Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Yop - I am in a similar area west of Ireland to you, could you pm me the contact details for O'Malley and Keaveny please? I am trying to get quotes for driveway. Thank you

https://www.goldenpages.ie/moran-tarmacadam-ltd-kilkelly/
    https://www.goldenpages.ie/michael-keavney-tarmacadam-contractors-castlebar/9/
    https://www.goldenpages.ie/o-malley-michael-tarmacadam-contractors-ltd-castlebar/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well 3 weeks into June and after a few calls to Morans he finally answered. Said he wasn't sure when, he was busy, might be July. So much for 1st week of June commitment back in April.
    Ill ring then week again and get a date. After that the job will be cancelled for him. I'm old school, you stick to your word and do a job as close as you can to the date you committed to 2 months previous.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

yop wrote: »
    Well 3 weeks into June and after a few calls to Morans he finally answered. Said he wasn't sure when, he was busy, might be July. So much for 1st week of June commitment back in April.
    Ill ring then week again and get a date. After that the job will be cancelled for him. I'm old school, you stick to your word and do a job as close as you can to the date you committed to 2 months previous.

Update on this;
    Brendan from Morans came out last week, I wasn't there. He rang me and said that the fill was too high at a number of points and needed lowering.
    I got the lad next door who did the work to ring him, turned out he needed to take off a slight skim off the top. Would have taken his lads an hour to do it but the lad next door left it a bit high in case he wanted to roll it.

Said he would be back next week.

The lad next door cancelled a job today and came out again, took him 3 hours on his own.
    Rang Brendan again and he said he might get to me next week to look at it but he is very busy.

Told him he either does it next week or forget about it.

If I was to deal with my own clients like this I'd have none, so not going to tolerate it. Telling me in first week of April that he'd be with me in June, then not bothering appearing until July to move it forward again to probably end of July.

Its a lot of money to me and my family, if he doesn't want it then I'm sure O'Malleys or Keavneys will take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Update on this;
    Brendan from Morans came out last week, I wasn't there. He rang me and said that the fill was too high at a number of points and needed lowering.
    I got the lad next door who did the work to ring him, turned out he needed to take off a slight skim off the top. Would have taken his lads an hour to do it but the lad next door left it a bit high in case he wanted to roll it.

Said he would be back next week.

The lad next door cancelled a job today and came out again, took him 3 hours on his own.
    Rang Brendan again and he said he might get to me next week to look at it but he is very busy.

Told him he either does it next week or forget about it.

If I was to deal with my own clients like this I'd have none, so not going to tolerate it. Telling me in first week of April that he'd be with me in June, then not bothering appearing until July to move it forward again to probably end of July.

Its a lot of money to me and my family, if he doesn't want it then I'm sure O'Malleys or Keavneys will take it.

You will find you may have to wait for them as well, its now high season for this type of work. I myself am like a dog with two tails country gone mental again, we too are way behind with our work due to what people call little extras being added on everywhere we go and the suppliers have no trucks to do deliveries as they too are on top of their heads..

macadam wrote: »
    You will find you may have to wait for them as well, its now high season for this type of work. I myself am like a dog with two tails country gone mental again, we too are way behind with our work due to what people call little extras being added on everywhere we go and the suppliers have no trucks to do deliveries as they too are on top of their heads..

I understand busy, but I dont like been told that he will be here at the beginning of June and not bother even appear until 5 weeks later, then make up some BS about it been barely an inch too high.
    He told me last week he'd be back this week now this week he says he doesn't know when.
    So if he doesn't then the other 2 will be glad of the business.

• Advertisement

I understand busy, but I dont like been told that he will be here at the beginning of June and not bother even appear until 5 weeks later, then make up some BS about it been barely an inch too high.
    He told me last week he'd be back this week now this week he says he doesn't know when.
    So if he doesn't then the other 2 will be glad of the business.

I agree with you its bad form I try to stick to dates as best as I can, unfortunately extras and waiting ad on days, but on the other side of the coin the weather has been superb this year.

I agree with you its bad form I try to stick to dates as best as I can, unfortunately extras and waiting ad on days, but on the other side of the coin the weather has been superb this year.

Totally, ch9rist I built my own house and know the story with traders and getting caught, this though is just been full on deekhead. He will have until the COB to comeback.
    If I treated my customers like this Id be losing contracts all over the place.

In fairness this has been mentioned a few times on this thread so lesson learned and should have been heeded.

Contacted me today, well after I contacted him. Said he will do it next week..... :) Its nice to be nice! :D

I was let down on two jobs by builders this week, jobs were booked for certain dates well in advance and both cancelled until next week, so it gives me a chance to get something else started. Just have to jiggle a few things around.
    Good luck with the job Yop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Moran is a decent guy and a bit surprised by the comments. He did a place beside me recently as I put them onto him and they had no hassle. I would be more worried if you didn't have to wait.

• Advertisement

Moran is a decent guy and a bit surprised by the comments. He did a place beside me recently as I put them onto him and they had no hassle. I would be more worried if you didn't have to wait.

