Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭windyboy

Hi macadam,

I am starting to get quotes for SMA (approx 400m2 driveway). I note that you always advise the tonnage you are quoting for. Once appointed how do I check they have used the tonnage they quoted for, do you give them the delivery dockets?

How many tonnes in a truck load?

Regards,
    Windyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

windyboy wrote: »
    Hi macadam,

I am starting to get quotes for SMA (approx 400m2 driveway). I note that you always advise the tonnage you are quoting for. Once appointed how do I check they have used the tonnage they quoted for, do you give them the delivery dockets?

How many tonnes in a truck load?

Regards,
    Windyboy

Most trucks( 8 Wheelers) carry 20 tonne, a decent contractor hould tell you the tonnage its very simple to quantify, I always carry my dockets on the job if the customer wishes to see them or even get a copy, 400 m2 @ 50mm compacted will take 49 tonnes @40mm compacted it will take 39 tonnes saving of approx €800

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

macadam wrote: »
    Most trucks( 8 Wheelers) carry 20 tonne, a decent contractor hould tell you the tonnage its very simple to quantify, I always carry my dockets on the job if the customer wishes to see them or even get a copy, 400 m2 @ 50mm compacted will take 49 tonnes @40mm compacted it will take 39 tonnes saving of approx €800

I have about 350 m2, what sort of price would i be looking at with 50mm asphalt. I was told about 15 euro a m2 so would this be the rough guide?

I have about 350 m2, what sort of price would i be looking at with 50mm asphalt. I was told about 15 euro a m2 so would this be the rough guide?
    What part of the country are you in as i have set prices with my supplier.€15 is a good price if its for 50mm can you say who the contractor is by PM

What part of the country are you in as i have set prices with my supplier.€15 is a good price if its for 50mm can you say who the contractor is by PM

I am based in Mayo. This was over the phone and he is to come out on saturday. I will have more detail come saturday

• Advertisement

I am based in Mayo. This was over the phone and he is to come out on saturday. I will have more detail come saturday

You know the quantity of material, just ask as many questions you can like, where does he source his material, how many tonnes will it take, is it done with a machine,will there be an even spread of depth ie 50mm compacted which is approx 65mm laid before rolling, does he mind if you stay around and dip the depth before compaction, drainage is it required if so it should be to a main drain or soak away outside the driveway ie in the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭windyboy

Macadam,

Thanks for advise, I have a heat pump so no oil deliveries , would I be ok with 40mm or is it best to have 50mm finish.

Also another neighbour with 600m2 drive is pricing with me, should we expect much of a discount ?

Cheers,

Windyboy

windyboy wrote: »
    Macadam,

Thanks for advise, I have a heat pump so no oil deliveries , would I be ok with 40mm or is it best to have 50mm finish.

Also another neighbour with 600m2 drive is pricing with me, should we expect much of a discount ?

Cheers,

Windyboy

You should get a great rate on 1000m2 if its straight forward, 50mm is whats recommended for driveways, everything depends on the subase, that its up to standard and compacted etc, an even spread of 40mm is ok as I have lifted tarmac thats being down 25+ years and it was wafer thin but still binded together well

You know the quantity of material, just ask as many questions you can like, where does he source his material, how many tonnes will it take, is it done with a machine,will there be an even spread of depth ie 50mm compacted which is approx 65mm laid before rolling, does he mind if you stay around and dip the depth before compaction, drainage is it required if so it should be to a main drain or soak away outside the driveway ie in the lawn.

cheers macadam. One guy was out today so said SMA was better than asphalt and the way to go. No price yet but he is to contact me with a price. Another guy coming tomorrow. Was thinking 50mm would be what I would put in. The heaviest vehicle would be an oil lorry

cheers macadam. One guy was out today so said SMA was better than asphalt and the way to go. No price yet but he is to contact me with a price. Another guy coming tomorrow. Was thinking 50mm would be what I would put in. The heaviest vehicle would be an oil lorry
    Its all down to the subase, Asphalt is superior to SMA, I'd be weary of a contractor saying otherwise.

• Advertisement

Its all down to the subase, Asphalt is superior to SMA, I'd be weary of a contractor saying otherwise.

That's what i though alright. I have a driveway of gravel in so the subbase is well compacted down and there for over three years. i wasn't there when the guy said SMA was superior so it was second hand information and maybe my source took it up wrong as I was at work. I will be talking to him directly so will def get a better idea on it. cheers for the info anyway.

That's what i though alright. I have a driveway of gravel in so the subbase is well compacted down and there for over three years. i wasn't there when the guy said SMA was superior so it was second hand information and maybe my source took it up wrong as I was at work. I will be talking to him directly so will def get a better idea on it. cheers for the info anyway.
    Maybe he said it was superior to tarmac..

hey Mcadam,
    Would hand laid SMA be ok or would I be better to go with machine laid. A few guys do hand laid SMA such as mooney & Kirrane in mayo. Would I be better to stay away from hand laid.

hey Mcadam,
    Would hand laid SMA be ok or would I be better to go with machine laid. A few guys do hand laid SMA such as mooney & Kirrane in mayo. Would I be better to stay away from hand laid.
    We do both, some times the machine just aint suitable for the driveway design and hand lay is the only option, Machine lay is a lot better though as you get an even spread.

