Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

BullBauld wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply macadam.

I was feeding the baby when he called so didn't get a chance to question him in detail about it but I'm going to buzz him later and suss him out.

So finished depth, drainage and necessary prep work are what I need to focus on.

Cheers.
    Ask for a spec on the drainage what exactly are you getting,where is the drainage going is it soak aways where will they be located. The minimum finished depth recommended is 50mm compacted...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ehrconsulting

Hey thanks for the great thread. I hope someone can give me the benefit of their experience on this one -

The L-shaped driveway to my bungalow just outside Maynooth is currently under sad looking 60mm block pavers laid about 15 years ago. The sub base must be good as it has never sunk even with up to 4 cars on it at times over the years. Pavers are sitting on a bed of sand and there is 35mrs approx of perimeter setts dividing the driveway and the lawn. Two shores interlink taking surface water to a drain at the back of the bungalow.There was tarmac laid before it was removed to make way for the block paving.

Im now looking to replace the 270 sq mrs of block pavers with 10mm/SMA compacted to 60mm depth.

Using my handy TARCalc app this tells me I need 16.2 cubic mrs or 39.5 tonnes of SMA.

Assuming I arrange to remove the existing pavers myself these are the questions I have:

- Can the SMA be laid directly on the sand left after removal of the pavers or will I need to remove the sand also?
    - The gate to the driveway is 3 mr wide and the driveway widens to 4mr and then 8mr in front of the house - will this allow for machine laying?
    - Im looking for an estimate inc VAT to deliver/machine lay the SMA again assuming the existing sub-base, levels and drainage are good.
    - Anyone recommend a contractor in the Maynooth/Leixlip/ Celbridge area.
    - Lastly - anyone interested in taking the used paving before it goes to Donedeal ?

BTW so as not to come to this thread empty handed I developed the TARCalc app myself some years back ... you can download it for free from the Android PlayStore. I hope it will prove handy for anyone out there needing some backup when they go looking for quotations etc.

Hey thanks for the great thread. I hope someone can give me the benefit of their experience on this one -

The L-shaped driveway to my bungalow just outside Maynooth is currently under sad looking 60mm block pavers laid about 15 years ago. The sub base must be good as it has never sunk even with up to 4 cars on it at times over the years. Pavers are sitting on a bed of sand and there is 35mrs approx of perimeter setts dividing the driveway and the lawn. Two shores interlink taking surface water to a drain at the back of the bungalow.There was tarmac laid before it was removed to make way for the block paving.

Im now looking to replace the 270 sq mrs of block pavers with 10mm/SMA compacted to 60mm depth.

Using my handy TARCalc app this tells me I need 16.2 cubic mrs or 39.5 tonnes of SMA.

Assuming I arrange to remove the existing pavers myself these are the questions I have:

- Can the SMA be laid directly on the sand left after removal of the pavers or will I need to remove the sand also?
    - The gate to the driveway is 3 mr wide and the driveway widens to 4mr and then 8mr in front of the house - will this allow for machine laying?
    - Im looking for an estimate inc VAT to deliver/machine lay the SMA again assuming the existing sub-base, levels and drainage are good.
    - Anyone recommend a contractor in the Maynooth/Leixlip/ Celbridge area.
    - Lastly - anyone interested in taking the used paving before it goes to Donedeal ?

BTW so as not to come to this thread empty handed I developed the TARCalc app myself some years back ... you can download it for free from the Android PlayStore. I hope it will prove handy for anyone out there needing some backup when they go looking for quotations etc.
    Interesting must check that App out, what trade are you in?

macadam wrote: »
    Interesting must check that App out, what trade are you in?

Hi macadam, Im in Healthcare IT / software engineering semi retired. Any thoughts on my driveway plans? Thanks

Hi macadam, Im in Healthcare IT / software engineering semi retired. Any thoughts on my driveway plans? Thanks

The sand will have to go, you will need to get down to the sub base, and test it, compact it and build from there with finer filling depending on the depth of sand or install base course and less top coat. That is if the sand is 30mm and the bricks are 60mm you could install 50mm base and 40mm sma wearing course or 60/30..

• Advertisement

The sand will have to go, you will need to get down to the sub base, and test it, compact it and build from there with finer filling depending on the depth of sand or install base course and less top coat. That is if the sand is 30mm and the bricks are 60mm you could install 50mm base and 40mm sma wearing course or 60/30..

Thanks again macadam. Any idea of approx costs if I go the 50/40 route ... 270 sq mrs

Thanks again macadam. Any idea of approx costs if I go the 50/40 route ... 270 sq mrs

In or around €27.50per mtr sq

• Registered Users Posts: 12 barney72

Hi macadam

Is 50mm SMA on top of crushed stone (been used for 9 years and needs a fresh load to level off again) adequate for a driveway?

barney72 wrote: »
    Hi macadam

Is 50mm SMA on top of crushed stone (been used for 9 years and needs a fresh load to level off again) adequate for a driveway?
    A compacted depth of 50mm SMA on a good solid sub base will be sufficient .

• Registered Users Posts: 12 barney72

A compacted depth of 50mm SMA on a good solid sub base will be sufficient .

Thanks for the quick feedback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

A quick question. Would tarmacing around your home qualify for the Home Renovation Incentive Grant?

K3v wrote: »
    A quick question. Would tarmacing around your home qualify for the Home Renovation Incentive Grant?

Yes it qualifies so ling as the contractor does..