Didn't say he wasn't decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I never said you did. That's my opinion on him

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Answers?

@Macadam - I'm heading towards getting prices for tarring a driveway of c320sqm. This is a new build and the driveway is at base level with no filler or screenings. I am now looking to tar the drive as opposed to putting in screenings.
    I know nothing about tarring a driveway so quotes will be quite hard to decipher for me (whether they're good or bad).
    Would you (or someone else) mind letting me know what I should be looking for in a quote, in terms of various materials & depths?
    It's c320 sqm, will be fully flat all around and there will be little or no need for heavy trucks/machinery to ever drive on it.
    Thanks in advance.

@ Answers?

Throw up some photos of the new build driveway, to include the whole site regarding drainage etc, where in the country are you based will have a say on price as location to the suppliers will make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jules1806

I am currently getting quotes for an Asphalt drive, there is plenty of filling, to much in fact, no kerbing, but will more then likely do this ourselves. the area is 340m. Just wondering what quotation should I be expecting so I don't get a shock.

Jules1806 wrote: »
    I am currently getting quotes for an Asphalt drive, there is plenty of filling, to much in fact, no kerbing, but will more then likely do this ourselves. the area is 340m. Just wondering what quotation should I be expecting so I don't get a shock.

Where you based, is driveway suitable for machine lay, any photos?

Did you get your job done? Or are you placing all the cash on Mayo to bring home SAM??

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Hi all

Has anyone got any recommendations for a tarmacadam contractor that covers the limerick-Tipperary town region.

I have approx 250 sqm to do. Ideally looking for one contractor to do the base/levelling/drains and tarmac.

Hoping to get it done in the next few weeks if possible.

Hi all

Has anyone got any recommendations for a tarmacadam contractor that covers the limerick-Tipperary town region.

I have approx 250 sqm to do. Ideally looking for one contractor to do the base/levelling/drains and tarmac.

Hoping to get it done in the next few weeks if possible.

You will get it hard to get a reputable contractor in a couple of weeks, most guys I know have at least 4-6 weeks work in front of them..Ring the local quarry/tarmac suppliers and get a few recommended names.

Cheers. Thanks for the reply.
    Being honest I'm not in that much of a panic. Once a guy gives me a start date and sticks to it I'd be happy enough.

I'll give Glessons a call and ask for recommendations. Thanks .

• Advertisement

Being honest I'm not in that much of a panic. Once a guy gives me a start date and sticks to it I'd be happy enough.

Let me know if you need any help going through quotes etc..

Let me know if you need any help going through quotes etc..
    Will do , cheers for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭shane b

Morning Macadam. im sure this has been answered somewhere already but need some advice. I have got 3 quotes for tarmacing my drive/yard around my garage. 2 contractors have specced SMA and the other has specced close graded wearing course. all 3 quotes are similiar price so its just figuring out which would suit best. whats your thoughts or advice?

shane b wrote: »
    Morning Macadam. im sure this has been answered somewhere already but need some advice. I have got 3 quotes for tarmacing my drive/yard around my garage. 2 contractors have specced SMA and the other has specced close graded wearing course. all 3 quotes are similiar price so its just figuring out which would suit best. whats your thoughts or advice?

Wearing course not recommended for driveways, go with SMA and ask to see delivery dockets as both products are almost identical.. Let us know what area is involved and the cost if you want..

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭shane b

Thanks for the input. area is about 220 m2 and costing 5.5K. includes drainage, levels and about 40 metres of setts to be laid. area has a half harcore half stone finish already.

shane b wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. area is about 220 m2 and costing 5.5K. includes drainage, levels and about 40 metres of setts to be laid. area has a half harcore half stone finish already.

Whats the drainage spec? Are you supplying the setts and what type?
    Does the price include VAT??

To update this:
    I've been in contact with a few local tarmac contractors and they all want me to get another contractor to sort out the levels,base and drainage.

Have you any recommendations for the base? Currently it's mostly a green site?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Hi macadam

Just your opinion on first quote I've received.

Approx 210sq metre sma including drainage and 35m kerbing for €4,400 excluding VAT.

Thanks.

BullBauld wrote: »
    Hi macadam

Just your opinion on first quote I've received.

Approx 210sq metre sma including drainage and 35m kerbing for €4,400 excluding VAT.

Thanks.
    Whats the finished depth is there any prep work, filling whats the drainage spec?
    Seems very reasonable as prices are rising due to insurance costs, labour costs, and material is rising and will continue to rise in my opinion for a while yet, the Texas storm is putting fuel up and that nut job in North Korea is going to put everything up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Whats the finished depth is there any prep work, filling whats the drainage spec?
    Seems very reasonable as prices are rising due to insurance costs, labour costs, and material is rising and will continue to rise in my opinion for a while yet, the Texas storm is putting fuel up and that nut job in North Korea is going to put everything up..

Thanks for the reply macadam.

I was feeding the baby when he called so didn't get a chance to question him in detail about it but I'm going to buzz him later and suss him out.

So finished depth, drainage and necessary prep work are what I need to focus on.

Cheers.

Advertisement