Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2013

• 16-11-2012 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭

I've a couple of questions I was hoping people could answer:

When should we actually apply for a J1?

Can you book everything for yourself or do you have to go down the USIT/go4less route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

You have to go through a sponsor company (USIT, SAYIT, Go4Less etc) You can apply anytime from when they start their programs until sometime in May or June I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brendunn92

Ya you have to use one of them, they are open now and free until the 25th of this month if you wanted to sign up early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Is there a reason why you have to go through them? Some ridiculous expenses!! Do we still get to pick our flights for what ones are the cheapest?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brendunn92

Well as far as i know you have to anyway. Its my first time thinking of doing a J1 as well so not too sure but i think they give you discounts on flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Penny2013

I see on go4less and Usit the programme fee is free for another week or so. I have read threads saying that if you use a company like uisit and go for less you get hit with really high airfares? I am thinking of doing a j1 in boston with a friend this summer. we will have jobs lined up and all we need is to pick the day we want to go. I know I can get cheap flights for the end of may, but if I go through one of these j1 companies do I have to pick certain flights and pay more?

I emailed go4less about this and the reply I got was " You can arrange your own flights but not under the current 'free programme' offer. If you are getting your own flights you would pay the full programme fee of €279." (go4less). does this mean if I pay my deposit now and avail of the free programme fee offer I wont know what price I could end up paying for my airfare?

Iv never done a j1 so someone with experience could you please help.and like Santryred posted do we have to go through a company? or is there a way around it?.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭G-unit10

I paid 650 for the flight to chicago when i booked mine last january- this was the same as the airline price- just book it with go4less now to get the best possible deal

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BBBboy

Anyon thinking of heading OC or Myrtle Beach ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 creepellai

San Diego :D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

What is the craic with booking with USIT? Haven't a clue what the very first step is. Anybody got any idea? Five of us hoping to go to Chicago, might go with go4less instead, just rang USIT there and yer wan wasn't exactly dying to help me out.

That's why I have used GO4less. I've heard that they are easier to deal with and I've experienced this already as there was a problem paying my deposite online but it was sorted straight away once I sent an email. Hopefully that will continue. I'm in the same boat as you though. This is all new to me.
    The step by step guide through doing with Go4less has been easy to understand so far anyway. And they offer all the same deals and options as USIT, as far as I can see anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Penny2013

can some breakdown what the overall cost will be be please? from what I have gathered with go4less you pay a deposit of 39euro. then 20 days after you book flights then 30 days after your deposit you pay another sum of money? then am I right when I say you dont pay for flights until march or april?

With Go4less, you pay €39 deposite. Then within the next month you pay €220 and then you can book flights once you've that paid. Then all it says is that you have to have the total paid for by march so I think your right in saying you dont have to pay for flights til then. but you can pay it off over time in installments i think. I've only gotten as far as the €220 so far so that's why I'm unsure after that.

The €220 includes the embassy meeting, sevis fee and something else

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ivy and Gold

BBBboy wrote: »
    Anyon thinking of heading OC or Myrtle Beach ?

Yeah, we're looking to go to Myrtle Beach! Looks unreal

Same. We set on Myrtle Beach now. Wasnt too sure to begin with but we looked into it a lot and have got onto people we know going to college over there. Seems like the place to go. Heard great things about it :)

Yeah same with us! The woman in USIT had been there for her J1 and gave us loads of contacts to try get decent jobs.. she really recommended the place! The pictures look stunning too. Are there many of ye going?

There are 4 of us (firls) so far, maybe another 2. We will be looking for people to share accom with too.. Yeah heard its a serious spoy alright.. :)

Are there many of ye going?

haha, yeah there's 4 girls definitely going and possibly another few too!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

OC and Myrtle Beach seems to be everyones choice this year.

Will they both to full of Irish ye think?

shoos wrote: »
    OC and Myrtle Beach seems to be everyones choice this year.

Will they both to full of Irish ye think?
    Yeah I say most J1 spots that are popular , you will find a good amount of Irish people. Are you heading to OC or Myrtle Beach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'd rather go somewhere not full of Irish J1 people. SUrely it makes it more difficult to get work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

SAYIT have a decent offer on atm lads. It's 95e (50e deposit) for the programme, and if you book before Dec 16th your insurance is free. Seems good to me since Insurance is 189e alone with USIT.

Anyone else thinking Chicago? Kinda torn between there and Ocean City. Hopefully about 5/6 of us going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shaned93

Im going by myself and im looking for a gaf to share with people :) If you guys are interested, please email me at shaneduigy03@hotmail.com cos im rarely on this site. Im up for going anywhere but im really lookin at Myrtle Beach and OC at the moment

Me and a friend booked our flights to Boston on the 3rd of June through Go4Less and it cost us 576(return). They ask you to put in the city you're leaving from, the city you're going to and what dates and then they give you a list of the cheapest airlines. The cheapest we found was Royal Dutch Airlines so we took it!
    Hope that helps!
    And by the way, any chance of that job you have lined up if you decide not to go? :P