Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs of a puppy

• 16-11-2012 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

My husband and I are getting our first puppy. I grew up with dogs so am beyond excited about having a new addition to the family!

We are getting a golden retriever pup and I just wanted to ask if anyone could let me know the initial costs of having a puppy. We have the dog bed etc covered but was just looking to find out about how much vet visits cost and injections etc.

Am looking to do everything properly just want to know what sort of price to expect so I can put some money aside now.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

Sarah

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Costs will always vary, but initial Vaccination costs are roughly 50-100euro depending on what ones the pup has or hasnt got already.

Then there is worming which is every month until they are 6 months which is probably 5-10euro per dose.

If its registered with the IKC then the breeder will have its Microchipped, but if its not IKC reg then make sure you get it chipped.

Make sure you get a good quality puppy/weaning food, not one from the supermarket, ie Pedigree, Bakers etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Good luck with your new pup! When is the big day?
    Another cost to factor in is insurance: this'll come in at somewhere between €150-€250ish per year.
    Also, because I can't resist, I'd highly recommend going and having a good read of "Before You Get Your Puppy", and "After You Get Your Puppy" by top puppy behaviourist Dr. Ian Dunbar, available for free download on his very good site www.dogstardaily.com
    Great advice on there to help you mould your pup into the dog you'd like him to be!

Advertisement