be just there, hanging around, if you see it once earlier in the day you are guarenteed to see it again later in the day, seems to work the area frequently.

Ever bother reporting it to the fuzz? I it might be a case of "what's the point", but just asking like?

I agree, all thefts or attempted thefts should be reported to the Gardai and vigorously followed up.

Reporting their presence in the area should not be all that necessary. They are not exactly "covert" in their M.O. and the canary yellow truck doesnt exactly blend in with the surroundings.

It should be easy enough to wrap this one up i would have thought.

aido 1976 wrote: »
    Yes they are travellers, skulking around to see what they can steal.

You ignored my specific warning not to accuse people without proof. Banned for a week.

Thread closed. I'll re-open it if someone actually has some useful information about the stolen car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Update:

Following a tip off from a Boards member (thanks Mark) the shell of the car was found in Naas this morning. Unfortunately it was completely stripped down so the car is pretty much a dead loss :(

Thanks again to everyone who kept an eye out.

George

Update:

Following a tip off from a Boards member (thanks Mark) the shell of the car was found in Naas this morning. Unfortunately it was completely stripped down so the car is pretty much a dead loss :(

Thanks again to everyone who kept an eye out.

George

B'stards - though you COULD 'rebuild' it :confused:
    I once built a brand new Fiesta from a written off 6 mth old car - if you got a rotted shell W124 from UK or somesuch , it'd make a good 'project' - if you had the heart after this episide :(

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MaxyJazz

That's a shame,nice car on original Irish reg..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I suppose the cops are dusting it down for prints... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭John Larkin

It didn't "travel" far then.

B'stards - though you COULD 'rebuild' it :confused:
    I once built a brand new Fiesta from a written off 6 mth old car - if you got a rotted shell W124 from UK or somesuch , it'd make a good 'project' - if you had the heart after this episide :(

Today's Indo - bit late for rules now?
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/new-rules-for-scrap-dealers-to-combat-metal-theft-3300457.html
    New rules for scrap dealers to combat metal theft

SCRAP metal facilities face a raft of new rules to combat the growing problem of metal theft.

Restrictions to be imposed by Environment Minister Phil Hogan come as record high prices are leading to a huge rise in thefts leading criminals to steal metal.

Thieves are stripping vehicles of their batteries, raiding churches, taking metal sculptures and pilfering telephone wires which are then burnt to extract copper.

But cash payments for scrap metal are to be made illegal, and merchants will have to keep records of the name and address of their suppliers.

The Irish Farmers Association says rural households have been left without a phone service after thieves removed copper phone cabling. It will now be illegal to sell metals which have been damaged by fire.

Metal facilities will also have to keep precise records of vehicles delivering the metal, and the amount paid for the materials. The supplier will also have to provide a signed statement that they are the owner of the scrap.

Introducing the regulations, the minister noted the cost of the recent "widespread incidence of metal theft".

Mr Hogan said proper checks at waste facilities would help to curb this "scourge".

The new measures were designed to improve the traceability of stolen materials.

The IFA has said that manhole covers were being stolen throughout the country in addition to batteries and farm machinery and scrap metal is being taken out of farmyards.

In Cork, thieves have stolen road signs while, in the midlands, thefts of copper pipes, cylinders and radiators from homes and sports club facilities have been reported.

Metal worth €4,000 was stolen from the National Botanic Gardens last March when the lead roof of a bandstand in the historic gardens was dismantled and removed.

The bandstand beside Dublin Zoo in the Phoenix Park – which was only refurbished two years ago – was also stripped of its roof in the same month.

Elsewhere, a 28 stone 236-year-old bronze bell from a former church in Co Kerry was stolen last August.

Metal theft is on the increase in Ireland due to the soaring value of scrap metal.

Lead costs €1,000 per tonne, while thieves are getting as much as €5,000 per tonne for scrap copper and €200 for scrap steel.

The draft regulations are being put out for public consultation until December 14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

^^^That's discrimination towards the trav a certain community who are traditional in their believes and values and still keep their money under the mattress. :eek:

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    ^^^That's discrimination towards the trav a certain community who are traditional in their believes and values and still keep their money under the mattress. :eek:

Don't know about under the mattress but I think they could teach the rest of us something about trusting banks and the government in general :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

OP said the car was stripped, presumably for parts as the individual parts on that are worth far more than the car for scrap. It is about time that new rules were introduced for scrap, although it's one thing to bring in rules and another to enforce them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

new rules for scrap merchants my ar...elbow...that will only regulate the HONESTish ones....the rogues will still be rogues, and in any case no-one will enforce the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Today's Indo - bit late for rules now?

In my local scrap yard, they already record your reg number, ask for a name and address, (but not id to prove it) and ask you to sign to say that the goods are legally yours. They pay in cash but you do get a receipt and there is a paper trail as such.

In all fairness though, some one coming with a Dyna full of man hole covers or an old church bell, would have to bee looked on with suspisicion in any scarpyard, whether they do anything about it is another story

Scrap cars were paying €110 per tonne in my local one last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

In my local scrap yard, they already record your reg number, ask for a name and address, (but not id to prove it) and ask you to sign to say that the goods are legally yours. They pay in cash but you do get a receipt and there is a paper trail as such.

In all fairness though, some one coming with a Dyna full of man hole covers or an old church bell, would have to bee looked on with suspisicion in any scarpyard, whether they do anything about it is another story

Scrap cars were paying €110 per tonne in my local one last week

but if it's a bent scrapyard in the first place, they wont look at anything with suspicion !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

A friend of mine was leaving the country and wanted to send his car to the recycling center but on the morning he was leaving he couldn't find the log book, I told him that in that case I'd believe he wouldn't be able to scrap the car because they wouldn't be able to issue a certificate of mine destruction without the log book but he decided to give it a shot as he'd nothing to loose.
    Absolutely no problem at all arrived in handed over the car received his cash no questions asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is no need for a logbook, it is only needed if you want the cert of destruction.

I am currently looking to scrap a car with no local documents so this is handy to know.

There is no need for a logbook, it is only needed if you want the cert of destruction.

if you don't bring the log book, they may take down the chassis number and can issue the certificate of destruction to the registered owner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What about a non irish vehicle?

What about a non irish vehicle?

not sure, its only if you actually want/need a cert anyway, if you dont I would imagine the will squish it regardless

5474BI002.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement