Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At what age is living with your parents a bit weird?

• 16-11-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Moved out for good when I was 24. I know people 30 and over who still live at home, not because they can't finance living on their own but because its too handy or their parents are a bit totally controlling. Would you think someone was a bit odd if they were still living at home over 30?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

This day and age? No.
    If the economy gets back to a decent one, then it might be a bit odd.
    I wouldn't be able to pay for a flat on my own and food if I moved out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Not really that odd at all, look at the italians most of them stay at home and move in the wife when they get married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Anything beyond 17 is inappropriate in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

It depends on your circumstances.

If you live at home because that's where you work (e.g. on a farm) then it's usually fair enough. The same if you just cannot afford to move out.

As a general rule, I would want my kids to be gone immediately after school going age. As it happens myself and two siblings are living at home/ close to home at the moment, but when we were 18 our parents were emphatic that we go away and learn to be independent; that's an important lesson in everyone's development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

It starts getting weird when they are in their late eighties and you have to wash them and stuff.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Hippies! wrote: »

OK well thats ridiculous.

We get it.. you went to college and moved out when you were 17.

Not the norm. And definitely not expected for everyone

24 and out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you haven't at least made a cursory attempt to move out by the time you're 25, then there's something wrong with you.

The only exceptions to this rule are still being in college (doing a PhD) or being unable to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    It starts getting weird when they are in their late eighties and you have to wash them and stuff.

the kids or the parents? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

by then they should be dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

gustafo wrote: »
    Not really that odd at all, look at the italians most of them stay at home and move in the wife when they get married.

Fecking Italians!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Mammy and Daddy pay for that nice flat in Dublin so you could get away from the backward parochial town and go to college ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Well 30 is definitely weird to me.
    I think 20 is the oldest you should really be at home.
    My dad's wife lived at home until she was 36 or something like that - that's just not right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    OK well thats ridiculous.

We get it.. you went to college and moved out when you were 17.

Not the norm. And definitely not expected for everyone

:pac:

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Mammy and Daddy pay for that nice flat in Dublin so you could get away from the backward parochial town and go to college ?

They did, it was wella nice, you jelly welly of my rich mummy & poppa? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

At what age should you kill your parents so you get the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Left at 18, i think if your paying rent theres nothing wrong with staying at home.

Maybe should leave to learn life skils like washing, replacing TP etc, especially for guys.

On the other hand what about getting laid etc? "Come back to my (folks) pad there babe oh yeah..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

What if you love your parents so much that you are not physically able to leave the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Left at 18, i think if your paying rent theres nothing wrong with staying at home.

Maybe should leave to learn life skils like washing, replacing TP etc, especially for guys.

On the other hand what about getting laid etc? "Come back to my (folks) pad there babe oh yeah..."

My cousin used to use the line "want to come back to my gran's house? She'll make you a bacon butty"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I don't think there is any set age, it a depends on each persons set of circumstances. For instance I live at home, but had my own place while I was doing my leaving, moved back to save money for college. I think that living at home is fine as long as people are living their own Independant lives, it's when people don't cut the apron strings that I find if a bit wierd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I moved out just before my 18th... My brother is still at home at 28 !, I think its very odd...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

gustafo wrote: »

They're not all like the muppets in the Dolmio ad, are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

seamus wrote: »

If you haven't at least made a cursory attempt to move out by the time you're 25, then there's something wrong with you.

The only exceptions to this rule are still being in college (doing a PhD) or being unable to work.

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm 26, and have been living out since I was 21 with the exception of a 6 month period.

I have 2 friends of the same age who live at home and have never lived out- One is never sure of her job as it keeps changing, and it's very likely she will be moving overseas soon so she needs to save- however, she desperately WANTS to move out. The other friend has a stable enough job, but has never ever ever wanted to move out of the family home. She seems perfectly happy to stay put, and I could see her there for the next 10 years easily. The most frustrating part of it is she pays €150 rent per week ( :eek: ) to her parents to stay there, plus food shopping for the whole family on occasion (and no, they're certainly not broke or strapped for cash in any way)

I think it's really weird if people don't start getting itchy feet and wanting to move out before they are 21, and I definitely think it odd if they haven't at least attempted a first flight from the nest by the time they're 24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

What about when your parents move in with you?:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I thought it was half your age plus seven? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I think it's really weird if people don't start getting itchy feet and wanting to move out before they are 21, and I definitely think it odd if they haven't at least attempted a first flight from the nest by the time they're 24.

How is it weird or odd :confused:

Not every one can afford to move at 21. Some people are in college right up till there late 20's and can't afford their own place.

Others might not want to "waste" money renting and are saving for their own place.

I think you are "weird" for assuming that everyone should attempt to move out by 21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I have 2 sisters that still live at home, both of them are in their late 30's, also my niece who is a teenager lives there. I think its great because otherwise the mother would be on her own. Sometimes its works out good for everyone involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

iDave wrote: »
    At what age should you kill your parents so you get the house?

It's best to put them to sleep or send them to the glue factory when they're no longer suitable for work. It's a good idea to keep it quiet though so you can collect the pensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Living at Home >>> Paying ridiculous rent,nuff said.I'd rather give the money to one of my parents to help them out than some prick landlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think it's a bit weird if your parents haven't moved out and given you the house by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

43 and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

Told the parents in my early 20's that I was thinking of moving out, oul fella went up the stairs with tears in his eyes...15 years later told them again that I was moving out...surprisingly enough there were no tears that time :p...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

It depends on the situation, but I live with a 31 year old slob of a sister at home. On social welfare for years, no intention of getting a job, paying bills, or moving out :(

Before 30, I would say....or else over 30 with a job(or paying rent)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

If brought up correctly/motivated correctly there is no excuse for people to be living at home passed 22 (finish college get job/skilled in career path if not in college) should be educated enough/skilled enough to attain a full time job at least part time and afford their own place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

srumball wrote: »
    If brought up correctly/motivated correctly there is no excuse for people to be living at home passed 22 (finish college get job/skilled in career path if not in college) should be educated enough/skilled enough to attain a full time job at least part time and afford their own place.

I'm guessing that you are younger than this magical line you have proposed? When you are 22 will it suddenly become 25? :p

I'd love to know about the full time jobs that are so easy to attain. Unless ofcourse you mean working for free under the internship scheme. It's not an actual job if you aren't getting paid, you know....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

srumball wrote: »

I highly doubt a part time job would be enough for rent,bills,food,clothes and a few brews down the local.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Kirby wrote: »
    I'm guessing that you are younger than this magical line you have proposed? When you are 22 will it suddenly become 25? :p

I'd love to know about the full time jobs that are so easy to attain. Unless ofcourse you mean working for free under the internship scheme. It's not an actual job if you aren't getting paid, you know....

nope, also older then 25. but that beside the point. I just dont think young people are motivated these days to be honest, being brought up in the celtic tiger ruined alot of them. Not saying they are all bad but most are IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

emmm...when your're married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Listening to some people in here, you'd swear this was the first time in history there was ever a recession in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

My uncle lived with his parents until he was 34/35. Saved up his money from working in the family business, allowed my grandfather retire, yet still pays him to this day a wage and took over the family business.

In the space of five years, he went from living in one room in his parents house ...

to building a massive house cum family grocer business next door, with four bedrooms, three bathrooms, a huge kitchen and gigantic 20 x 30 living room with a games room and a brand spanking new GTI Golf.

Oh and he got married and had two kids in between.

And there was the rest of us calling him a mammy's boy eh ? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

43 and a half.

Buys you another 6 months does it?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

In a Country where unemployment among young people is at epidemic proportions, I wouldn't be particularly condescending or judgemental toward those who simply can't move out.

Unless you want this entire demographic to move out and start leeching off Government assistance so they can experience their new found independence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Jesus lived at home til he was 33 and they crucified the poor bugger over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

Moved out at 18 - Moved Home at 20 - collage
    Moved Out at 21 - Moved home at 22 - collage
    Moved out at 22 - Moved home at 23 – row with house mates
    Moved out at 24 and I’m gone for good this time all settled with my own place,, dog and job no going back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    How is it weird or odd :confused:

Not every one can afford to move at 21. Some people are in college right up till there late 20's and can't afford their own place.

Others might not want to "waste" money renting and are saving for their own place.

I think you are "weird" for assuming that everyone should attempt to move out by 21

I said I thought it was weird if they didn't WANT to move out, as in- if the desire has not surfaced before they are 21, not the actual moving out. Apologies, I thought I made a clear distinction in my post. I meant to support my distinction by comparing my two friends- one who WANTS to move out but can't due to various factors, and the other who doesn't seem to have any inclination to leave.

I know lots of people can't afford it etc, but all the people I know, bar the one mentioned, would like to be able to and would do it in a heartbeat if they could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

over 12....then it's embarrassing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

I had to move back two years ago when I was 21 and its hell. I'l be gone again in a few months though. The mother constantly talks about the success of her friends children in getting careers etc. But I'm beginning to think its exaggerated as my questions about details are craftely avoided. Although I enjoy going to the fridge and knowing there's plenty of food!:P

I also know people in there 20's who have never moved out and I don't thinks its weird but I have pity for them. Living independently is an education in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

at about fiddy-three

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Moved out at 18 - Moved Home at 20 - collage
    Moved Out at 21 - Moved home at 22 - collage
    Moved out at 22 - Moved home at 23 – row with house mates
    Moved out at 24 and I’m gone for good this time all settled with my own place,, dog and job no going back

You went to college twice and you still can't spell college?

"The future of Ireland, right here"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

emmm...when your're married.

God my folks actually think this. It's one of the many reasons I can't stand to live with them. They'd be comfortable in the Ireland of 100 years ago with most of their notions. And their snidey way of talking, Jesus Christ. Attitudes of a lot of the older generation would be considered completely Jurassic in some other countries with regards to religion, race, xenophobia, relationships. There's a serious generation gap for me anyway. They're from the sticks and stayed close to home... Communication is painful sometimes.

While I'm bitching, if I was to so much as have a glass of wine I'd get called an alcoholic for about 3 months. God knows living with them would drive you to it.

I'm mid twenties. Early twenties would be my reply. It's down to the individual situation at the end of the day but you don't get life experience and have the craic as a fully grown adult while you're living with your parents. Personal growth and responsibility are important and you don't get that under your parents roof, and throwing a bit of money their way is in no way the same thing as living away. It's more a psychological blind side to the whole thing imo, and if a person can afford to pay rent to their parents then... can't they afford to pay actual rent?

• Advertisement
Advertisement