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tendon

Hi great info here. I want tar and chippings for my driveway in the country will be big area about 1200 square metres any idea of likely cost I'm in Kerry. Thank you

tendon wrote: »
    Hi great info here. I want tar and chippings for my driveway in the country will be big area about 1200 square metres any idea of likely cost I'm in Kerry. Thank you

Two coats of tar and chip would be around €6m2 and thats a wild guess as the last time I priced it was around €5m2 two years ago with 6mm chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tendon

Two coats of tar and chip would be around €6m2 and thats a wild guess as the last time I priced it was around €5m2 two years ago with 6mm chips.

Thank you.

A quick question about "tar & chip", does that cost include grading the old surface, my driveway is basically 6" down plus several years worth of small stone and "maintenance" laid and compacted by cars. So the surface is well compacted but with a few potholes in it.

I would say the ground would want to be prepared and a fine coat of filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RollingClouds

Hi macadam,
    I need to get a lane put in for a new house. Lane will need to be able to take traffic during the construction phase (timberframe, windows) and then just cars. It will be about 320m long. 2/3 of the length has an existing farm lane and 1/3 is currently just grass (can't upload pictures as i don't have enough posts I think). 
    Would like to go with the most cost effective solution for now and can upgrade in future. What finish would you suggest? Someone suggested 804? What roughly would you expect this to cost including ground works? We're near Trim in Co. Meath. 
    Thanks.

Hi macadam,
    I need to get a lane put in for a new house. Lane will need to be able to take traffic during the construction phase (timberframe, windows) and then just cars. It will be about 320m long. 2/3 of the length has an existing farm lane and 1/3 is currently just grass (can't upload pictures as i don't have enough posts I think). 
    Would like to go with the most cost effective solution for now and can upgrade in future. What finish would you suggest? Someone suggested 804? What roughly would you expect this to cost including ground works? We're near Trim in Co. Meath. 
    Thanks.

All depends on your subsoil you will need to strip it back and see what the soil is like and make it up accordingly I would use a heavier stone like rock fill then layer it with 616 then 804 compacting each layer .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Hello, Macadam, I'm looking to get around the Driveway and around the House Tarmaced, an area of 500+ sq meters.
    The House is located in the Portlaoise emo area. Can you recommend someone reputable who would do the job.
    The area was laid with rock stone and then covered with 804 a few years ago. so it should be well settled. Kerbings are also in place. Hoping you can help. thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 fiercefiddler

Hi,
    Any recommendations for a contractor in Co. Clare. I’m looking to pull up the front lawn and run a driveway up to the house. currently there’s just a garden path which looks lovely but is no craic when it’s pouring rain.
    It’s around 250sqm~.
    Thanks a million

Wouldnt know anyone in that area, if you contact the supplier of asphalt/macadam Roadstone or Lagan they will recommend someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

Hello macadam,

Great thread and thanks for all your time and patience assisting people. I see a few names of posters here recently we were all building At the same time, and now we are at driveways all about 9 years later. I have approx 320m2 to cover, do you think the base would be suitable with a bit of work? Also would you go for printed concrete if you had the option?

Jollyman wrote: »
    Hello macadam,

Great thread and thanks for all your time and patience assisting people. I see a few names of posters here recently we were all building At the same time, and now we are at driveways all about 9 years later. I have approx 320m2 to cover, do you think the base would be suitable with a bit of work? Also would you go for printed concrete if you had the option?

Hi,
    imprinted concrete is great when done well and the right mix of concrete can be got through the job, unlike asphalt/macadam you wont finish this in one pour. Also I have seen quite a number of drives completely destroyed with salt from road gritting during winter times. RE your base I wouldnt have a clue but if you get a 120 roller and vibrate the drive for a few hours it will let you know if there are any soft spots etc.

See photos Attached, would you think there is much prep to be completed?

A day with a 6 ton digger would see that fairly ready grade off the filling set in a few kerbs ,but before this you would want to eliminate the weeds. What about drainage?

Hi Macadam,

I have made some progress and ground works and drainage are now complete. There is 668M2 and the quote i have received back is €9,500 he said it will be compacted to 40mm as recommended by roadstone is this sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Hi Macadam,
    I know this is not really your part of the world, so maybe you can't help. I've got a quote back for 50mm SMA and I've managed to knock the company down to £12.89 sq m as I've 1100 metres to do. This is from a large quarrying company and would be machine laid. The other quotes i have are all for the total job which includes kerbing, digging out etc.
    Just wondering is this a decent ball park figure, as they have come down 30 pence a metre from their original quote.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Jollyman wrote: »
    Hi Macadam,

I have made some progress and ground works and drainage are now complete. There is 668M2 and the quote i have received back is €9,500 he said it will be compacted to 40mm as recommended by roadstone is this sufficient?

A lot of "contractors" claim it is as recommended by Roadstone or they are approved by Roadstone due to the fact they are the biggest and best known company with a trusted name. Chances are Roadstone are unaware of these contractors. The manufacturers can only stand over the product that leaves their quarry, not the way it is put down so be wary of anyone making these claims whether it be about Roadstone, Lagan or Kilsaran.

• Advertisement

tigerboon wrote: »
    A lot of "contractors" claim it is as recommended by Roadstone or they are approved by Roadstone due to the fact they are the biggest and best known company with a trusted name. Chances are Roadstone are unaware of these contractors. The manufacturers can only stand over the product that leaves their quarry, not the way it is put down so be wary of anyone making these claims whether it be about Roadstone, Lagan or Kilsaran.

I agree totally with this statement, if any of these companies are contacted they will have a list of contractors they will recommend to carry out these works, they will also be supplying others that they would not recommend.

Advertisement