Just wondering has anyone used Moran tarmacadam in Kilkelly Mayo and if so how did you find him?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

They called out to me and gave a very good quote. Told me what to do and what they will be doing.

yop wrote: »
    They called out to me and gave a very good quote. Told me what to do and what they will be doing.

ya same here. I take it you will be going with him so. Ya I got a good quote of him as well although he only puts in 40mm rolled as apposed to macadam suggestions. it will be machine laid so thats a plus. I have got a few more quotes as well with one guy putting in 50mm rolled but it was nearly 800 dearer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I got a cheaper quote by 600, hand laid for 40mm. Have to speak to Morans again, have to wait for a few months until I sort out a Tegral issue first.

yop wrote: »
    I got a cheaper quote by 600, hand laid for 40mm. Have to speak to Morans again, have to wait for a few months until I sort out a Tegral issue first.

Ok, but i was talking to one guy who said stay away from hand laid SMA, if you can. Now the distance was too far for him but he seemed a genuine guy and was recommended to me by a colleague.

moran seems a decent guy. Have you seen any of his work?

ya same here. I take it you will be going with him so. Ya I got a good quote of him as well although he only puts in 40mm rolled as apposed to macadam suggestions. it will be machine laid so thats a plus. I have got a few more quotes as well with one guy putting in 50mm rolled but it was nearly 800 dearer.

The diffrence will be the cost of the extra material over the M2, personally it will be well worth it, thats like taking 5 days holidays instead of a week because your saving a few quid its up to your self.
    Hand laying SMA is fine but you wont get as good a finish or an even spread @ the required depth.

• Advertisement

The diffrence will be the cost of the extra material over the M2, personally it will be well worth it, thats like taking 5 days holidays instead of a week because your saving a few quid its up to your self.
    Hand laying SMA is fine but you wont get as good a finish or an even spread @ the required depth.

Ya sound Macadam, it would be working out around 17 euro a M sqr for 50mm. Now there was a difference between one guy and another on the amount of space I have - 50 meters sqr which is alot.

Cheers for all the info, very informative and hats off to you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭creedp

Ya sound Macadam, it would be working out around 17 euro a M sqr for 50mm. Now there was a difference between one guy and another on the amount of space I have - 50 meters sqr which is alot.

Cheers for all the info, very informative and hats off to you

I got a quote for 680m2 recently at just over €12k for 50mm asphalt. I'm not sure though is it 50mm unrolled or rolled. In addition i'd be worried that he has over egged the job as I did a rough measurement myself and got 600m2.

The area has already been levelled with 803 and compacted for more than 2 years with kerbing laid. Drainage has also been installed using land drainage pipe which he said is useless and will have to be replaced.

Just looking for provisioanl comments as to whether this is overly expensive. I will be getting back to him to confirm if 50mm rolled or unroled and howe many loads will be required. Also appreciate any views on the use of land drainage pipes for a drive. Finally would sma be much cheaper and is it a false economy?

creedp wrote: »
    I got a quote for 680m2 recently at just over €12k for 50mm asphalt. I'm not sure though is it 50mm unrolled or rolled. In addition i'd be worried that he has over egged the job as I did a rough measurement myself and got 600m2.

The area has already been levelled with 803 and compacted for more than 2 years with kerbing laid. Drainage has also been installed using land drainage pipe which he said is useless and will have to be replaced.

Just looking for provisioanl comments as to whether this is overly expensive. I will be getting back to him to confirm if 50mm rolled or unroled and howe many loads will be required. Also appreciate any views on the use of land drainage pipes for a drive. Finally would sma be much cheaper and is it a false economy?

I'd agree that land drainage pipes are completely useless,if you dig down and check them they will more than likely be squashed and if their not will they stand up to 40+ ton crossing them during the construction of the driveway, if it was me i would check them and any damage I'd remove,"Land drainage is principally used to alleviate waterlogging in fields and gardens, so think carefully before installing" taken from a book by a paving expert AJ McCormack, you can try driving across apiece of lad drainage and a piece of wavin sewer and see the the outcome.
    As for the measurements did he step it or measure with a tape or wheel, get him back to remeasure it.
    The depth is very easily checked, ask what the compacted depth is as this is where the cowboys make their money the recommended depth is 50mm compacted, over the area of 680m2 is exactly 83tonnes, 600m2 will take 74tonnes.
    Is it expensive?
    What type of asphalt were you quoted for? Depending on the work & material involved, it is probably within range for the larger measurement 680m2 unless of course it is ready for laying which 99.9% of drives aren't their is always some prep, is the drive accessible to trucks? Is it machine laid and is it straight forward.
    What do you mean is SMA a false economy?

I'd agree that land drainage pipes are completely useless,if you dig down and check them they will more than likely be squashed and if their not will they stand up to 40+ ton crossing them during the construction of the driveway, if it was me i would check them and any damage I'd remove,"Land drainage is principally used to alleviate waterlogging in fields and gardens, so think carefully before installing" taken from a book by a paving expert AJ McCormack, you can try driving across apiece of lad drainage and a piece of wavin sewer and see the the outcome.
    As for the measurements did he step it or measure with a tape or wheel, get him back to remeasure it.
    The depth is very easily checked, ask what the compacted depth is as this is where the cowboys make their money the recommended depth is 50mm compacted, over the area of 680m2 is exactly 83tonnes, 600m2 will take 74tonnes.
    Is it expensive?
    What type of asphalt were you quoted for? Depending on the work & material involved, it is probably within range for the larger measurement 680m2 unless of course it is ready for laying which 99.9% of drives aren't their is always some prep, is the drive accessible to trucks? Is it machine laid and is it straight forward.
    What do you mean is SMA a false economy?

Thanks for that. So the drainage pipes are another issue my builder came up short on. I suppose I should have realised that myself! The pipes are running along by the kerbs approx a foot out so may not be subject to significant loads. I might dig up a section where there has been traffic and see what condition they are in and replace as necessary.

He measured with a wheel and I subsequently measured using a tape .. however its possible I undermeasured the area as there are a number of off square sections. Other than that its a pretty straightforward job and trucks can access the majority of it except for a couple of small areas at back of house. There is no detail on the quote other than a need to reduce levels as required and grade level and compact with fine quarry filling. As for the asphalt the quote is for laying 50mm of 10mm stone mastic asphalt.

In relation to the point re SMA being a false econmy I am just wondering if SMA is cheaper but if this saving is a false econmy because SMS is of lower quality.

Thanks again for advice

"In relation to the point re SMA being a false econmy I am just wondering if SMA is cheaper but if this saving is a false econmy because SMS is of lower quality."

SMA is the most practical asphalt recommended for driveways, if you want the heavier types used on major roads it will be more expensive, some reading here on SMA etc
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CIkBEBYwDQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.highwaysmaintenance.com%2Fsmalaypics.htm&ei=z3zvUcvCLdPe7Ab0l4DYCw&usg=AFQjCNG0rXX3cjnDfXAGMD5UVsCxI5ncLw&sig2=GmUoLVLg350-_iN4m2FqWA

As to the compaction of land drainage on driven areas etc be very careful that when the job is complete that the drainage does not collapse as the vibration of the compaction equipment may cause it too,and your drains will be null and void.

"In relation to the point re SMA being a false econmy I am just wondering if SMA is cheaper but if this saving is a false econmy because SMS is of lower quality."

SMA is the most practical asphalt recommended for driveways, if you want the heavier types used on major roads it will be more expensive, some reading here on SMA etc
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CIkBEBYwDQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.highwaysmaintenance.com%2Fsmalaypics.htm&ei=z3zvUcvCLdPe7Ab0l4DYCw&usg=AFQjCNG0rXX3cjnDfXAGMD5UVsCxI5ncLw&sig2=GmUoLVLg350-_iN4m2FqWA

As to the compaction of land drainage on driven areas etc be very careful that when the job is complete that the drainage does not collapse as the vibration of the compaction equipment may cause it too,and your drains will be null and void.

Sorry showing my ignorance ... SMA = stone mastic asphalt:)

Thanks for link

Hey Macadam,

What kind of gully do you use for the run away water?

Cheers
    Audioslaven

Hey Macadam,

What kind of gully do you use for the run away water?

Cheers
    Audioslaven
    Standard road gully box with corporation grating, or a cheaper version is 12" concrete pipe halved surrounded with concrete and cut out the outlet again fitted with grating, plastic is useless as your SMA will be approx 140 deg it will warp and they are too small and not suitable for driving over.
    Same with slotted drainage channels we use a polymer resin type channel as a minimum, not plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nineteen66

Hi Macadam,I have a driveway with kerbs and rolled 804 measuring 475 sq meters.I got a quote from a highly recommended contractor to lay wearing course tarmacadam @ 50 mm depth.I was quoted 7300 plus vat.Saw his previous work and it looks good and stays black compared to other jobs done by different contractors.I live in county Galway and was just wondering was this a good price?I wasnt expecting it to be that expensive but want a really good job done as well.Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement

nineteen66 wrote: »
    Hi Macadam,I have a driveway with kerbs and rolled 804 measuring 475 sq meters.I got a quote from a highly recommended contractor to lay wearing course tarmacadam @ 50 mm depth.I was quoted 7300 plus vat.Saw his previous work and it looks good and stays black compared to other jobs done by different contractors.I live in county Galway and was just wondering was this a good price?I wasnt expecting it to be that expensive but want a really good job done as well.Any advice appreciated.

Probably within range at that price but if there is little or no blinding required it could be a tad over, is he laying with a machine or hand laying.
    As I stated before Wearing course is no longer suitable for driveways due to increased tyre size and power steerings etc, some guys actually supply wearing course and still charge for SMA as to the naked eye there is really no difference appearance wise but the resistance to wear is greater with SMA, and wearing course is approx €10 per ton cheaper, you have approx 60 of tarmac @50mm to lay on your driveway.

Advertisement